Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CES 2010 Cooler Master Mod

CES 2010 Cooler Master Mod

Hey guys since Cooler Master was a great sponsor of our trip to QuakeCon this year we did a mod for them to show off at their suite in Las Vegas for the 2010 CES show. After talking with them for a bit on what they they wanted it turns out it was a car like theme that was sleek and clean, plus it had to be Orange. So with that in mind I did a few quick renders with photoshop and off I went.

I will say this right up front that I do not have a huge amount of images as this project has two main goals. #1 is that is is for Cooler Master and #2 is was also used for a series of videos that you will see on a new upcoming site for NVIDIA. So what you are about to see is just about all I can show you at this time

I would like to say thank you to Cooler Master for making this the 3rd time that we have been able to help them and showcase our work.

The project will be off the base case of the Cosmos S

Being based of a car theme I knew that the inside of the case had to have an engine compartment look to it so the first thing that pop into my mind was a flat black, rough type paint. But to take it a step farther I went and had the whole frame of the case powder coated black with just the look I wanted.

I took the case down to just the frame and I did a few mods to it before I took it to powder coated. I also had the two lower bars that the whole case sits on coated, but with a gloss black to help match the paint that is to come later.

You might be thinking "WOW that must have cost an arm and a leg to do that"; quite the opposite to do seven pieces in total it was a mere $60 ! Thanks to the guys at Fusion Powder Coating here in Arizona http://www.fusionpowdercoat.com/ Check'em out!

While the frame was off getting its new color I started on the rest of the case. I took the metal/aluminum pieces to work with me and sanded blasted them clean of all paint and anodized stuff. On the plastic pieces I used some sand paper and roughed them up as much as possible to make sure that the primer had something to stick to.

Self etching primer, bought at the local auto store for about $7 a can, was used to give me a great staring point.

After applying the primer I sand it down to a smooth finish. You need to do this to make sure that the paint has a really nice base to start from. But for me I was going to be laying down another layer of primer that is used for the automotive finish paint I am going to use.

The autozone right down the street from me has a good supply of automotive paints so while I went to look I found this stuff.

This is automotive paint without out all the hassles! Everything is pre-mixed for you. All you have to is pour it into you spray gun, follow the instructions, and you will have a great looking finish.

Here is a sample of just the first layer of paint on a test piece of plastic.

Bout time we got to see this SOB. Make quick with the pics...chop chop. :P

haha, forgive my impatience I'm just ready to see what all the hush hush was about. :wink:

Primered

Can't wait to see this. I am working on two CES projects as well (have to get them done and sent next week - I start on Monday - lol).

After doing the testing with the paint I felt that is was a go so I started to paint the rest of the case.

Here I am laying out where a white and silver stripe will run the length of the case.

I first applied the silver stripe so that I could lay the white paint over the edge just a bit so that there would be no gap between the two colors.

Not to bad eh? :-)

I wanted a emblem on the side panels and while looking over the Cooler Master site I a saw a an image in a ad that was perfect. I was not sure if was a drawing or real so I asked and as luck would have it was real and was attached to the top of one of their CPU Coolers. All I wanted was the emblems, but they sent out two coolers so it was up to me to get them off.

Kick.... Asss.....

Clear Coat

I love that stripe, especially how it stops for the vent/grille area!

After looking at the coolers for a bit I figured that the center of the emblem was just stuck on so out came the heat gun to loosen up the glue...

A little help...

and then there were two allen head screws holding the rest on.

Now I am ready to mount them to the side panels

Pop rivets...

All done!

While I was at the side panels I airbrushed Modders-Inc.com on the lower corners in a dark metallic silver :-)

Simple and clean...the whole theme of the this mod.

Clear Coat

*drool*

oh.... nice!

Very very nice. Love the look of that logo. Looks like it was made for a car!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information