Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a mobo compatible with dell dimension 4600.

Need a mobo compatible with dell dimension 4600.

Okay, so right now I'm on a pretty poor setup. I have 512 MB of RAM and a 40GB IDE hard drive. But I do have a 2.6 GhZ processor and a pretty good integrated graphics card. What I'm look to do is to buy a new mobo that is compatible with my case that I have (dell dimension 4600 standard) and that works with my current processor. If I posted my current specs would someone be able to tell me what kind of mobo i should be looking for, or where i could find out? I want to get a more current one, without buying a new case or a new processor, which is out of my price range. The new mobo would have to support SATA hard drives and be able to support at least 3 GB of RAM. My plan is to spend quite a bit on a new mobo, but keep my processor and buy a little RAM (just enough to get me by), a pretty good hard drive, and an okay graphics card. Then as the better equipment got cheaper, i would upgrade since my mobo can probably support it. Any help here?

You should go ahead and post the specs of the cpu and what not, I have little doubt that someone here couldn't help you.

well im not exactly sure what to post so im just gonna put everything i can
    this is my processor:
    name: intel pentium 4
    code name: northwood
    brand id: 9
    package: socket 478 mPGA
    specification: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz
    Family: F
    Model: 2
    Stepping: 9
    Ext. family: F
    ext model: 2
    revision: D1

This is my mother board

manufacturer: dell computer corp
    model: 0N2828
    chipset: intel i865P/PE/G/i848P
    southbridge: intel 82801EB (ICH5)
    and i have A12 bios from dell

and my graphics is just integrated but here is what it says

Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
    revision: 2
    memory: 96 megabytes

if there is anything else just let me know what it is and how to find it and i will gladly oblige. i am just looking for an affordable motherboard that can support higher end processors and video cards. also more then 3 gb of RAM. and SATA hard drives would be preferable. and if the mobo didnt fit my case, could i just drill holes in the case to attach the mobo to?

and my service tag is
    im not sure if those last two things mean anything but i thought i might as well post them

Clear Coat

should probably remove the product key, people can use that to install pirated copies of windows and end up locking you out of your license.

I remember some shenanigans from a while back because Dell used non-standard motherboard/powersupply mounts, but I don't know if that applies to your specific computer.

Are you planning on upgrading your processor and RAM now, or hoping to get a motherboard that supports the current setup while offering the ability to upgrade later?

Well I found a Gigabyte mobo. It supports my processor (which is just a Pentium 2.6 GHz) and can support up to 16GB of RAM. Also it supports SATA and IDE hard drives, so until I can track down a good SATA hard drive I can still use my IDE. A couple things I'm not sure about is whether or not it will fit in my case (once again could I just drill holes in my case to make it fit?), whether my power supply is beefy enough to support it, and whether or not my cooling system can work on it.

Supports up to 16GB of DDR2-1333 RAM.

One PCI Express x16 slot.

One PCI Express x8 slot.

The PCI Express x16 and x8 slots support CrossFireX and conform to the PCI Express 2.0 standard.

Three additional PCI Express x1 slots

Two PCI slots

Very good onboard sound provided by the Realtek ALC889A sound chip and supporting up to 7.l speaker configurations

Three IEEE 1394 (FireWire) ports, two in the back of the case and one for the front of the case

Twelve USB 2.0 ports, eight in the back of the case and four for the front of the case

Connections for up to six SATA hard drives supporting SATA II interface (300 MB/s), including support for RAID configurations 0, 1, 5 and 10.

Connections for two additional SATA hard drives supporting SATA II interface (300 MB/s), including support for RAID configurations 0, 1, and JBOD.

Connections for up to two IDE devices, such as PATA hard drives or optical devices, supporting ATA 133 interface (133 MB/s).

Gigabyte LAN

It seems like a good enough mobo, and its well within my price range. Enough to where I could afford a GB or 2 of RAM.

Oh and I'm hoping (and quite sure that) it supports better processors.
    Under Supported CPU and CPU Type it had these listed
    Core 2 Quad / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium Extreme / Pentium D / Pentium 4 Extreme / Pentium 4 / Celeron
    So I'm under the assumption that all those processors are supports, therefore I can upgrade as far as Core 2 Quad, which is probably much more then I need.

For fitting, check the measurements of you're mobo, now, and if it's 12.0" x 9.6", it should be fine (assuming mounting placement isn't different). And, if you gotta, yeah, you could drill holes, you just need to by some mobo mounting column thingers (someone here can give you a link, or at least, a better description). As for power, if your power pin is 24pin, I don't see why it wouldn't work (that's the only thing it really says power wise).

How do i tell if my power pin is 24 pin? Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm usually quite tech-savvy, especially for a 14 year-old, but as this is my first computer build, even if its not a complete one, I'm kind of confused.

Also, I need to know if my mobo is microATX, ATX, microATA, ATA or whatever else. I've found multiple mobo's (the one I linked to in the earlier post doesn't have integrated graphics, and I can't afford a graphics card on top of all this) but they all are different sizes so I need to know the size of mine. Can anyone tell me how to find this out?

That motherboard you linked will not work.You have a 478 socket processor and the one you linked is a LGA 775 socket.They are too totally different kinds of sockets.You need to search for 478 socket motherboard.This is the kind of socket you need to look for .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information