Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible dead video card?

Possible dead video card?

Hi people, I have a 4870 video card that I have been using for a little while now and all was good untill I decided to add it to my current water cooling loop. After buying what was needed and then installing it I have had problems with it since the first water cooled boot up. Keep seeing random blocks of white at various parts of the screen which change whenever it goes to a new screen.

Don't know much bout vid cards but I think this one is now dead (hope not), maybe someone could shed some light on it.

Pics of screen at random boot points:

Have you considered reinstaling the cooler?
    I had something alil diffrent from that, I reinstalled the CPU's cooler and it fixed it, HOW?, Beats me

No harm in trying I guess :?

I didn't try that yet as reinstalling the original cooler would mean pulling off the ram heatsinks that I just bought for it which have one time use thermal tape, if all else fails then I will try it and let you know what happens but for now I will wait to see if there is any other ideas before I do that.

Clear Coat

did you try swapping out cables and outputs? Try VGA output or the other DVI port etc.

My 7800gt does that every once in a while on a reboot after I installed an aftermarket cooler. Only about 1 in 20 times though.

Also randomly bluescreens with a nvidia driver listed.

Hi Fusion, I just tried swapping from dvi to vga and even with a new vga cable I still have the same problem.

Something I forgot to post was that when I turn my computer on there is normally a 2 - 3 second delay before my monitor recognizes the signal, now it is about 7 - 8 seconds before it receives the signal from my video card.

Luckily for me I still have my ancient X1950 pro card that I am using now as my mobo does not have onboard graphics.

Seeing that this is from the first boot after applying the water cooling to the card, I would re-seat the water cooling block and make sure its making proper contact at all points, if it still persists I would then remove the water cooling block and try the stock cooler again.

There is always the chance something got hosed during the blocks installation.

Just put the stock cooler back on and still the same prob. Only thing I can think of is maybe during the waterblock installation I might have flexed the board and caused some kind of micro crack some where or mabye I didn't ground myself enough and gave it a zap without realizing it.

In any case it seems I will have to shop for another video card. I have a couple of questions about that but I will start a new thread for it.

If anyone has other ideas of a possible fix please chime in as it will be a couple of weeks before I can buy a new card so there is still time.

Does it do it right away or after a few minutes of running?

Right away at post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information