Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No one concerned with Air Cooling/Fans

No one concerned with Air Cooling/Fans

Looking at lack of posts here I guess No one concerned with Air Cooling/Fans. :cry:

Most of the questions regarding air cooling. i.e "best cooler for my cpu" are probably in the cpu section. Using fans in the case has been around for so long its hard to imagine anyone having general concerns with it. Perhaphs this section is unnecessary.

Many other sites have Forums on Air Cooling/Fans, AIMD and Intel Air Cooling, Fans and Controls etc.
    They seem to get a few replies/comments daily. I would think that some people Mod their cases, fans, etc. for more efficient Air cooling and to lower CPU and case temps. There is always the ongoing debate over use of filters, negative or positive case pressure. Each site is different or unique that is what keeps it all interesting and informative. New ideas and solutions to old and ongoing problems.

I agree with what you saying, but give it a chance to grow here (we just hit our 3rd month) or maybe start it all off with a comment, question or suggestion. Sometimes people have to get "pushed" in the right direction to speak whats on their mind.

Here let me start it off with this...

Filters, why in the world would you want to put filters on your fans? To keep the inside free of dust. Are you too lazy to take a can of air and blow it out once-in-awhile? All the filter does is get dirty and then BLOCKS all the air into your system. Just the clean filter itself can cut down on air flow. So the system maybe "starving for air", but it sure is clean inside.

Nice to see a reply. I agree with you first paragraph.
    No I am not to lazy to use a can of air and clean my computer. I clean the entire computer insde and out at least every two weeks. With a side window and inside always visible I like to keep it clean and dust free. Even though filters do restrict air flow some what below listed are my computers specs and temps.
    Thermaltake VA3000 Dream Tower, Athlon 64 FX-55, current CPU temp(idle)31C(underload with Prime 95)50C. Room Temp 27C, Stock Cooling, One 120mm Silverstone Fm121 and one 92 MM Evercool intake fans(side window), one 120mm Evercool Exhaust Fan. All Intake fans filtered. Evga 6800 GT(stock)
    Even though this site is only 3 months old I think you are headed in the right direction and I look forward to readeing you forums and find them very informative.[align=right]

Clean my fans every week or two most of the time with air & remove them every now and then and take the windex to them to make them nice and sparkly agean.

Scheduled maintainence on my end. Once every 2-3 months, shut it down, pull it out, turn on the air compressor, and blow it out!

problem solved!

i put filters on my grandmothers computer because she too old to blow it out every now and then and i can't come over there and do it for her. but i say do what you want.

i put filters on my grandmothers computer because she too old to blow it out every now and then and i can't come over there and do it for her. but i say do what you want.
    Now that I could see is a good reason for the filters, yet some one has to remember to clean them. I guess you could set up program to remind yourself to do this. Better yet take a pressure swith and when the air coming across the fan is too low it would turn on an alarm "BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!"

There's nothing wrong with filters, although they must be easily accessible, removed and clean regularly. I know how badly and quickly the crap can accumulate, got the dog, cat and bird.
    I “vacuum formed” up an air box with a 120mm mesh filter that just pulls out. Whenever the case gets opened, I just whip it out, and give a wack in garage sink. 8O Then every other month a light dusting out with the can to get the small stuff... Don’t worry so much about the airflow loss, but yes depending on your particular environment you’ll need to determine the proper intervals.

I’ll tell you it’s a lot less work to keep it clean; compared to an almost full can I use to spray to blow out all the big dust bunnies and crap that would embed themselves in and around everything.

Big tip… don’t use an air compressor unless you are absolutely positive know you have really good clean air that’s coming form a really good water separator/ filter unit. If you spray that mucky rusty water that forms in the bottom of your compressor into you mobo, CPU, ram, VPU you will find that the corrosion that erupts down the road will kill them all. You may think what your spraying looks good, doesn’t feel slimy in your hand, but I’m here to tell you it’s full of corrosive sh!*

So yes filters are good, wiping down fan blade good, blowing out with canned air good. Shooting pressurized watery crud into your case bad…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information