Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OVERKILL 922

OVERKILL 922

My canvas for this project is the Cooler Master HAF 922

I'm using paper to make a template for 2x 120mm front intake plate.

Tracking template onto 1/8" thick aluminum sheet.

I used a Jigsaw with 18 TPI metal cutting blade to cut the design. I will refine and finish the cuts with a hand file later.

The 1/8" thick aluminum won't fit in my bending brake, so I used my bench vise to bend the aluminum.

I'm using a Mouse sander with medium Grit sandpaper to remove all of the blemishes and scratching in the surface of the aluminum

Aluminum plate surface is finished. Next step is fastening it on with pop rivets, more on this soon!

I've attached the new bezel plate on with pop rivets.

Overkill "Nautilus" 120mm fan grills,

Pop Rivet Gun and 1/8” Pop rivets for computers.

In order to use the Knock-out punch, you need to drill a 2" pilot hole.

Greenlee Knock out Punches
    Greenlee part # 730EBB-120 Last time I inquired, they were around $450 in the states + Large 3/4" socket wrench, and 2" socket. I wouldn't use anything less than 19" long socket wrench. Estimated purchase price of $550 new.

It's been a crazy week. I'm still waiting on parts to arrive in time before Foamy picks up the case Thurs and heads to Indianapolis for Stompfest this weekend. If you missed it, The Mod Brothers did a special Podcast on LAN Gaming and Stompfest. Guests included myself, Brad Smith begin_of_the_skype_highlighting end_of_the_skype_highlighting and Jay Albecht of Stompfest, Jeff Hendricks, Ric Mirto, Patrick Martin discussing the upcoming Stompfest and LAN Gaming. You can download it here or subscribe in iTunes here.

Brad and I loved the idea of Yellow & Black Hazard areas on "Overkill 922" and notice that the recessed notches in the HAF are shadowed as well.

We needed a character that embodied the hardcore LAN Gamer. He knows how to build a killer system. Enjoys annihilating Noobs on their inherited Emachines. He likes getting jacked up on Caffeinated Energy Drinks and junk Food. You get the idea... Thats how we landed on the implementation of this "LAN Terminator" dude with the "SF" logo craved into his skull. Hes surrounded by circuits hardwired into the system inside. People should fear the guy that walks into future events with this case.

Check out Brad's airbrushed Red and Blue Glowing LEDS, and conduit tubing Ã* la H.R. GIGER.

Some of the items from Mnpctech I used in this build!

If your SATA cable doesn't have a latch, useScotch 4010 tape for added assurance

Quiet 140mm Yate Loon, Blue LED Cooling Fan]

OVERKILL 922

A great start!

OVERKILL 922

Thank you Sheldon!

The tentative color scheme for this case will be Grey Steel and Weathered

Plano, Texas

OVERKILL 922

YUM - MAY!!!!!

OVERKILL 922

Unfortunately Cooler Master doesn't offer a window option for the 922, but this doesn't phase me. I chose to install a transparent red window based on the feedback I received from the CM Storm I modified. Just so you're aware, the Red acrylic is dark and I have not installed a window in the 932 HAF yet.

Here are the steps involved for the 922

Materials & Supplies:

Ruler, Pen, Painters or Masking Tape (I prefer 3M Scotch 233+ Green Tape) , Rotary Tool, Jigsaw with 18 TPI or higher metal cutting blade, Hand File. Not pictured is Safety Glasses, Empty Box and X-acto Knife (or Razer blade)

The HAF 922 side panel is similar to the CM Storm Scout.

Perforated portion of the stock panel will hold 1x 200mm cooling fan or 2x 120mm.

Start off by masking off the raised portion of the left side access panel with masking tape. I prefer to use 3M Scotch 233+ Green Tape. It leaves no sticky residue.

Window location with space measurements.

Use any roll of tape to make rounded corner. Round corners allow you to use the
    U-channel window molding.

Before using the Jigsaw to cut the window, you need to make an incision cut with a Rotary tool with
    Dremel 1.5" cutting wheel attachment.

Using Jigsaw with 18 TPI (or higher) metal cutting blade to cut the window opening. Notice I'm cutting on top of a box placed upon a stool.. This method allows you to turn the panel 360 degrees. It also collects the debris.

Using hand file to level and remove any jagged edges cause by the Jigsaw.

I've measured 9-3/4" length section from a 24" x 12" acrylic sheet. The window should measure 9-3/4" x 12"

OVERKILL 922

Let's open up the front section for better airflow

OVERKILL 922

I dissected the chassis for paint. The top panel with the power switch and I/O is fastened on with plastic tabs, located beneath the top panel. Very easy to remove!

The case chassis, just before removing the rear i/o slot covers, noise dampening felt strips for PSU and case feet.

OVERKILL 922

I can't escape from the idea of this case in a dark Grey Steel metallic, so Brad mixes Black with Silver metallic until I decided on this.

Plano, Texas

OVERKILL 922

Ooooooooo.... Nice!
    diggin that combo!

OVERKILL 922

That finish looks great!

What kind of clear coat/gloss if any did you use to get the paint job that thick looking and shiny?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information