Thread: Core i5 and core i3?

Primered

Core i5 and core i3?

Hello, Im back again.. this time with a question as far as the new processors go. Intel has recently released several new core i5 CPUs as well as the new i3 line. I cant quite find any websites with reviews or comparisons on these new CPUs... First thought would be, higher the CPU model number.. the faster it is. SInce I am still fairly newbish and havent had the money to buy anything new lately...I have no idea if anything is better then the other. I would think that the core i5 750 is the fastest out of all the core i5s and i3s... But the prices on some of the new CPUs are higher.

Does anyone have any idea if any of the newer CPUs have better specs then their previous models, or did intel just release these new CPUs as cheaper alternatives, but not faster then whats already out there? I would think there is a place out there that has some comparison charts, but I cant find any yet ^_^ I am wondering if I should change my build plans yet. Thanks

Clear Coat

Core i5 and core i3?

I think some of the CPU's include an integrated video chipset, driving up the cost of the chip compared to the CPU only versions.

Just a SWAG (scientific wild assed guess) though.

Core i5 and core i3?

Well more stuff in on the DIE (CPU) with one of them being the NorthBridge chip. Doing more on the DIE means faster results when seeking processes or data, but there is still the lag of the data going from the DIE to thru the bus and to the RAM and back.

Now with the graphics built into the DIE it will have instant access to the on board memory creating a faster and better performance. BUT I don't know about you but the Intel graphics attempts have not been very good. So the i5 and the i3 are more towards the middle of the road and laptop users. So IMHO at this time the i7 is still the way to go for the most performance.

Getting back to the on board graphics I just think that Intel is trying to stay up with AMD / ATI on their new Vision CPU http://sites.amd.com/us/vision/Pages/vision.aspx

Primered

Core i5 and core i3?

Thats what I eventually found out as well. Originally the one core i5 cpu was just a cheaper alternative for people wanting core i7 ish performance, just cheaper price. But now with the new chipset design and the new core i3 and i5 processor models, they all are the onboard memory, "budget" processors.

When planning and building the list of what parts I would buy once I get a decent level of income, I still feel icky about the big dollar difference in the processors in the i7 line with very little speed differences from one chip to the other. I still like the original core i5 processor that uses the p55 and doesnt have the onboard video. I still think its a good compromise of power and bucks ^_^ Then again, the only computer I own is several years old and is a laptop with the first generation of Core Duos ^_^

Clear Coat

Core i5 and core i3?

ha! I've got an old athlon X2. I think I have you beat good sir. (even though mine is a desktop and therefore full of win)

Primered

Core i5 and core i3?

I got an old Dell Inspiron e1705. it has a Core Duo 1.66 What I noticed is.. its specifically a "CORE DUO" not a Core 2 Duo... I think its because it doesn thave 64bit compatability and what not. its rated at performing at the level of 3.0 GHZ single core cpus hehe. Cool think is, this bulky 17in laptop is a diehard. I killed the first "power brick" and baught a higher rated replacement...because I ACTUALLY CHANGED OUT THE GRAPHICS CARD on this laptop.. from a ATI x1400 for a NVIDIA 7900 go. Cool thing is, DELL didnt intend for the inspiron to have that grahpics card, which was only available with their XPS gaming laptop of the same generation. Inside their mainboards were nearly the same.... So to use the graphics card at full performance without causing a power shortage to everything else, you needed a higher power wall adapter, that happened to use the same plug to connect to the laptop.

now, around 3 years later.. the area/palm rest area around they keyboard, has lots its paint, several cracks due to drops... and the battery is dead/wont charge... AND the wall charger aka the BRICK overheats when gaming, and fail safes, cutting power. I had to actually cut open the plastic casing of the wall adapter with a dremel... and mount two 60mm server case fans.. loud buggers that push major air... and have them rigged to a power variable wall charger from radio shack.. those two fans actually keep it cool to the touch and keep it from overheating... LOL I dont have the kind of income to get a new pc.. but lucky me this dell laptop is a stubborn POS that has been though a graphics card... a hard drive or two.. and likely has more bio matter inside it then I care to think about. I guess they DO build them like they used to XD

Core i5 and core i3?

Well I was able to purchase an i5-750 and MSI MB for a smoking deal at Fry's Electronics so I should be able to show the difference the two sometime soon. So Far I have found that the i5 is pretty fast.

Thread Information