Greetings all!
A bit of a different type of log here. I have a friend of mine that has been bitten by the modding bug. Known her for a long, long, long... long time! She was able to make it out to Quakecon and catch the Mod Shop M-I put on.

Well.... one thing led to another... and I'll be damned if she didnt work her way into the shop! Kidding.... we talked, and I had the tools and 'sperience (not like that really means much) and she had the desire to tear apart a perfectly good (allbeit *ancient*) computer case and warp it into something she would be a bit more proud of! So.... I guess she is kinda like a padawan...

I teach, she does.... and as she does... I get to learn as well! Definitely a win/win! So... here are some pics of the intro sessions. I'll add some stuff in, but I'm expecting Cate to be chiming in and telling us a bit about her design goals and such... but until then, I will have to do!

A montage of photos from our session this last week....

Cate grabs a phillips screwdriver and starts stripping the case down like an old hat pro...

Cate eyeballing her case.... much as Hannibal did his victims...

These next couple of pics were simply to get a good photo record of the rivets and steel panel locations...

Here we have Cate showing the proper safety precautions while popping rivets out of the case. And since the case was SEC steel, and made before they started rolling the edges, I gave her a glove to keep from bleeding all over the frame. I did tell her that there would be plenty of opportunities to bleed on the case as we went through this, and to pace her blood outlet!

Flush mount rivet... need to remember these!

Documenting an interesting phenomena here... this is the same sheet, simply bent back to itself and then riveted at the corner...

This pic was to note the construction of the 5.25" bay, and the bay retention mechanism... a sliding piece of plastic that was springloaded at the top. In the back bround you can see the front bezel and the side window panels... they were whimpering and shaking watching the ferocity that she attacked the case... brought a tear to my eye!

st3cate_18.jpg" alt="" />

More documenting the bay....

Ok... cate in front of a sink... if I went on a sexist slant, I could set out friendship back 10 years easily... but I must say, she does seem right at home at the sink! LOL!!! I had her clean the case up and try to get some of the caked on gook off of the case.

This next adventure is actually quite comical! I was all set to break out the tools and lay down the "impress" with the "DAy-UM! Look at how well he just whipped out that 120mm hole!!!" What happened next can only be described as a tragic comedy and a helluva learning experience!

Everything is going well! We are enlarging the 80mm hole to accommodate a 120mm fan. We have already checked clearance in the back, and made sure everything will go together. So I show her the little trick using a 120mm fan grill to properly place the holes for the fan screws.... unbeknownst to me the reality slap that is in store for me!

Clamp the piece down and what you cannot see here is the custom piece of wood that I cut that backs up teh fan hole.

Here is where it started down a long road to nowhere! The bit was jumping EVERYWHERE! It was not staying put. Even with a pilot hole in the wood... there was no love here. Fine... you wanna play hard ball... meet my bat!

My drillpress! That will do it!... nope... like hell it will! This thing popped the chuck off of the press axle! It was cold (temperature wise) and was getting colder.... so the only thing I can think is that the metal in the chuck had shrunk just a little bit, and the tension of the twist on the surface area was enough to complete the removal! LOL!!!

By this time the apologies were flowing from cate like booze at an open bar... and I was just dumbfounded! So, I told her, "Time to kick it old school! You are going to accelerate you learning here!" and I went and grabbed the trusty rotary tool and flexi-shaft... and taught her the old school way of cutting!

Her side came out better than mine! And I learned why too! She taught me a better technique of cutting that is *much* more precise than the manner I was using... so to show my thanks.... I handed her a roun edged file and told her to clean up my work!

More later as she updates or I update... or some combination of the two of us manage to put together a cohesive thought!

Enjoy the journey!