I ran across the AT-AT case mod here (looks amazing, can't wait to see it done), and though I have worklogs going on a couple other forums, I decided to copy mine over here too. I think y'all will like this....the photos start back in October of 2009, although I've been working on this, the 3rd iteration of the model, since April 2007. My first two were based on inaccurate reference material and just didn't look right, so when I happened across better reference, I had to rebuild it. What a journey it's been. As an added challenge on this model, I'm also going to build the interior. My goal is to have people look at it and say "there's a computer in there?" and then, when I open all the cutaway side flaps, "where the heck is it???". It's been continuously evolving the last 3 years as I think of better and/or different ways of doing things. Most recent change was to dismantle the power supply so it would be visible under the floor of the rearmost "engine" room. the final upcoming change to the computer portion is it looks like I'll be getting a watercooling setup (which of course I didn't design the case for), so that's going to be a fun challenge to incorporate.
I took the case up to San Francisco in February to show at the Exploratorium museum Rods 'n Mods show. There were I think 26 pretty amazing builds there.
First a photo of what it looked like at the Exploratorium Rods â€˜n Mods show in San Francisco Feb 11-13 2010, then I'll post photos starting back in October:
At this point, I needed to rewire the LEDs in it - a bunch blew out and I decided I must not have done it right (I hadn't), so I rewired and added a LOT more.
before I started rewiring. doesn't look bad, but they're all parallel wired, no resistors, and the section on the right/foreground all blew out on me.
new LEDs in place, note the sharpie marks I made so I wouldn't forget which side was which.
all replacement LEDs in place.
soldering started. I didn't do the final wiring today, gotta finish the back roof to stabilize the back section, then stand it up on its back so I can access the wiring underneath and then run the new wiring.
doesn't look all that pretty, but then I can't really access the cockpit lights and since I'm pretty sure I don't need to replace them, I didn't want to risk breaking anything in trying. I *did* desolder them and rewire them in series instead of parallel.
last replaced section.
note white wires coming from cockpit section - I added 4 LEDs above loading door area, so that each set of LEDs in the cockpit would be 6 instead of just 5, so I wouldn't have to go buy new resistors. More LEDS, didn't have to buy more stuff, not bad.
tt53/artoodeeto/crawler%20update/09--11-01DSC_0010.jpg" alt="" />
not pretty, but it won't be visible so who cares
there were 2 LEDs left over in each of these sections - I decided once the roof panels are installed on the back (to the left of this photo), to add 4 LEDs on each side back there, and so get 6 LEDs on each of these strands.
there were 4 LEDs leftover in the front section, but then in this removeable roofpiece I had 2 LEDS, so it worked out quite well to solder in a plug and add these 2 LEDS in the middle of the series strand and get 6 on there instead of just 4....once again avoiding having to buy new resistors. life is good