Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Liquid Coolng

Primered

First Time Liquid Coolng

Heya. Never had to use liquid cooling, and for the most part, never had a computer powerful enough to need it...

Anyway, I had a few newbie questions as far as how to choose what parts to buy for a liquid cooling setup.

I got the general idea down about what components make up a liquid cooling setup..:

Liquid Tank, Radiator, Pump, CPU/Chipset/GPU waterblocks, tubing, fluid.

My first question is, since I want to play it safe, isnt there some form of fittings that you can put inline on the tubings, that would allow you to disconnect without spilling any fluid? I see lots of stuff on sites such as Frozencpu.com, some things called Quick Disconnects... Are those it? Would think it would be something along those lines, type of snap on valve thing where the path is open when connected... I would think using this would be ideal when you need to remove parts for maintenance, or have to remove an internal tank to refill it.. what not.

So, any of you pros out there got any suggestions as far as the best/safest way to build a water cooling setup in ones PC? Tips, pointers, opinions are more then welcome.

First Time Liquid Coolng

I think what you are after is a dry breaking coupling.

This and especially these which might be along the lines of what you are thinking

I'm guessing barbs or other hose connectors could be used if the threads match these couplings, but may make the whole thing a bit cumbersome.

And then there is the cost: I'm sure if these were a cost effective solution, most pc cooling/ hardware sites would be selling them like hot-cakes.

You might just have to rely on quality kit, judgement, patience and vigilence (and some kitchen roll) to avoid nasty spills in your watercooled system.

Hope this helps

Primered

First Time Liquid Coolng

With a bit more reading on my part..the "quick disconnects" seem to be what I was looking for. If I understand it right, when you pair a male and female connecter of the same type, they both have a valve of sorts that you can close off..."quater turn" or some such... and it will allow you to disconnect it, and I think that the only liquid you might see "spill wise" is whats inside the couplings at that moment.

The reason why I asked is because, in my ever active imagination, I am thinking of how I can mount a resevioir or radiator on the exterior of the case, such as a FrozenQ reservoir that you can customize the colors of, from the coil i think, to even the cathode tube. And since the outer panels of a case need to be removed, I thought it would be great if I could just "unplug" the fluid tanks without worry of spilling them.

Also on a seperate note, is it really necessary to water cool chipset/mofset chips on a motherboard, say along the lines of teh 1366 or 1156 chipset models? Most of the motherboards come with small heatsinks already...But witha bit of looking, you can find that people make water coolign blocks for them as well... Does that mean I should do it, or is it just a matter of opinion?

First Time Liquid Coolng

From what I've heard, quick connects are very flow restrictive. An alternate idea would be to get a vacuum pump for loop draining. The lines would be clear when disconnected that way.
    $8 - 50 for a hand pump... Probably the cheaper route too.

Primered

First Time Liquid Coolng

The ones I am looking at, come in several inner diamter sizes, these Koolance ones are even advertised as being EXTREME flow connectors.

That brings me to my second question. What size tubing should I get. Most of the components I am looking at dont come with connectors, and have the option of using different connectors at different sizes. I would assume bigger diameter tubing would allow more flow...But what about the actual blocks, radiator and reservoir....Would getting the biggest possible tubing be any help of one of those things slows down the flow? Would think that if you get large tubing but have a waterblock or radiator that slows down the flow quite a bit, would overtax the pump.

Isnt there a guide to building watercooling loops somewhere?

First Time Liquid Coolng

Stick with one size throughout. Whatever your pump is designed for, stick with it. The couple of radiators and reservoirs that I looked at didn't show in/out diameter (but said HIGH FLOW optimized...whatever that equals in standard measurements), but your pump should be the only thing in the entire system that has a possibility of bottle necking (that's how I look at it, but I don't water cool...it makes sense, though, since you don't want a pump pushing out more water then your radiator or reservoir can handle and somehow popping a leak).

http://wc101.com/index.htm Site dedicated to Water Cooling. Forums are dead and hasn't been updated in a while...but still has guides.

First Time Liquid Coolng

I've not done WC yet or had the need to yet but if it were me, I'd probably be looking at some sort of valving system, most likely manual. While you may get some leakage from a temporary disconnect it could at the very least be minimized.
    Even with several valves installed your looking at no more than a 1%-2% change in the flow which is very minimalistic.
    Seeing some of the WC set-ups I often wondered why no one would install at least a few valves (or maybe they were hidden) to avoid having to completely drain the system.

Primered

First Time Liquid Coolng

I would have though I should use the same size tubing all throughout the loop...But being that they offer different sized tubing, is the larger ID tubing better, since it allows more waterflow?

The radiator I plan on using, this Black Ice model, can be used with any sized barb, as you can see since frozencpu.com offers multiple fittings.
    Looking through all the components I like the look of, this Eheim pump, it is more expensive then other pumps, puts out just as much output as far as GPH... But apparently it is really reliable and able to last alot longer. It though, after you purchase some optional.. yet somehow required, attachments, it will work with 1/4 ID tubing....So.. should i go with 1/4 tubing, or get a different pump that supports wider tubing?

First Time Liquid Coolng

I'd stick with the 1/4 tubing, since that's what it seems the pump works with but, then again, I don't WC. If you want wider tubing, I'd say get a different pump that already has a wider out. If you get the attachments, there's no reason wider tubing wouldn't work, since the attachments make it the appropriate size. BUT I would guess that the pump pushing more water then it's designed for (this is what the pump is designed to out put, 500 L/h (132.1 gal/h) so if you have enough tubing to exceed that, the pump isn't gonna last as long.

I'd say stick with 1/4" tubing, just to make sure you don't exceed that and kill the pump soon. If you do widen the tubing, you'll have to use more water (to remove air). I don't know much about WC, so this is all really just thought and what I'd stick to.

Primered

First Time Liquid Coolng

There are different sized pumps, from 3/8" and 1/2" Inner diameter tubing...

I would think that no matter what sized tubing you use in your loop, there has to be some way to find out if your components are slowing down the flow, and thus adding more pressure on the pump. Get a pump that is too powerful, then it will be over exerting itself, pushing out more force then the loop can handle.

Are there warrenties on if your watercooling loop leaks, as in say if the radiator fails, springs a leak, and fries something important...is there a warrenty that can protect against that?

There is a special after market warrenty you can get, cant remember the name off the top of my head, but they got big news on NBC because you could buy somethign new from EBAY, provide a copy of your purchase receipt to them, pay 30% of the total purchase price, and if it fails within the years life of the warranty, they will give you the full purchase price back. I guess they make money banking off of people not having to take advantage of such a thing within the first year, as most things dont fail within the first year.

Either way, is there a way to safeguard yourself from leaks? I dont see any devices that tell you if the pressure in the loop, or on your pump is too high. gotta find a good balance of the amount of water and the effort it takes to move it through the loop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information