Thread: Best Cases for Modding Projects?

Primered

Best Cases for Modding Projects?

Heres a fun idea for those who still roam this forum. I myself look through many cases, liking some, no so much on others.... heres the question:

What cases or case brands do you like, and would use for the base in your modding projects?
    Sure your cases can be the DIY ones that are just giant cubes... But what about the name brand ones that have a bit of style of their own.. such as Thermaltake cases...Coolermaster.. or even that Silverstone Raven series?
    Come on, tell us about the ones you like... and why you like them!

Nice topic and the funny thing is we were just talking about this subject for an upcoming podcast we do.... MODDERS-INC PODCAST's

For me it kind of depends on what I want to create and to see if there is a good "base case" to build upon from, so no favorites there.

But as for personal favorites (in no particular order) Silverstone, Cooler Master, Thermaltake with NZXT getting much better.

Primered

So you already talked about it, or are going to at your next podcast?

Good question and one I think a lot of modders mull over internally on a daily basis. One I don't like are the older PVC Dell cases. Very difficult to work with and hard to get a quality finish on. I'm sure there is a way to do it but if you're time constrained I would recommend not using one of these unless you're very good with fiberglass and plastic.
    I've not modded 1/10th of the cases most of the guys on here have but I do like the NZXT's, Antec 900's, and I'm really liking the CoolerMasters general format/design. I also have been eyeing up the new Corsair case which is huge in everyway. I'm hoping Bill Owens at MNPCTECH mods one of these babies in the near future. It's like an apartment in AXT format lol.
    If it were me and it was going to be my first mod I would probably go with a CoolerMaster case to start. Great design and a basic design that lends itself to modding in some ways that others may be a little more difficult to work with.

Primered

I am personally liking the CoolerMaster HAF case. Its got plenty of room inside for different configurations,, they did great work with giving you many places to mount case fans, be it the side window which can have a huge fan, or 4 120mm fans... If I wasnt set on being able to see the lovely innards, I would think you could mount two 120mmx2 rads... Not to mention you can mount up to a 120mmx3 radiator on the top. One thing I like that coolermaster shows in some of the cases, is bottom mounted fans, with a filter screen that comes with the case, so that either you have your PSU on the bottom, sucking in cool air from underneath the case, safe from dust.. or two extra fans if you need that extra bit of airflow in a air only case.
    When I am finally able to start buying the parts I want, I plan on goign with a watercooling setup, and mounting the reservoir on the outside of the case, or maybe even two, one on each side of the case's side panels... Taking adventage of Koolances quick disconnect valves, and these cool FrozenQ reseviours, maybe even do some cutting on the case to loop the hoses back in, so the two tanks are fed by the built in ports on the upper back of the case, then have the feed to the pump go back in someplace else.. for looks. But looking at the general shape of the HAF case, plenty of places to tweak for both looks and function.. Just wish there was more "window" space...

I saw those on FrozenCPU a couple weeks ago and liked them immediately, until I saw the price lol. They are very cool though and a great design.
    Gives you a lot of room for innovative designing too.

Primered

I wonder if I can get the guy who makes these, to put in, instead of a cold cathode tube, maybe one of those micro led strips, that is setup to do a pulse/marching animation? So that it either pulses slowly, or marches... like Kit the nightrider card's visor thing... or the Cylon's eye thing...And encase the led strip in a clouded plastic.. so that you dont see the leds, but it lights up the platic tube hehe.

Clear Coat

Doing the LED stuff is pretty simple, you do have to have do some micro-controller work to do the effects though.

Fun fact -- Knight Rider and the Cylon Eye are actually the same piece of stage kit, same guy designed both things.
    I imagine you could do that mod to your own reservoir quite easily, just wiggle the cathode out, replace it with a frosted acrylic tube, and wire in an LED column.

Thread Information