Thread: Vendor vent....

Vendor vent....

Ok... so I am working on Sleeper currently. One of the things that I relized that I needed were some quality, blue led 120mm fans. My needs were a good balance of airflow vs noise. Running dual 240mm rads (2x120mm) I needed 4 fans.

I found the ones I wanted in the new Coolermaster R4's, nice black appearance, good ratings, good sound profile... I'm a happy camper!

I do the Google thing and search my model number on the fans to get a cross sampling of the prices out there for these fans. Lo and behold, one of my old faves lands at the top of the mountain: Xoxide! I knew they had just undergone some ownership changes, and was happy that they were still around and kidking! Previous orders from them had always been processed and shipped without issue...

So I order the fans, not needing them in a rush or anything, I choose the least expensive method of shipping, slow boat, UPS ground. I'm cool with that.

To make a long story short, they were shipped to me in a PAPER BUBBLEWRAP envelope!!! Frikken thing had holes in it upon arrival from the mailing abuse. Absolutely *no* crush/shock protection for the fans. None. I will post up pictures when I get home. I have started up all of the fans and they all worked as expected, and I have not identified any material defects.

Suffice to say, I was ballistic that someone would ship these fans in this manor! Gamble with your own money, please? But dont gamble with mine! So I sent a complaint email to Xoxide Customer support:

"> To whom it may concern:
    >
    >
    >
    > Please, would someone explain to me why you are gambling with my money?
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm sorry for the next phrase, but what the hell kind of packing job is
    > this??!?! Please see the attached pictures. I find them to be completely
    > self explanatory. Picture 2 is some of the tearing that was completely
    > through the envelope upon arrival. 3 was the envelope "as opened". 4-6 show
    > the holes that were in the packaging upon arrival and the light was shining
    > through them.
    >
    >
    >
    > Order number <number removed> - 4 qty 120mm fans, sent to me in a paper bubble
    > mailer??! These are plastic fans! This packaging gave them NO protection. I
    > have not opened up the fans and tested them yet, but these should have been
    > boxed in some way. At least that would have provided a *little* crush
    > protection. I can see an envelope like this being used for cable sleeving,
    > or non crushable items.. But for crying out loud! These are fans! Blades can
    > be broken in shipment. If too much weight was applied to the front of the
    > packaging, the bearings or fan motor could be damaged, the frames could be
    > cracked. any number of things!
    >
    >
    >
    > Your own shipping policy states:
    > "We try our best to prevent damage to all packages during transit by packing
    > each order carefully. Unfortunately, there will be the occasional damaged
    > item. "
    >
    >
    >
    > With this order (which is my first under the new ownership of Xox), I
    > completely disagree. If this is standard practice of Xoxide now, I will warn
    > others to stay away.
    >
    >
    >
    > Completely unacceptable shipping methods employed here, and if the fans are
    > broken, you will certainly be hearing back from me.
    >
    >
    >
    > Very surprised and upset,
    >
    > Craig Tate
    >
    >
    "

Next day, I received a reply back, stating the following:

"> Hello,
    >
    > Thank you for contacting Xoxide.com.
    >
    >
    >
    > I apologize that you are unsatisfied. We will surely replace any damaged
    > fans.
    >
    >
    >
    > Please let us know if we can be of further assistance, we look forward to
    > serving you again soon!
    >
    >
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > <name removed>
    >
    > Customer Service
    >
    > www.Xoxide.com
    >
    "

*blink*

"We will surely replace any damaged fans."
    ??!?!?

How about some sort of incentive to trust you again? ("We apologize for the inconvienence and error on our behalf. Here is a $10 gift card on your next order, please give us another chance)

How about some sort of statement stating that my concern for the packing was justified? ("We recognized that the packing of those items was incorrect and have taken corrective actions with our shipping department, we apologize for your experience).

Hell.... I go out for a dinner with my family, ifthe service sucks, and I have to talk to a manager, the take my ticket from me and start either discounting the ticket, comping the meal, or giving me a gift card to try to get me to come back!

Nope... nothing like that. The way that statement read to me was, "If it broke in shipment, we'll replace it and ship it out to you. How many broke?"... almost a dare.

So, concerned at this, I sent another email reply to the support address asking them if this shipping method was common practice. The response I got back, I will have to post when I get home.

Effectively, the support person stated, "I think so... I don't go back there to shipping very often."

SO... here is my note to all modders out there reading this. If you order from Xoxide, you need to be careful what you order *and* how you want it shipped. If you go cheap shipping, expect minimalist packing thinking, and potentially damaged items upon arrival. In the past, my product from Xox came in boxes, *unless* the items were crush proof (PET sleeving, bolts, fan grills, etc). Thiswas very unexpected and highly irregular when compared to other enthusiast sites shipping methods.

This is to INFORM you all of my experience. I invite you to post up your experiences with shipping or service to see if this was an isolated incident, or if there a more worrisome habit of under packing going on now @ Xoxide.

This is not a "bash the company" thread. Any overtly derrogotory comments will be removed. An informed consumer is a good consumer. Let's keep ourselves informed, and push for changes should they be neded.

-=TD

I am going to take this higher @ Xoxide to see if I can get any conclusive answer from them.

Vendor vent....

You mean the R4's? Don't recall any R2's.. I always use Performance PC's anymore for my misc. stuff.

Vendor vent....

Yes.... R4's.... my mistake...

Vendor vent....

Yeah.... *this* is how you ship fans....
    :roll: :roll: :roll:

Clear Coat

Vendor vent....

To be honest I've had worse packing jobs before.
    I would definitely prefer my stuff came in a box though.

Vendor vent....

I'd guess it was shipped like that because of the clam shells the fans are in. I'm sure if they were naked fans they would've done a box. Granted, clam shells don't protect against heavier objects and high pressure, etc, but they do protect fairly well if this was kept with similar objects. Hahaha, almost looks like the UPSP people played a little 'punt the package', though.

Vendor vent....

i bought my first computer suplies from a place called www.xoxide.com. pretty good prices and it was shipped in boxes and with bubble wrap...i still have the boxes...good quality

Vendor vent....

I am glad to read this! I was going to place an order with them also for a couple of fans. I think I will be wise to stick with Performance-pcs or Frozen CPU maybe.

Thread Information