Thread: iPAD or No iPAD

iPAD or No iPAD

Well did you buy on or are you going to wait for the some of the other tablets to come out? I just played with an iPad abut an hour ago and well I found it very interesting. I think it would be a great little device to have to just have around the house to check email, websites and misc stuff.

What are your thoughts on this?

iPAD or No iPAD

A friend of mine has this tablet and says it's pretty nice. Seems a bit better, too, since it seems more of a computer and less of an overgrown iPhone. I'm not a fan of tablets, but I'd probably go with that Archos 9 (if it had a better CPU and maybe HDD, but that's upgradable). Costs $50 more then the iPad, but probably a hell of a lot easier to upgrade when the time comes.

iPAD or No iPAD

Yes, I've always wanted a tablet back when they were more commonly just a laptop with the swively monitor and basic touchscreen support. But If I was going to get one i would still want it to have a real operating system that could install pretty much anything as opposed to the relatively worthless ipad. I just got an older archos 5 on the cheep primarily as a music player for the workshop but seeing some of there other hardware when I was looking around I was pretty impressed. Though I was also pretty interested in that Eee pc tablet that came out that looks like a pretty good deal as well. Prices are getting good enough now that their reasonable to supplement laptops, but I'd still want it to be able to do all the things a laptop would.

Clear Coat

iPAD or No iPAD

Once they make a tablet in at least 8.5x11 I'll think about it. Hopefully they can put a PixelQI or similar screen on it, so I can do youtube as well as kinda ebook reader on it.

iPAD or No iPAD

No interest at all. Between worrying about the eventual and likely screen damage and the fact it doesn't seem to be much more than a suped up oversized PDA, I can't see spending the money on it when for the same price I can get a PC laptop with more features and more use period.
    Even with USB ports, a faster processor and more RAM, I can get more (and screen protection) for a lot less with a netbook or laptop.

Clear Coat

iPAD or No iPAD

eh... I don't buy the screen protection argument. Just buy one of those hard flipcovers for it, and you're golden.

I just don't like the lack of flash/usb/monitor-out/unrestricted apps.

iPAD or No iPAD

The screen protection argument comes from owning and using a lot of PDA's where I used to work at. The most heard problem we had by the IT team was people were messing up the screens even with screen protectors. Most of these were the Handspring Visor models but even after we switched over to Palms (w/covers) the issue slightened some but then went from #1 to #2. Number one became battery life span.
    And yes the screen flipcover will lessen the likelyhood of damage but over the course of the life of the machine (even with the advances) the screen is always the weakest link.
    Sorry but too much money for so many limitations.

iPAD or No iPAD

I really have no use for an iPad as I already have a iPod touch which I use for checking email, doing basic web surfing, etc via WiFi. This works well for me and the added bulk would only decrease the usability to me as I always carry my iPod around in my pocket because I am at several locations throughout the day that have free wifi. If I need a bigger screen for whatever reason, I have several laptops I could use and would work much better because they are more capable than an iPad would be for my usage. I do a lot of typing and am not a real big fan of touch screen keypads.

Thread Information