Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm ticked off about a news conference

Master Modder

I'm ticked off about a news conference

I just heard President Obama give the report of our GDP. He was telling how his multimillion dollar stimulus has given 40 people in the Waseca, MN area a new job at Iron, an new tech company that makes circuits for reading gas meters remotely and other circuits that do similar things. How ever he didn't tell about the 100 or so people that lost jobs this year at that company and that the new hirings were part-time hires for the summer which is standard practice with most companies. Plus after this past years lay-offs, the workers that did manage to keep their jobs are working 6 days a week for 12 hours shifts and are being called in on their days off. Due to getting rid of to many workers and there isn't enough people to run the equipment. This is a town of a little over 8,000 people and we have Itron, Brown Printing, Emerson/Motorola, General Foods, where Cool Whip comes from, and of course we have a McDonald's and a Taco John for fast food business. The rest are just small home town business that support the ag business which is the Jolly Green Giant territory. Lot of corn, beans, and other grains are grown in this area. We do have a E85 plant just outside of town but my car does run E85 but I lose over a 100 miles to a tank of gas using it. I figured it out that the cost of E85 needs to be at least 60 cents a gallon cheaper than unleaded to start being economical. Right now it's only30 cents cheaper and both unleaded and the E85 are on the rise. We are just 8 cents short of $3.00 a gallon and last Friday it was $2.72. It just ticked me off that the President is claiming job growth in our town when the facts are we are just hanging on and are not seeing growth. Beware of false reports folks.

Beware of false reports folks.
    Don't want to nitpick or start a fight or nothing, but he didn't report falsely --- he just didn't tell it all. And that's just standard politics.

True...there is only one side to a politicians story, theirs.

Master Modder

Beware of false reports folks.
    Don't want to nitpick or start a fight or nothing, but he didn't report falsely --- he just didn't tell it all. And that's just standard politics.
    You're absolutely correct!!! That's the problem today with the human species, we have so many that don't believe in giving the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I was always told not to ride the fence, if you fall off, you don't always fall on the good side, so stay off the fence and be honest at what you do.

And, honestly, it's good that 40 people got a job. If any of those 40 people were one of the 100 that lost a job (not his fault they lost the job, so he can't really be blamed for that), even if they are only working summer, it's still a good thing. I'd love to have a job, even if it was for three months. I'm 19 and can't find a job...there's fast food, but with my temper and me being me...it wouldn't last long enough to actually make any money off of it. Plus, this is a capitalist economy, so things like this should be expected. There's no guarantee of a company making the amount necessary to keep everyone employed and still stay open.

There's always a reason for not saying the WHOLE truth, whether it's a good reason or a bad reason (objectively), it's only guessing at what the reason(s) are. He might not have said the whole truth because it was already known.

Working in the construction industry, we've steadily lost over 2 million jobs since 2000. Only in the last 4-6 months have things started to rebound. Prior to that, we saw a steady decrease in manpower on every job despite even the safety factors.
    I won't go into politics and finger pointing but if that's what is going to happen, then it needs to be pointed where it is rightly deserved.
    Over the last 2 1/2 years I've worked 4 months and 1 day. Believe me, myself and 2 million other people weren't sorry to see the last administration vacating the premises!

It's true that politicians and the news media only report the rosey picture but the other side of the coin is that if the rosey picture isn't presented, the masses bitch regardless.
    We have journalists who no longer report the facts, only their opinions, ala Fox News and MSNBC. Not that other news organizations aren't also guilty but Fox and MSNBC are overtly blatant about it. And then some try to defend themselves with their manta "We report, You decide" lol yeah right.

Right now we're inundated with shoddy journalism that is nothing short of embarrassing and politicians on both sides of the aisle who have consistently given themselves pay raises over the last 40 years despite the economy tanking on several occasions and them not doing their jobs period. Add into the mix the reality that we also have foreign owned news organizations which throw the CEO's political slant into their reporting methods.

It's a recipe for ruination that's only been fostered by every President after Kennedy in my opinion. Then we can go into the banking industry and how the Federal Reserve was granted exceptional favor in 2006 so that is now recognized as a legitimate arm of the Federal Government despite the fact it is still privately owned and ran. Or the recent financial bailouts of scum like Goldman-Sachs and AIG who should have gone bankrupt according to a capitalist economy.

The not new hiring practice of "temps" for large organizations began in our area in 2002 and has only gained momentum since then. Why would an employer pay insurance and benefits if they can get away with hiring you on a "temp" basis and discharge you at will? After seeing and having to participate in that hiring regimen I quit that company and joined a Union. In my opinion corporate practices have gone backwards and the workers have no voice anymore. The criminals running many of these companies are not held responsible for their often times blatant stupid decisions or outright theft and you the employee in the end suffer for it.

Master Modder

Working in the construction industry, we've steadily lost over 2 million jobs since 2000. Only in the last 4-6 months have things started to rebound. Prior to that, we saw a steady decrease in manpower on every job despite even the safety factors.
    I won't go into politics and finger pointing but if that's what is going to happen, then it needs to be pointed where it is rightly deserved.
    Over the last 2 1/2 years I've worked 4 months and 1 day. Believe me, myself and 2 million other people weren't sorry to see the last administration vacating the premises!

It's true that politicians and the news media only report the rosey picture but the other side of the coin is that if the rosey picture isn't presented, the masses bitch regardless.
    We have journalists who no longer report the facts, only their opinions, ala Fox News and MSNBC. Not that other news organizations aren't also guilty but Fox and MSNBC are overtly blatant about it. And then some try to defend themselves with their manta "We report, You decide" lol yeah right.

Right now we're inundated with shoddy journalism that is nothing short of embarrassing and politicians on both sides of the aisle who have consistently given themselves pay raises over the last 40 years despite the economy tanking on several occasions and them not doing their jobs period. Add into the mix the reality that we also have foreign owned news organizations which throw the CEO's political slant into their reporting methods.

It's a recipe for ruination that's only been fostered by every President after Kennedy in my opinion. Then we can go into the banking industry and how the Federal Reserve was granted exceptional favor in 2006 so that is now recognized as a legitimate arm of the Federal Government despite the fact it is still privately owned and ran. Or the recent financial bailouts of scum like Goldman-Sachs and AIG who should have gone bankrupt according to a capitalist economy.

The not new hiring practice of "temps" for large organizations began in our area in 2002 and has only gained momentum since then. Why would an employer pay insurance and benefits if they can get away with hiring you on a "temp" basis and discharge you at will? After seeing and having to participate in that hiring regimen I quit that company and joined a Union. In my opinion corporate practices have gone backwards and the workers have no voice anymore. The criminals running many of these companies are not held responsible for their often times blatant stupid decisions or outright theft and you the employee in the end suffer for it.
    The practice of laying off full time and then using temps has been a practice around this area now for about 20 years and I have watched the base of the people's demeanor deteriorate. Those that maintain a job do a lot of complaining about the quality of the product due to inexperience of the worker which is a temp for just long enough to learn the job and then leave for full time somewhere else because the employer that he had the part-time job with doesn't have full time available because he's hiring nothing but temps. That causes the full time to really bust butt to correct the mistake of the inexperienced. It's a never ending cycle that does nothing for the health of the employed, mentally or physically, except bring it down.

It's sad but true em3. The loyalty expected FROM employees is still there but the loyalty TO employees has all but evaporated.
    Where I used to work, most are scared to death that at any moment their heads will be on the proverbial chopping block. That is no way to run a business or expect the best from your employees.
    I hear, read and see many who say that Unions have outlived their usefulness and in some ways perhaps they're right. At the same time though I see and read about many who have absolutely no say in anything about their job and the employees are asked to do more with little or no compensation in return. The cost of doing business if you want to keep your job? That's what I was told, so I left and joined a Union.
    It's not perfection but at least my voice counts now and I have some say in my job, my work atmosphere and my pay!
    If you're counting on an HR person to be your saving grace, don't hold your breath either.
    Looking at it from an overall perspective I think now more than ever there needs to be some type of Unions to represent the workers.
    The argument that Unions are what puts companies out of business is major BS too! If you really do some research you'll find that bad decisions and bad business practices along with economic factors are what truly drive a company into the ground.
    Take Chrysler for example. They continued to produce 500+hp vehicles and gas guzzlers despite the fact fuel prices have been rising for the last 3-5 years. Is that the workers fault? Did they make those decisions?
    GM continued to produce very poor quality vehicles that had a customer complaint record like no other company. Design flaws and poor quality materials were the bulk of the problems. This is the workers fault how?
    These are just 2 examples but I am sick and tired of hearing the mouthpieces on Fox News in particular who almost daily bash Unions as the downfall of this country. If you want a real measure of the impact make sure you understand the full reason WHY there are Unions to begin with.

Economically we're going to rebound, we always do. The difference this time is many of the high paying jobs in manufacturing won't be coming back which is what built this country. We may very well be seeing "America Light" versus "America the World Power" in years to come? The growth in countries like China and India are proving that daily, and the cheap labor potential in Africa is becoming even more glamorous to those evolving and upcoming super powers. You can quote me on this one in 10-20 years.

What we're witnessing is the unadulterated greed of those with power to rape the middle class without any regard for the outcome.

Master Modder

It's sad but true em3. The loyalty expected FROM employees is still there but the loyalty TO employees has all but evaporated.
    Where I used to work, most are scared to death that at any moment their heads will be on the proverbial chopping block. That is no way to run a business or expect the best from your employees.
    I hear, read and see many who say that Unions have outlived their usefulness and in some ways perhaps they're right. At the same time though I see and read about many who have absolutely no say in anything about their job and the employees are asked to do more with little or no compensation in return. The cost of doing business if you want to keep your job? That's what I was told, so I left and joined a Union.
    It's not perfection but at least my voice counts now and I have some say in my job, my work atmosphere and my pay!
    If you're counting on an HR person to be your saving grace, don't hold your breath either.
    Looking at it from an overall perspective I think now more than ever there needs to be some type of Unions to represent the workers.
    The argument that Unions are what puts companies out of business is major BS too! If you really do some research you'll find that bad decisions and bad business practices along with economic factors are what truly drive a company into the ground.
    Take Chrysler for example. They continued to produce 500+hp vehicles and gas guzzlers despite the fact fuel prices have been rising for the last 3-5 years. Is that the workers fault? Did they make those decisions?
    GM continued to produce very poor quality vehicles that had a customer complaint record like no other company. Design flaws and poor quality materials were the bulk of the problems. This is the workers fault how?
    These are just 2 examples but I am sick and tired of hearing the mouthpieces on Fox News in particular who almost daily bash Unions as the downfall of this country. If you want a real measure of the impact make sure you understand the full reason WHY there are Unions to begin with.

Economically we're going to rebound, we always do. The difference this time is many of the high paying jobs in manufacturing won't be coming back which is what built this country. We may very well be seeing "America Light" versus "America the World Power" in years to come? The growth in countries like China and India are proving that daily, and the cheap labor potential in Africa is becoming even more glamorous to those evolving and upcoming super powers. You can quote me on this one in 10-20 years.

What we're witnessing is the unadulterated greed of those with power to rape the middle class without any regard for the outcome.
    Amen!!! I believe that all things in moderation is good for all but when you start down that road of excess you find yourself getting deeper into trouble. All things have their pros and cons. It's up to us the people of the world to balance it out and work together for all to have a better life. I know that it can be done, this site is a example of many beliefs and ideas working together. None of us agree on everything and most of the time it's only about a single thing but at least we are making an effort to work, play and believe in each other. I love mankind but it sure can tick a person off at times. Ha Ha

Primered

As a business owner I hate unions and would not have them. We took care of our employees way better than we should have considering their cost to revenue ratio and waited way too long to scale back benefits and such. unions protect the lazy via seniority BS and fight against merit-based pay. Take a look at the public sector were their insane retirement programs are bankrupting budgets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information