Thread: Current HDs and SATA III 6GBs?

Primered

Current HDs and SATA III 6GBs?

I was wondering about the new SATA III 6GB interface that is showing up more and more on the top of the line Mobos. Is it backwards compatable with previous SATA HDs.. because I can see that motherboards offer both the original SATA II 3gig interfaces, with only one or two SATA III 6GB interfaces as well...being that they put BOTH types on a mobo, does that mean its not backwards compatible, and if it is backwards compatable, do you see speed increases of any degree with current SATA II HDs? I have also seen a few HDs show up on the market advertising as using the new SATA III interface...Kinda wondering if its even worth the extra bucks to get a HD or MOBO that is supposedly faster.

From what I understand SATA 6GB is backwards compatible, but you wont see and increase if you are a using SATA 3GB drive. The drive has to built to be able to use the new interface, just like USB 3 there are very few items out there that use it, but once the manufactures ramp up and install it on motherboards and add-on cards you will get more options.

Primered

I wonder if someone does a review and compares the speed performance of a current model SSD on SATA 3GB VS a SATA 6GB disk based hard drive... On newegg they have a 640GB SATAIII HD for $75, so your not paying that much.

Clear Coat

Honestly, what I'd be more interested in is using a port multiplier on a 6gb connector to hook up an array of hard drives with 3g interfaces... You might actually be able to saturate the connection that way.

Primered

I wonder though, people complain if a case doesnt support enough hard drives.. and people wanting to hook up as many hard drives as they want.. Do people even find uses for 8 hard drives in a pc, specially when you can cheaply buy 500gb- 1TB hard drives aplenty. Makes me wonder though what two (expensive) SATAIII SSDs can do in a raid....besides make me cream my pants.

Thread Information