Thread: Custom Fab'd Fan Shrouds

Primered

Custom Fab'd Fan Shrouds

Hello out there modding peoples! I has a question for those of you who have access to the right hardware/tools/machinery for custom cutting and welding/joining of aluminum.. or whatever handy metal you happen to work with.

What I am considering/thinking about for my future pc build, which will likely happen once I start school sometime this summer or fall, is to mount 4x120mm fans on the OUTSIDE of this thermtaltake swordm case, while having the radiator mounted on the inside as the picture shows as its default. Now, since I dont like the look of a fan just hanging off the side of a case, as most dont, I was looking for a fan shroud, examples found here , But the problem is, they dont have these types of shrouds, which would work great, mounting to the exterior of the case panel, in a 2x2 configuration, most likely because there aren't any radiators out there that come in that configuration.

What brings me here is a two pronged question.

First, does anyone know of any already made units that would be build like this, in a 2x2 alignment, or even anything close that could be easily made/modified into a usable application...

Second, if given the measurements and payment for material and labor, would any of you be able to fabricate one? I would need to find out the alignment and spacing of the fan screw mounting holes, such as how much space is between the fans once mounted... And likely using the most common 120mm x 25mm depth fans, or more, depending on what fans I decide to go with.

Adding a shroud wouldnt mar the general shape and appearance of a case such as this, as is obvious when using said shrouds on the top of your case. Essentially I am looking for a side mounted shroud, but of a uncommon size.

Also, on a side note, this type of "product" would be quite handy for those wanting case fans on the side of their case, when space inside is limited, say if their using a massive CPU heatsink, mounting the case fans on the outside of the panel would give them that much more room. There are a few cases out there, lesser brands mind you, that use this idea, where the side of the case "buldges" out a bit to give fans more room... and looks kinda neat while its done right.

Would be a cool mod idea for your upcoming staff vs staff "back to basics" mod event thingie.

Custom Fab'd Fan Shrouds

I personally don't think that case would look good or work well with fans mounted that way. Looking at the exterior of the case (top down view) you can see that it's finned and curved. Making a shroud fit the finned surface would require more work than I think it would be worth. Not to mention the fact that the side panel would have to be shipped to the person doing the shroud prior to starting the process.

Primered

Custom Fab'd Fan Shrouds

True. Since its made of aluminum, I would think using my dremmel to cut notches wouldnt be too hard. I am not sure why TT didnt cover the entire rad. By default, the fans, as shown in the pic, blow air from inside the case onto the rad, and out of the case, mounting fans on the outside, pulling air out, i would think would boost cooling performance. I have several ideas for externally mounted components on this case, including a snazzy resevior from FrozenQ that i linked earlier.. somewhere else...*looks*

Primered

Custom Fab'd Fan Shrouds

Well actually, I dont think I will actually have to do any cutting on this case. Looking at it, I can just make the shroud one solid piece, drill mounting holes in the shroud so that I mount it directly to the fans themselves, and, as long as I measure the angles of the sides so that they line up with one of the ridges, it will look solid and line up correctly. I can go either trapezoidal so that the outer edges of the shroud look like the ones I linked, sliding away at a shallow angle, or just go 90 degree...But.. I am considering going a bit further / larger and mounting some extra ports on that edge...As a comparison or visual aid, this XCLIO case as well as this one show what I am trying to get at.

When you look at the outside, the fans are extended out from the main body of the side panel, so that when looking at it from the inside, it takes up no real estate. Also, since you will be adding more "surface area" this is a great oppurtunity to add some extra i/o ports such as usb, or even if its wide enough, maybe some extra switches to control the fans themselves.. lights.. or maybe even a small temp LCD... one of those basic ones that you have to mount to a case by hand (dont use bay drives, cut and mount a hole) Obviously, if I decide to mount fans to the outside of the case, i would have to cut an access hole...But all in all, it shouldnt, if done with the right materials and colors, look too... hmm... "Red Green" ish XD

( I wonder if anyone here is old enough to understand that Red Green reference )

Thread Information