Thread: Hard Drive indicators

Hard Drive indicators

Hi guys I'm new to this forum and I just wanted to know how I can add HDD activity indicators to my case. I am building a server with FreeNAS and using 4 hard drives and I wanna add activity LEDS to the outside of the case. Can anyone please tell me how I can do this of show me a schamatic I can do the etching and circuit designing I want something
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCPaXPNF7_8[/video]]this.

Thank you

Hard Drive indicators

What you are looking at there is a hard drive chassis with hot swappable drive bays. Each drive bay has power and activity LED's. Cheapest way I can think to do that would be to put each of your drives in a 3rd party hot swap bay that is already setup to perform what you are wanting to do.

Seeing as you are wanting to capture individual hard drive access activity, you will not be able to tie it off the motherboard or controller, it will have to be off of each drive.

Best thing I could recommend is "don't re-invent the wheel". Find a hot swap drive bay chassis that has the functionality your want, and then mod it to your appearance.

-=TD

Hard Drive indicators

Alternatively you can get an add on sata controller such as a raid card that has pinouts for hdd activity - and then just drill some holes to mount leds somewhere on the case such as an extra 5.25" bay panel. I think just about all the highpoint cards ive gotten have this feature - I know their not the best raid cards, but if your just using them as sata ports they should be just fine.

Clear Coat

Hard Drive indicators

I think that a there might even be a jumper/solder points right off the hard drive that you could use to signal some LEDs. I'd get mighty scared about soldering on my hard drive though. There are also software monitoring programs that you could use then output data to your parallel or serial port to blink the LEDs. that seems like a rather complex solution to a fairly minor problem though.

Hard Drive indicators

Alternatively you can get an add on sata controller such as a raid card that has pinouts for hdd activity - and then just drill some holes to mount leds somewhere on the case such as an extra 5.25" bay panel. I think just about all the highpoint cards ive gotten have this feature - I know their not the best raid cards, but if your just using them as sata ports they should be just fine.
    this sounds like a good idea but will it be simular the the raid sata plugs I have on my MOBO (black ones)? will they have thire own LED activity.

Hard Drive indicators

this sounds like a good idea but will it be simular the the raid sata plugs I have on my MOBO (black ones)? will they have thire own LED activity.
    Yes, heres a cheaper one that I've purchased before -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115053&cm_re=highpoint_ raid-_-16-115-053-_-Product

They also make cheap $20 or so sata add on cards - dont know know how well they work or if they have the hdd activity light.

Thread Information