Thread: John Deere Model B

John Deere Model B

I had higher hopes for this build and may revise another build like this in the future but for now it will be fairly basic. This is for another (older) friend of mine who has helped me out through the years when things weren't so good in my life. He's a pretty basic Old School NY farm boy at heart. For many years he was one of the regional mechanical technicians for John Deere and could tell you almost anything there was to know about tractors in general but especially the JD models.
    He would never accept monetary compensation in return so I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. At 72 with no typing skills much less knowledge of how to operate a computer, it's been a very slow process of teaching him some of the basics of computing but I'm still convinced anyone can learn regardless of age and he's stubborn which helps in a good way. To get him on track I've decided that it's time he had a computer of his own. It will give him even more incentive to learn and not worry that he's going to mess up someone else's system.

I started off with a donated Proteva computer system circa 1996 with an Intel Pentium 3 Processor. All metal cabinet (yaay) with no frills, bells or whistles. Attached is a borrowed photo off the net which shows exactly what this one looked like (but slower) lol.

Pretty small as you can probably tell.

John Deere Model B

Here are a couple pics of the original mobo. The speaker wasn't even a system speaker for sound output, it was actually just for the motherboard beeps lol. The CPU fan was a Cooler Master which was surprising after having read some of the past issues owners were having with the company concerning poor quality parts and horrible customer service.
    Eventually they were bought up by SystemMax or somebody like that but that was as far as I read.

And the opposite angle

John Deere Model B

The advice I received from Bill's son was to keep it simple and as basic as possible. I understand his reasoning but at the same time modding is all about voiding the warranty (Thanks MNPCTECH) and creating something personal. To me there's nothing more mundane or boring than an off the shelf box that someone simply throws a couple stickers on and then says "it's mine". Zzzzzzzz
    For this build I've tried to pre-plan as much as possible but along the way you know as modder's there is always a demand for change however subtle or wild it may be. I want it to be both functional and aesthetic as possible for the user. I want it to have a little pizzaz but not go over the top and become a confusing menagerie of electronics to this user.

Here we go:

The first pic is the right side cabinet wall, painted and prepped for a window now. I thought about using a UV light for the interior but double checked with his youngest daughter to see what her impressions were. She chose a white light so that's what I'm going with. I can always change it out if it doesn't look right.

Here is the right side cabinet wall. For this side there will be a major modification using some newer components and a classic idea mixed together, only tech-daddy knows what it is . Dramatic? Probably not, but pretty neat and aesthetic. On this one I have to give major thanks to MNPCTECH for their how to videos on youtube. It made the paint job really stand out and look pretty close to professional and with a high gloss.

Now is the front bezel which is no where near finished yet but will contain at least a few mod components that will be functionally pleasing. Because of how much I liked the Bulgin Switch on Mary's Rural Pleasure I will be using another with a different color scheme. They're pricey but they totally scream quality.

This part is the top which will have 2 faux smokestacks (one green and one black) that will serve as secondary exhausts. One for the case interior (with fan) and one for the PSU. A very simple idea that's going to be a little work to implement correctly and have it stable be stable too.

That takes care of the basic outside parts. Now let's look at the inside.

Again, simplicity is the key here so we've kept the interior colors to a bare minimum with not a lot of detail other than one basic color. I drilled out the rivets to give it a better quality paint job and so everything would look professional as possible.

The front of the frame carriage.

The interior of the frame carriage.

Floppy drive carriage. Closed boxes of any type are a little difficult to get a quality pant spray into when you're working with a can lol. Patience!

Top carriage used for optical drives and to cradle the PSU.

The motherboard will be a Foxconn M61PMV using an AMD AM2 dual core 2.4 Ghz (I think) processor with 2Gb of Corsair RAM (board maximum) and a 320 Gb Western Digital Blue Caviar HDD. The OS will of course be Windows 7 Ultimate which allocates RAM better than any other OS imo.

That's where I'm at so far. As things get built, changed and modded I'll continue to post my worklog here for this build. Nothing overly fancy but I think when it's finished it will look very nice. Happy modding bros!

Ga ... U.S.A.

John Deere Model B

Cool ... brings back memories of my John Deere Collectors case mod.

Bad lighting shows the paint color wrong, but it was all JD I even did a Massey Ferguson lol. I still plan on doing another JD one day soon also.

Good Luck buddy, it's looking good.

John Deere Model B

Looks very nice sh4rkbyt3. Cant wait to see more.

John Deere Model B

Sweet job Xcal. I had only seen one prior JD mod and wondered why more people hadn't chosen this theme, I guess maybe they're not all showcased? Excellent paint job on yours!
    This will be my first JD mod but I have another one already planned out for the future.
    The paint I used is a little brighter than the standard JD colors because I thought they were kind of dull, traditional albeit but dull never the less. If you have any pics of the Massey-Ferguson one I'd really enjoy seeing them also.

MY next JD one will be with the traditional colors because of the type of design.

Thanks AF, I've got a lot more stuff to order yet so the rest of what I'm able to do will be put on temporary hold or at least minimized for the moment but I'm hoping to have the bulk of the supplies ordered within the next week or two.

Through MNPCTECH's website I've found that wet sanding with fine grit paper (400 and 600 grit) is a necessity to get that smooth glossy and glass look. I think Razor or someone had a post about that as well which also helped.

I've also painted the mobo tray which I'll try to post this week or as soon as I get it finished. That along with some detail painting to the upper carriage and the floppy drive carriage will finish off almost all of the painting until I get to the bezel front.

John Deere Model B

Got antsy last night so I decided to pull out the pop rivet gun and give it a go. The frame went back together nicely once I figured out how to get the top carriage tabs back into place without scratching the paint surface lol.

I didn't get a chance to get pics of the mobo tray or the floppy drive carriage individually but you can see them installed in these photos. So far everything is going together very nicely at least until I got to the backplate for the mobo. The one that came with the board isn't even close to what I need (way too large) so I'm hoping I can dig up the original one that came with the old Pentium 3 mobo or else there will be a lot of cutting and sanding.
    I'm probably going to have to handpaint the back of the PSU because some of the components on it weren't easy to remove for spray painting. And I've already enlarged the hole for the Bulgin switch which should be fairly close.
    One thing I'll have to work around is the fact this board only has 2 - 3 prong fan connectors. I had only planned for there to be 2 add on fans so a splitter coming off the mobo should just do the trick. The other connector of course will be for the CPU fan which I don't want to compromise.
    Here are the update photos:

Here is the right side of the case which will have the wiring trails hidden in it (hopefully) and the add on mystery component to be added at a later date.

Next up is the interior of the case. Not a lot of glitz or glamour but hey it's a John Deere lol.

A little more detailed look of the inside with the mobo making it's debut appearance.

And the front of the interior with a 3/4" hole for the Bulgin switch and an 80mm intake fan added for cooling. I'm probably going to put a dust screen over this and then just leave a cut-out area on the front bezel, practical purposes.

And finally we have the seldom bothered with (until an emergency) rear of the case. Because there was some difficulty (my lack of knowledge) in removing the switch components from the PSU, I'll probably have to hand paint this part to make it all blend in.

The case feet are going to be another issue I hadn't planned on dealing with. Because this is such a short case the mobo actually goes down to the floor (interior) and about 2 capacitors are actually in line of where the threads would be protruding into the case. I'll have to move the two right feet about 5/8" to 3/4" in to the middle to gain clearance for the bolt, nuts and wires. Not a calamity, just something I hadn't gotten to in the planning.

There you have it, progress .

Ga ... U.S.A.

John Deere Model B

Looking great buddy.

Thread Information