Thread: Late but done never the less! A8N32-SLI Opteron 170C'd

Late but done never the less! A8N32-SLI Opteron 170C'd

I finally had a little time on my hands to figure out how to OC this Asus mobo that I had wanted to do several years ago when i first purchased it and my Opteron proccy. It may not be big news to anyone here but I was happy to finally make this jump knowing the board and processor combination and what was possible on air alone.
    Yesterday I hit 2.501 Ghz which only displayed on CPU-z as 2.500 Ghz and ran it for 24 hours. No problems at all and VERY stable!
    Today I bumped it up to what is supposed to be the known limit on air at 2.603 Ghz and it is still running fine having played 2-3 episodes of Left 4 Dead 2 as a test. I'll do some thermal testing later tonight probably but it is running great with no glitches whatsoever .

Here is my screen shot from CPU-z to prove my system is finally OC'd to decent numbers.

Finally whew, got over the 10,000 mark on 3dMark05 which I had used previously to find out my system was rated at about 9,300. This time I am well over that mark .

Cool beans buddy! tweak it 'til it bleeds

And core temperatures on air using a Thermaltake tt heatsink and fan (Silent Boost RX K8). Both the processor and the heatsink were lapped and Artic Silver 5 thermal grease was used. Hopefully these temps look pretty good since they haven't changed at all from the original 2.16 Ghz overclock I had been previously running. I should be installing a Cooler Master Hyper 101A using two fans (intake/exhaust) possibly this weekend or next and retiring the Thermaltake for a later build.
    My one gripe looking at the CM Hyper is that it's 1) not fully a copper base and 2) their are air rails (gaps) between the flat copper cores and the aluminum base which run parallel on the bottom. I may still lap this some but there is no way to eliminate the air rails without cutting too deeply into the copper and possible creating a hole in the surface. Still though, with it running dual fans I should still be able to obtain at least a small drop in temps.

LOL thanks Xcal . I was real happy to achieve this since it's green territory for me but something I wanted to do when I originally built this system.
    I might just leave it at 2.60 for now until I get the new Hyper CPU cooler installed and see where that goes.
    The high on the first core reads 49 C which is 120.2 F.
    The high on the second core is 46 C which is 114.8 F.

Not sure how high that can go yet and still fall within the safe range.

Ok, ok sow I had to tweak it just a little more on Xcal's comments . The temps didn't change much except to get them a little more consistent. I think I could probably get it to 2.7 on air at this point and be right around 51c - 52c as the high mark? I'm aware many OC it until it blue screens or shuts down but I'm not sure if I want to get it that high or not.
    Here are the new results:

Looks as if I'm going to have to push 2.7 next !

Are those the temps when it idles or under load?

Hi enamor, those temps were under an idle condition so in my final OC here at 2.66 Ghz I've ran it with pretty much a full load using Spybot S&D as well as Malwarebytes, running Teatimer in the background as well AND Emsisoft Anti-Malware which pretty much puts it close to a 100% load condition as you can see in the temps readout.
    I had the system running fine with stable temps at a clock speed of 2.70 but my wireless connection cut out and wouldn't re-enable (possible limitation of NIC card?). So I've backed it down to 2.66 and it seems to be running fine.
    Here are the results and I'm now over 13,000 on the 3dMark05 benchtest .

Asus A8N32-SLI
    AMD Opteron 170 originally 2.0 Ghz proccy
    Thermaltake 500W PSU
    4 Gb G.Skill DDR Ram (running 32 bit mode only uses 2 Gb, which I'm using now)
    Antec 900
    Windows 7 Ultimate x86
    Thermaltake tt heatsink and fan (Silent Boost RX K8)

This will probably be as far as I'll take it now since it's running stable.

3dMark05 verification page

CPU-z verification page

CoreTemps readout

CPU-z on screen verifier

Thread Information