Thread: ATI Crossifre vs NVidia SLI?

Primered

ATI Crossifre vs NVidia SLI?

I was comparing prices on components, pretty sure I will bu going with AMD since their 6 core is around teh same price of one of the core i7 quad core... and will go with the ASUS Crosshair IV mobo...High end mobo, all the latests bells and whistles, but one thing I just noticed.. It says it supports ATI crossfire for multi GPUs.. but says nothing, yea or nay, about being able to support SLI for NVIDIA cards... soo...

If a motherboard says yes to Crossfire, but nothing about SLI...

Does that mean it wont do SLI...and also, will it not support NVIDIA cards?

I am going to be using the new line of NVidia Fermi cards.. likely the 470...

A link would help, but here is a rule of thumb right now.

Intel chip sets (like the X58) are doing both CF and SLI.

AMD you can do both BUT you have to get the right mother board for you choice.

An AMD motherboard with a NVIDIA chip set will do SLI and not CF.

All non NV chip set boards do CF only.

IT kind of makes sense as AMD owns ATI so would you not want to promote your hardware more ;-)

Primered

See I would think that they wouldnt blatantly advertise, yes we use SLI even though we are an ATI board.. but i want to get the nvidia gtx 470 series..and would hate to find if I cant use SLI on it later on when I am ready to go multi GPU... the mobo I am looking at is this Asus model

I have heard that you can get special drivers/hacked drivers that would allow SLI on Crossfire...anyone know much bout this?

I would not say blatant it is the chip sets they have. I will tell you what I will see if I can contact our ASUS rep and see what he has to say on which one is the best for SLI and affordable. And if hacked drivers really work.

My guess will be This one

Primered

YEa... I dont know if all motherboards have their fair share of glitches and stuff, but that motherboard seems to have alot of problems with being put together badly, primarily the northbridge's heatsink apparently having bad contact... I was so giddy to finally have found the perfect motherboard/cpu combo, only to find i will be limited with an nvidia card, aaaand there apparently is quite a few glitches present as well...

Is that why AMD is able to be so cheap? Better choice when wanting to balance cost and power? Is it because they use second rate parts? I mean.. its got to be cheaper for a reason.. wheres all the saved money coming from?

If you do not plan to ever go SLi then you can use you choice of mother board. Any board will work with a single card from any manufacture.

Primered

OH yes of course... But something about buying a motherboard and not being able to take advantage of one of its major/key features does bug me.

Thread Information