Thread: Project: Gun Safe Case Mod

Project: Gun Safe Case Mod

This will be my newest creation. After all the exposure with my Ant Farm case I wasn't sure what else to do for a while. After taking a little time away from modding I am excited to get going again.

Would you believe I finally have something started?

I have done a ton of research and I think I still have a little more to do as far as locking mechanisms and things. The safe companies don't seem to want to give up any info. :cry:

I am hoping to work with one company so I can put their name on it and use their lock.

This is what the final look will be. Complete with locks.

I bought a used Antec case that had some slight damage that I have broken down to use as a guide for hardware placement. Don't freak when you see the case butchered! It was used.

So far I do know this -

It will be constructed out of 1/4" acrylic rather than aluminum. This will cut down on weight and cost.

It will be 1/3 scale of an actual safe.

It will be air cooled with some unique venting.

It will have a hidden slot drive.

It will have a keypad lock and/or possibly biometric as well. I will be limited somewhat by being 1/3 scale.

Ok now for some pics=

I have started the build using cardboard to scale. I have the acrylic but I won't be wildly cutting into it until I am sure of dimensions. It's not exactly cheap.

I need to make sure it has plenty of room for hidden wiring as I like things super clean.

I will tighten the gap a little more on the actual door.

This is looking through the back.

This is the door open and you can see the lip for the door to stop and the locking pins to catch when shut.

The door has to be thick to fit all the hardware inside and pins that slide out.

So that's what I have right now.

Sorry for the delay but I've been working on a few cars. I have an old Chevelle I'm getting close to paint on and then I can shift all my focus to this case.

Well as I was attempting to spend some time doing quality modding, my house sprung a leak and destroyed the main floor. I now have it getting put back together finally!

So I thought I should get back to work on the mod. I got quite a bit of the mock up done. This is the first time I've used cardboard and I sure am glad I did because I ran into a couple things I didn't see coming. :?

I really wanted to have the door hinged on the left if you are looking straight at it. But gun safes generally are hinged on the right. I'm going to have to make it that way which will be more authentic anyway. I couldn't do it the other way because of space issues with the hinges.

I started working on the hinges. I am doing the "hidden hinge" style. They have to be made to allow for the door to swing out far enough away but yet close so that it doesn't catch on the lip around it on it's way back in. I will be using 3/16" aluminum flat bar but for now I'm using some perforated material that bends easy.

It will hinge from inside the case so ther will be several bends involved.

This shows where it will be located on the inside of the door.

I am putting a floor in it to hide the PSU, and a 1" space behind the mobo tray to allow for wire management.

This will be similar to the back panel. You can see I put the panel so that it sits back about an inch. This will allow for another false back to hide the connections, fans, etc.

Here it is with the false back on it hiding everything. The false back will only be used during "Show and Tell" but will need to come off when running to keep it cool. There will be a hole cut out near the bottom so that power can be ran out the back to turn it on and let it boot. This will be only to show off a few features that I'll keep quiet for now.

This puts me at about 80% of the way on mock up I think. Some of the stuff I have to wait until I start fitting acrylic. I'm using 3/8" acrylic but it measures out at .350 instead of .375 so there will be a little more math involved.

I have not heard back from Fort Knox yet so it may be "Acme Gun Safe" instead.

Looks interesting. If you want to keep the false back there during operation, for looks, you could change it to something like speaker cloth (or that fine speaker mesh material you see on subwoofers car speakers etc.). It wouldn't take much away from the illusion of having a flat panel there I think (at least that's the way it looks in my head )

Looks interesting. If you want to keep the false back there during operation, for looks, you could change it to something like speaker cloth (or that fine speaker mesh material you see on subwoofers car speakers etc.). It wouldn't take much away from the illusion of having a flat panel there I think (at least that's the way it looks in my head )
    Hey thx.

That is a real solid idea I may think about. The false back will mostly be for showing off the mod and would not be left in place during normal operation. I may try your idea and see how I like it. 8-)

http://www.mnpctech.com/moddersmesh.html

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Good to see that someone sells sheets of this stuff.

I think that*this information is*the best.

Thread Information