Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster Truck Case

Monster Truck Case

Hey Everyone! I'm back with another mini ITX scratch build. If you recall, I did one for my daughter: a Kai Lan themed case. Well this one is for my son, and will be a monster truck themed case, built much in the same way, with stacked laser-cut acrylic pieces. Here are some mockups out of Sketchup:

Moddersmart cut me some acrylic according to my vector files I sent:

I got some real rubber R/C monster truck tires from RC Planet online. These things are 3 1/4" wide x 6" diameter.

For hardware, I'll be using this Jetway mobo sent to me from Bit-Tech (as a prize replacement for a 220v psu)

To show you how big these tires are, I set one next to the mini ITX motherboard lol:

For power I turned to short-circuit.com once again for a picoPSU/power brick combo:

The Crucial DDR2 800 4Gb memory kit and 64Gb SSD combo worked so awesomely in my daughter's case, I saw no reason to choose otherwise for this build.

And of course, one cannot have a true miniITX build without one of these slot-load, slim-line DVD-ROM drives.

Here I'm placing the parts onto the base to see where things will fit:

...with one edge piece layed on:

...more...

...with the top layers on...

...and the tires in place:

Of course, I will have the body and fender pieces on both sides of the case, since it will be sitting on all 4 tires.
    I'm going with a Grave Digger theme because a: my son likes that one the best, and b: it's one truck in which I can fit the components rather easily, thanks to its shape.

More to come this week as I work on adding some mesh to the outer pieces.

Monster Truck Case

Awesome!!

Moddersmart... will have to check them out.

Monster Truck Case

How ironic .... Grave Digger is what I had almost built for my Hot Rod Mod. lol Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Monster Truck Case

You aren't going to mount the MoBo like that, though, are you? Or are you going to go back and cut the port holes? Because if you might it like that, it's gonna cause cable management issues down the road.

Monster Truck Case

Thanks Tony and Vic!

You aren't going to mount the MoBo like that, though, are you? Or are you going to go back and cut the port holes? Because if you might it like that, it's gonna cause cable management issues down the road.
    You're right, I will most likely point the I/O side down and cut an opening for it thru the bottom for cable access. I wasn't paying attention to the motherboard's orientation when I set it in for positioning.

Monster Truck Case

I have actually got a Grave Digger Go Kart by Carter Bros in my basement ... that I need to finish restoring. Not that it needed much it was basically brand new with just a few hours on it, my sister bought it before she died and they rode on it maybe 3-4 hours. When she passed they left it sitting outside covered with a tarp until it rotted and the paint on the frame started to rust. I have since sand blasted and repainted it. anyway ...

How old is your son? I assume your building this for him?

Monster Truck Case

I have actually got a Grave Digger Go Kart by Carter Bros in my basement ... that I need to finish restoring. Not that it needed much it was basically brand new with just a few hours on it, my sister bought it before she died and they rode on it maybe 3-4 hours. When she passed they left it sitting outside covered with a tarp until it rotted and the paint on the frame started to rust. I have since sand blasted and repainted it. anyway ...

How old is your son? I assume your building this for him?
    Sorry to hear about your sister, that sucks. The go kart sounds like a lot of fun, hope you get it back up and running soon!

My son will be 7 in November, and he's been bugging me to build him a case ever since I did Kai Lan (can't say that I blame him lol). I did her's first because her birthday was coming up at the time and I had the parts. I tried to include him in the build so he wouldn't feel so bad, but I still had to promise I would make him a case too. Gotta love sibling rivalry! :P

Monster Truck Case

Thanks bro ...

LOL, yup and sibling rivals usually have a strong bond, he'll be her personal body guard as they grow.

I Just need to get motivated to re-assemble it. lol

Monster Truck Case

BTW ... Parma makes some great RC sized decals for the Grave Digger. Google should pull them up. Just sort of match your build to the RC scale they use...1/8th etc

Monster Truck Case

Thanks Tony and Vic!.
    Uh...Dewayne, not Tony...lol

If you don't mind me asking what was the cost of the getting the plexi cut? Did you have to supply the material? What was the turn around to get it done?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information