Thread: First Mod - Looking For Help

First Mod - Looking For Help

Hi there!

I just put together my new computer - nothing super, just a Dual Core, 4GB of RAM, 500GB Hard Drive, but I'm on a budget - and decided that even if it's not the best computer out there, by god, I'll make it look like it

I just want to do something simple, at least for starters. I figured I would do what most modders tend to do first, which is the window mod. Cut a hole in the side of my case, put some plexiglass behind it, add some cathode or LED lights, and maybe stick a vinyl decal on the window to top it all off.

I would tell you exactly where I need help, but to be honest, it's everywhere. I don't know where to begin, continue, or finish. I guess I'll start with this: how can I cut the shape I want in my case? Yahoo! Answers suggested a Manual Shear Press, but all I can find are shopping sites listed from China and price estimates over ten thousand dollars. So.... no. Given the large number of people that do this, I kind of doubt that's the only way to do it.

Next up is the plexiglass. Luckily, I've already found that this site has some tutorials on using plexiglass, but I just wanted to clarify a few things, primarily this: how much bigger than the 'hole' should the plexiglass be cut?

Thirdly, can the same process that is used for modding PC's be used to mod, say, XBoxes?

And lastly, this isn't really important since I can find out for myself soon enough, but if you'd like to save me time, how much would this process cost me? Eventually when I get good at modding, I plan to start doing it commercially (if posting an ad on Kijiji counts as commercial!), but for now, would I be paying big bucks for the hardware, or $29.99 for a do-it-yourself kit from Home Hardware?

Thanks a lot in advance, guys!

1) Dremel. Cheap and powerful little things. Buy one that needs a wall outlet to run and not a battery one. Tape the back of the panel, draw the window with a permanent marker, cut it out with the cutting disc, get a metal file to clean up the cut.

2) I'd guess enough for the 3M tape to hold onto (3/4 of an inch to an inch since 3M double sided is about 1/2 an inch)

3) It's roughly the same thing, as materials change so do the rules.

4) Depends on what you buy. Look local for everything you can. Dremel's can be bought at any hardware store (ideally, anyways), plexiglass may be a little harder to find, but tape and a permanent marker can be found anywhere.

I guess I'll start with this: how can I cut the shape I want in my case? Yahoo! Answers suggested a Manual Shear Press, but all I can find are shopping sites listed from China and price estimates over ten thousand dollars. So.... no. Given the large number of people that do this, I kind of doubt that's the only way to do it.
    Jigsaw or Dremel are probably the two most used options for beginners. You can pick up a cheap Jigsaw at just about any Home Depot, Lowes type stores. They should also have a few options for Dremels, but they will cost a little more.

Next up is the plexiglass. Luckily, I've already found that this site has some tutorials on using plexiglass, but I just wanted to clarify a few things, primarily this: how much bigger than the 'hole' should the plexiglass be cut?
    Well that depends on the type of installation you're planning to use. If you are going to use something like the H-Lock window trim then this will help. If you're planning on mounting the window with double sided tape, silicone, or similar adheasive, then you will want to give yourself roughly 3/8 - 1/2 around the window opening to do so. If you're planning on bolting the window in, then I would do a test piece to see how well the plexi that you use handles the stress of the bolt hole and bolt install. Sometimes if you don't leave enough room on the edge it will crack from drilling it or even bolting it.

Thirdly, can the same process that is used for modding PC's be used to mod, say, XBoxes?
    Yes

And lastly, this isn't really important since I can find out for myself soon enough, but if you'd like to save me time, how much would this process cost me?
    That will depend on the plexi that you purchase and your choice of installation method. Could be as cheap as $10 bucks or could be more if you buy a window kit from one of the online shops.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Already being super helpful. I now know what kind of tool I need (and I already have it even! Nice luck there) and generally what to do about the plexiglass. Thanks so much for your help, I'll be sure to upload pictures once I start

Thread Information