Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twisted... Reborn

Twisted... Reborn

This is a re-post. Figured I would start things off with it... Twisted has not received a proper worklog so since I am redoing part of it I thought why not post what I have. (Sorry its bits and pieces).

Seen several pics of ThermalTakes thought I pop a few up of mine .

Original Case Pics.

First mod: Sleeved the cables, and installed the red cathode. Installed the round cables.

Second mod: Lighting the hardcano9 so I could see the display without the lights on in the room. Well it took (4 led's) and a few hours to make work. Got up the next morning and half the display had quit working. Then choose to remod it.

Third mod: Change the THERMALTAKE name on the front. First attempt worked but I wasnt happy with the effect I got from using led's. Wanted to use EL Tape (for lack of a red tape) I had to resort to coiling EL wire behind the name plate.

Fourth mod: After the hardcano died. I cut the faceplate up to mount the new display (pics above), I took out the fan controls and built them into a 5 1/4 drive bay. Pic shows painted drives as well.

Sometime during the process I added a Taz emblem on the window. Also durring the process I replaced the BLUE led (power on) with a RED led to go with my color choice.

Fifth mod: Cut side panel to fit new window in and blasted a new tazz pic on the window, didnt turn out as good as I hoped on the first try, but will on the next. (he appears to be holding onto the handle as he is being blown away by the comp "twister&#34.

Sixth mod: Painted the inside of the case red, rewired all fans with gold wire with the clear red covering.

Seventh mod: Removed the orginal fan holder on the window side, and mounted fans in the bottom of the case.

Will be adding more lights, and more led goodies.

Twisted... Reborn

Well two days undoing a few things on mine, then remodding them.

Changed the white and glow in the dark cable scheme on my system to yellow and black. Ran some wires differently.

Twisted... Reborn

In the process of making some changes on my system...Redid some more wires. Reversed the hdds and routed cables accordingly. In the process of repainting the case (already planing on redoing it again, not happy with the paint choice). Still havent painted the front panels quite yet.

Twisted... Reborn

Well havent updated much lately. Besides swapping blue leds for red ones in the case feet. I replaced 5 of the fans with 5 of the Xoxide Aluminum Red LED Fans. Removed the red aluminum panles from the front and replaced them with plexi which is also lit with red leds (ran short on leds, still have to add two more).

Now to paint the front panel, possibly add a top window, and thinking on a right window as well. Oh and I still have to re-wire my ccl lights so I can get rid of the wires tucked above the top hdd.

Twisted... Reborn

Well since QuakeCon 2005 is just around the corner I thought I might do a little more work on Twisted. Its been sitting there waiting for sometime now.

Still has the basic same overall look. I love it when people slam on the "pre-mods" :twisted: . There is only one thing left on this case now that has not been modded yet.

Durring the last couple of weeks I have redone the front lexan to produce a more even light plus give it a better daylight look while everything is off. I removed the dual hdd racks that where stock in it and replaced them with a pair of lexan hdd racks mounted to the mb tray. I also added a top and bottom window with the design of the front panel. Re-did the way I light the Tazz logo on the front. Re-wired the LED feet (wires run under the case instead of along the inside). Utilized 2 sets of RCA jacks (defyant style) for the front panel lgiht mods, and the case feet. I have the Lexan hdd racks lit "defaynt style" with 6 LEDS. Space was tight with the hdd rack so I left the wires in view.

In trying to hide my wires a little better I found out my motherboard and the space behind it do not get along with the idea of slipping them behind the mb. The progns on almost everything on the board stick out just a little to much and I didnt want to take a chance with it penitrating one of my power wires going threw there . If the case wasnt going to be making a 13+ hour drive to QC I would have done it. I just didnt want to chance getting there and having to pull the thing apart to fix a short.

I was going to paint the front panel but still have a CaseModGod.com badge on the front so I chose to wait till I get back from QC to remove it and paint the front panel.

Nuff said about that. Heres the pics.

1st cut on the top panel.

Top panel after cleaning up some of the cuts.

1st cut on the bottom window.

Inspired by defaynt on this one. I haven't used CCFL's in this case for a long time. I have tried to keep the lighting dim for the most part (My eyes do not like bright light and the red CCFLs all look pink to me.). So I decided to go with the Lexan hdd racks and light them with 3 leds each.

Test run with the leds.

Test fitting with the hdd rack.

Front panel with the new lexan. To give the front back its color when the system is not running I painted the backside of the lexan red to match the inside of the case.

The front RCA jacks for the light mods.

jpg">
    Hardware installed.

Harddrives installed and lit.

More Red :twisted: .

Ohhh.. Ahhh... :evil: Yes I know the stickers could have been removed, covered, or something done with them on the hdds. They are still under warranty so I left them as is.

Top panel. Doesn't show much but its a damn site better than the stock fan grill / connector hub that was there.

Bottom panel.

Twisted... Reborn

Thanks Thrasher.

The only thing I might humbly suggest. Is to paint the top window red like the front one. Since there is nothing going on up there it might bring some continuity. but thats so minor.
    Well after you stated it and I received another comment. I did a little thinking and thought you guys are probably correct. It would probably pull things in a little more and add a bit more color to the top. So all you can do is tear it down and do it again.

The only thing that I was concerned about was having some light from in the case trying to bleed threw the paint and showing. But I got enough on it that it didnt. Ya I know I got 2 screws left to put back in .

Twisted... Reborn

Thanks Spazz... it took me a little while to build this system.

Well this is probably going to be the last change it gets before it goes to the big ol state of Texas.

Twisted... Reborn

Well Ya I know this is old and all but I thought I would toss up a couple of fresh pictures. Over the last 6 months Twisted has received some TLC and a few new parts. Although I have not taken a lot of pics on Twisted I still have a decent collection of all the changes its been through over the years.

Since it came back from Quakecon it has received a new PSU, Watercooling, and some wire management.

Here is a pic of it just after adding the Watercooling kit I reviewed from Vantec.

Here is a pic from earlier this week after integrating the watercooling kit inside the case. I mounted the pump inverted under the Optical drive rack and the Resivoir directly under that.

Yes I know its filthy, its been sitting here running for better than a week without any of the panels on it.

Today I decided to take it down yet again and modify the hose routing for the water cooling and try a couple of things with the wires. I have the outer shell completely off being prepped for fresh paint and I am fixing to change some of the existing wiring used for the LED lighting.

Here is the pic showing todays changes, watercooling lines slightly altered andd The Ultra X-Connect cables shortened to make things more of a direct line from the PSU to the component.

Like I stated, she is slated for fresh paint in the next week or so (depending on how I am feeling), then a few more wiring changes and I will probably call it officailly done. I also scored a 19" Dell 8ms LCD and bought myself a new camera (damn thing shows the dirt now ).

Twisted... Reborn

Nice one mate .. (im sure I've seen it before on CMG once :P) ..

I've got a lil idea for ya.

I've modded a Xaser III once for someone, and removed the X-sign, and replaced it with a B crossing another B (his name is Boris Benslow, he's from germany). I dont have any pictures left, since we don't talk to eachother anymore (got in a real fight once), and I lost all the pics due to a hdd crash.

Maybe you can replace this X with a big T (from tazz). I'm sure you can pull it off either way..

GreeTzz

I'm talking about this X:

Twisted... Reborn

Well as soon as I can get back to it... That X is going bye bye officially. I am going to re shoot the exterior panels all high gloss black including the front. Right now Twisted sits atop my desk just a mear chasiss with parts in it. LOL have had the panels off for better than a month now and havent been able to shoot it. Its all good tho, its been a little too chilly here to paint.

Is actually how its sitting right now. I have completed the shortening of the X-Connect modular cables since that shot tho. So get the panels painted and lol hit a buddy up for one small favor and she will be deemed as a complete mod and I will move on to the next build. Hopefully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information