Thread: Stopped booting -- blown cap?

Clear Coat

Stopped booting -- blown cap?

So I normally leave my computer on 24/7, with the occasional rebooting. I went to reboot about 10 minutes ago and did my usual routine of a full shutdown, then power back up a couple minutes later.

Only this time, the power comes on, but the bios never loads, I never get anything on the LCDs, and not even a beep out of the speaker.

I popped open the case, and there is a single bulging/vented capacitor up near the RAM slots. It appears that this occurred some time ago though. I pulled the non-essentials out of the computer (hard drives, peripherals, DVD drive) and it still won't even get to BIOS.

I'm thinking that something on the board went bad, since the CPU fan still spins up (powered from CPU fan header), and the rest of the hardware seems to start up properly.

Any ideas?

Possibly, I had a cap located by the memory on a Sapphire board break a leg once and it stopped it from booting.

Clear Coat

Huh. well I swapped to my backup motherboard (yay for packrats?) and its up and running again, though I think I botched my reapplication of the thermal compound.

something went wrong on that board, perhaps I'll try to replace the cap and see if it works again.

Yeah, mine broke a leg while being shipped from Indiana, to Vegas, got shipped from Vegas to Florida to get repaired and then on the trip from Florida (after it was running again) it was shipped backed to me in Indiana.. LOL which got crushed in the last step, thankfully the hardware all survived...

If I held it just right I could get it to boot, but just as soon as I let go it would lock and not reboot.

Post some images...

Thread Information