Thread: When was the last time you upgraded your video card?

When was the last time you upgraded your video card?

Why did you upgrade grade or are you still on the same card from 2001 if so why haven't you taken the jump to a new card?

Hehe my only video card i've had in the last 8 years was a geforce (something a' rather) 64MB card. It was so long ago that it was in my first computer i ever owned and that was back in 2002, boy have things changed now and i haven't seen another card since.

Technically as of right now i would have to have a low profile card just to fit into my acer Lol (giggles) I would defiantly love a new card or a new computer at that so it would be worth upgrading But money is more less the issue, and only as of lately that i've really gotten into computers as a hobby.
    Thats my story of why i have no card at all...

I upgraded when 8800GT G92 was the new card on the block (so quite a while). Prior to that I was running a 6800 GT and wanted to be able to play games with higher graphic settings and higher res. to support a wide screen monitor. I've been holding off on getting a GTX460 but that will probably be my next card.

I got a GTX 260 last year as a gift (thanks BASS) and early this year I got another to run in SLI.

I'm not planning on doing any card upgrading until these twins no longer do the job! :wink:

For a long time I was running with a x1950 pro card and since I was upgrading my system I went with a 4870, after that died I missed the great graphics the 4870 offered over the x1950 and upgraded to a 5770 card which I am still running with.

My next upgrade will be another 5770 to try out crossfire in the distant future.

Heh .. I didn't have a computer in 2001 0-0

When I first started looking at components, and thinking to build mine, the ATI 9800 Pro was THE card at the moment and I dreamed of having that kind of performance, but it was WAY out of my price range.
    Funny though, because of the time I took in research and building it, I found that the price had dropped enough that could get it (about $200 is my graphics card budget)

That was good for quite some time ..
    I then saw an ATI X800XT Platinum on sale at ATI in the Refurbished area .. heck for $220 and a 5 year warranty I had to get it (was not too happy about the "hair drier loud" cooler though)
    Even today It still has good performance at 1280x1024 but I found that new games need an updated pixel shader over 2.0 and will not play ... I thought that I would not be able to play the newest FEAR or the next HL2 8O

Found an HSI Ice Cool 3850 on ebay for $200 so I have that now, and it works wonderfuly on the new games , and the HIS cooler dumps the heat out of my case and is quiet.

No money to upgrade to something other than AGP ... although I do keep "building" a LGA 1366 rig

Clear Coat

BFG 7800GT (factory overclocked) until last year, bumped myself to a Radeon 5750 at a good price. Upgraded for the eyefinity triple screen capabilities, even though I only use two screens. LOL

Thread Information