Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Core Folding @ Home

Multi-Core Folding @ Home

Some of you may have already done this but there is a better way of running Folding @ Home if you're using a multi-core processor.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinUNIGuide

It's actually fairly easy to set up so long as you remember your cores and assignments lol.

I tried running all 6 of the cores dedicated to f@h on my 1055t but it really bogged the system down pretty bad. Shut down 1 core and she's running smoothly now on just 5 cores. The temps did go up a little on the CPU from 31C to 39C but it's stable now at 39C. Also the NorthBridge went from 32C to 37C.
    Other than a small rise in temps no problems at all. My GPU (Ati 5870) didn't even budge it's 30C temp at all.
    If you're running a quad-core I'd suggest just running 3 cores.

Make sure you get rid of the work and que data folders from the original installation after you've made your copies!

Clear Coat

I chose to run the "special" multicore version -- one client uses up to 4 cores. (also runs fine on dual core processors -- not sure about the tri-core phenoms though)

Took a bit of effort, but at least at the time (about a year ago) one multicore client was producing more points than two single core clients together. Then I switched to GPU folding....

GPU I can't do but I may try the SMP folding to see how it goes.

I did do all 6 cores this weekend and it did work. Temps leveled off @ what I already posted and the NB actually got down to 35C on it's own?

Anyhoo I raised my WU's to about 20+ in 3 days lol.

Running the SMP client now for several days and the point totals are much better. The only problem is we're getting our butts handed to us on folding@home. Our team ranking was down to 812 on Wednesday and as of last night (Friday) we jumped back up to 814. I'm assuming in this case, the lower number is better?

Trying to help the team out here but on my own I can only do so much.

Clear Coat

yeah -- the closer to 1, the better. Unfortunately my folding system is out of the running at the moment. I had a critical failure on 60% of my case cooling so if I run f@h my cpu shuts down due to temps.

Ewwww 60%? How the heck.....

I went through some of the top teams and most of them have at least 1,000 members showing so it's near impossible for us to even hope to get close to that arena with only 43 members and less than 10% of them being active. This morning we got bumped again to #816. I'll continue to try to do what I can but I think it's going to fall very short.

Clear Coat

Yeah -- my giant 200mm feel out of its bearing (semi permanently this time) and then my top 140mm (right over the (slowly failing) CPU heatsink tried to bite my finger and lost a blade for its trouble, so now it spins unbalanced. Have a new 200, a new 120 and a new HSF on the way, so hopefully I'll be back up and running soon.

Cool , right now it's looking like I'm the only one here running a client so it's less than 1% activity.

Yeah, my folding clients were paused there for a bit. Forgot to turn them back on. ...

Just looking at the point production reporting, and you had a MASSIVE 7k WU that you turned in... how in the HELL did you get that thing? I've been getting tons of craptacularly low point value WU's... I've got all my folder clients running adv methods and large units... not sure what else to do.

Running 2 F@H clients on seperate cores of my CPU, and a 3rd ATI client on my video card... I Have a piddly machine in the garage that is doing WU's that dont have an expiration on them to chime in when it can...

but 7k points on ONE work unit??!?! Gimme some of that!!!

just turned off my 2 CPU clients, and enabled a full tilt, SMP client across the 4 cores... we'll see what happens from here on out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information