Thread: EM3Bilko got lucky

Master Modder

EM3Bilko got lucky

Sunday morning I was asked to leave the computer and come into the living room, which I did and there stood my older brother. This is the third time I have seen him since I moved to TN which has now been 10 months. Before we moved here I had seen him maybe 6 times in the past 13 yrs. So it's been nice to be close enough for him to make the visits. The first thing he said was that he needed help unloading his car. So I follow him out and he hands me a box that said Compaq Model 5304. As he hands it to me he said that what is inside is mine. I take the package into my room where my computers are and open the box and found a Compaq Model 5304. Brother said that it was given to him because it didn't work and he had put out the message that he would take broken computer's off of people's hands. So this is his first one from getting the word out. This Compaq had a 100mhz Cyrix MII cpu, 32megs of memory, 4gig HDD, CD drive, CD Burner 48x and a floppy drive. My brother said he couldn't remember what the person said that was wrong with the unit, so I plugged it in and didn't get anything. I pulled the cpu and replaced it with a 150mhz Cyrix that I had and pushed the power button and it came to life. It had Windows98 on it, not 98SE. So I took some pics of it and so here they are. This will be a modded unit later down the line after I finish Red Lantern maybe. It does scream MOD ME, MOD ME!!! So here are the pics. [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    The last pic is a pic of the seal on the back, the seal that is placed on at the factory.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]

So my brother has the word out that he collects broken computers and he say's that he will bring each one that he gets to me. So what a nice surprise to here that. So I had a good 4th of July. Hope everyone else did too. Happy Modding. :idea:

EM3Bilko got lucky

that definetly Saying MOD ME ..... so you must do what it asks :twisted: erase all existance of it ever being a Compaq ....

EM3Bilko got lucky

woa man just for xmas my aunt gave me her 250 mhz cyrix compaq with 512 mbs of ram and 2 20 gb hds and a 17 inch monitor. still in use today as a comp that stays on and just runs of the electric bill. also mine is the same model as yours but the psu spot is crap on those cases and you have to remove the psu before you can do anything else. lucky dude you are em3

EM3Bilko got lucky

It might be ugly for now, but free is still free

Master Modder

EM3Bilko got lucky

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I thought I would see what I could do with this pc and so this is what I have do as far as what is inside. I removed the mobo and cpu and replaced them with a MSI ms-6378 mobo and the cpu is a AMD 1800XP (Thoroughbred Core) and 512mgs of PC-2700 DDR memory and removed the CD drive and left the CD burner in. The mobo is a MSI micro with the graphics, sound and LAN built in. Have removed the 98 and have XP on now. So now it's a little screamer. I did find the problem with it first which was that the proc was bad and I did have a Cyrix 150mhz which did the trick and it booted right up into 98 right off the bat, but replacing the mobo and proc really made it get up and walk. So I think I will keep it with that setup and mod the case after I finish with Red Lantern. :idea:

EM3Bilko got lucky

nice i currently have a gateway case with similar specs that begs for modding (1700XP 384 mb ram 10 gb hd 64 mb geforce 4)

Thread Information