Thread: My case designs

My case designs

Not sure if this is the right subforum, as this obviously isn't a finished computer

The Level 5
    For this case I took inspiration from the Thermaltake Level 10. One review I read complained about the absolutely massive size of the case. I decided to design a smaller (Mini-ITX) version of the case.

The Level 5 has 2 DVD drive bays, 2 HDD bays, 1 mobo bay, and a PSU bay. Unfortunately, due to size limitations, the PSU has to be a Shuttle PSU (one of those long, thin ones) or a Pico PSU (in which case the PSU bay will be empty).

Here are two pics of my SketchUp model compared to a Level 10:

This is the front of the case, with its 2 USB ports, sound I/O ports, and power button:

The side of the case, showing off all the bays:

The back, showing off the Intel D945GCLF2 I downloaded from the SketchUp Warehouse :

It's not finished yet. If I decide to make it, I need to remake the whole model with the correct dimensions (some are rough guesses) and with a way of putting it together. The current design would have to be made out of one piece :lol:
    Tell me what you think

My case designs

Looks pretty cool! If you decide to make it a reality you may want to check out Level 11 for some layout ideas (mainly the center stack).

My case designs

Defiantly like this idea! My word of advice... BUILD IT Lol TMM gave you a pretty sweet rig to check out defiantly a good reference to go by, jeff does amazing work! And it looks like your are inspired by the same idea. I would say go for it, almost jealous in some ways.

Just a note, what'cha going to do with the wires for your harddrives? I know it still in designing stages but just observing and noticed this, have you thought of how your going to hide them?

My case designs

Thanks for the link TMM! It looks epic (but my friend who hates wood in computer cases was looking over my shoulder and he groaned )

Kordova I really need to think about the wiring in my next version of this design. Can you boot from a RAID card?

My case designs

Thanks for the link TMM! It looks epic (but my friend who hates wood in computer cases was looking over my shoulder and he groaned )

Kordova I really need to think about the wiring in my next version of this design. Can you boot from a RAID card?
    Yeah, it can...my friend's PC does it.

My case designs

Great! I probably won't build this though, or any of the other designs I'll be posting.

I've changed the title of this thread, because I have far too many ideas to make a thread for each one. At some point I might make a poll to decide which one I'll build.

So, without further ado, onto my second design.

Armadillo
    (because it looks vaguely armadillo-like :lol: )

Compared to the Level 5 and 10:

The front (no ports yet, because I can't decide on a layout for them yet):

The red part is a strip of acrylic with LEDs beneath it

The back (not particularly exciting, but you can see the holes in the lid):

The lid (maybe I should rename it to "armoured alienish thing&#34:

I thought about the wiring and airflow very carefully with this case. The HDD and DVD drive are under the mobo, so they could get hot. I added an outlet fan and some baffles so that air is drawn round the sides of the mobo and over the drives, before exiting the base. There is plenty of space for the cables but the components do have a reasonably tight fit, as shown by the comparison with the Level 5. That's all (i think) I have to say about it. Watch this space

My case designs

Great stuff you have there!

Why wont you use or build these?

Would you allow others to use your ideas or work with them on or about the builds?

My case designs

Anyone can use my ideas if they want. I won't be building most of them due to money limitations (and a lack of computers to build them for )

My case designs

I've done it again!
    Well, not really, but I wanted to say that :P

This time the pic is on my blog, but it's not a very exciting one It's just the hardware I'll be using for my next few case designs (It was the first stuff I thought of when I was looking in the Sketchup Warehouse)

Basically it's an Asus P7P55D of some kind (not one of the non-SLI versions), an i7 (didn't mention that in the post for some reason, probably because you can't actually see it in the pic), 2 Nvidia 8800GTXs in SLI, and watercooling.

Hopefully I'll come up with some good stuff with this hardware.

Ooh almost forgot the RAM. It's OCZ Reaper (I know the board uses DDR3, but it was the only good-looking RAM I could find in the first 3 pages of 3D Warehouse results). It also has an SSD (samsung 128GB because that's what I found ). Whoops! Almost posted that with a 1288GB SSD because of my strange fingers :S

Anyway, I'll keep on designing. Sorry if this post is a bit waffley. It's because I really need to go to bed

Thread Information