Thread: A Musical Challenge

A Musical Challenge

Well, it's not actually very musical, as that's only the end result.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is trigger different iTunes playlists using different signals. I'd like to use wireless ones like RFID or QR codes, but first I need it to work with keypresses.

What I need to do is play music in an iTunes playlist (or in a folder somewhere) when a certain action takes place (ie a keypress). I also need different keypresses to start different playlists.

Is there any way to do this on a Mac? (or windows, but I'd prefer to do it on my hackintosh)

A Musical Challenge

You mean hot keys? That's what it sounds like, to me, except for the fact of the wireless codes. This may help you a bit, http://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/shortcutkeys.php

A Musical Challenge

Thanks Enamor! I've got the hotkeys working now, but the problem is the next bit. I tried using ControllerMate to map buttons on my wireless gamepad, but it wasn't playing nice (it was replacing "4"in my shorcuts with "Enter", and other annoying things). So does anyone have any ideas about the next step?

I just want an interesting way of controlling iTunes really. Maybe I could set it up so that a file added to a folder in my Dropbox will start one of my playlists...

Anyway, I'll try and think of some cool ways of activating my keyboard shortcuts

A Musical Challenge

I'm pretty that gamepads use hotkeys, too. Like whatever X would be on the gamepad it'd be Y+Z on the keyboard but I could be wrong because I remember whenever I had my gamepad set up it'd do something similar to what your describing. Whatever the gamepad sets it to you should stick with it, though.

A Musical Challenge

My gamepad has no defaults. The annoying thing is that I can't find any hotkey programs that let you set a single key to run an applescript or simulate a key combination

A Musical Challenge

I mean, when you try to map a hotkey to it, whatever it defaults and shows the new hotkey as. Like, you have the gamepad plugged in and you want it to be so that whenever you press button X, it plays this playlist...it'll probably change it to something else, like return+g.

Might be time to get a multimedia keyboard...I know you can change what the extra keys do and see if there's a way to make a .ini, .bat or .exe that launches the program and starts a playlist. Kind of disappointed that iTunes doesn't have anything like that because I know there's ways to make games run a certain way (for HL2 you have to make the game run in 32bit, so you gotta open the properties of the .exe and add -32 after the Start In or Run As text area).

A Musical Challenge

I got it working with a different keymapper that lets you use applescripts
    I now have an iTunes controller, and I had a joystick spare for mapping to mouse movement (pressing it in counts as a left click)
    I'm happy now, but I'd still like to use RFID at some point once I have the money

Thread Information