Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, A few questions...

Hi, A few questions...

Hello forum!

First up I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to modding computers, or anything like DIY and stuff, but I'm quite a practical person, and I know the ins and outs of computer hardware how to install and upgrade and so on, I'm also what I would consider quite creative. Anyway.

I have been using the same old beige case for the past 2 or 3 years, It's not a pretty sight, the button heads are missing, the drive bay covers are missing, and I dont have the side panels on it because I like to have access into my pc incase something goes wrong, and i thought it would be nice to let air get in and out of it.

Anyway I was thinking recently that I need a new case, so I started looking on the net, (E-bay, E-buyer, and other places where I could find PC cases) and some of them are real nice. I think thought to myself maybe I could just buy a cheap case and make it look nice, I then looked up on Wikipedia on Case Modding, and found out all about microwave PC's and such, and decided that I would go ahead with it.

So I thought the best way to get some practice would be to use my current case and mod it, to see if it is all worth going through with (Like a test of my skill and patience) and I've got a few questions to start myself off.

I've already got the ideas for what i want to do, firstly I need mesh, I don't mind what colour as long as it's black. :P Can I buy black mesh? If so, where would be a good place to look? (Model shop? the internet?) If black mesh isn't easy to get, then what type of paint could I use to paint it black, and where would I get that? I'm pretty sure that painting the mesh would be the best option, as I would need to bend the mesh and if it has paint on it and I start bending it I'm pretty sure the paint would start to flake off. anyway that's my first question.

My second question is also about paint, My front panel of the case is removable and is made out of some type of plastic, what type of paint should I use? I'm guessing some kind of spray paint, but would the spray paint also be good to use on the outside metal casing? (the top and side panels)

My third question is about the left side panel, I want to be able to access and see inside my PC, my side panel is made out of some kind of metal, and is the type of panel that you slide it in from the back to close it, the outside of the panel is painted beige, would it be a probable idea buying a acrylic panel and attaching it to my computer with some hinges or not? or would it be better to just cut a hole into the current side panel and put an acrylic panel behind the hole?

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure to think of other questions and I'll post them on this thread.

Sorry about the long post.

Hi, A few questions...

First question. You can use speaker grill mesh. I have seen several people take old throw away speakers and take off the black mesh and hammer it flat with a rubber mallet. You can also use the thicker plastic mesh for the bigger car speaker types. Either that or it is rather easty to paint regular metal mesh black. Your choice buy you do have lots of options.

Second. For plastic lots of people suggest The Krylon paint that is made for plastics. I can't remeber the name off hand but I hear it works ok. You might want to slightly sand and clean it before hand in any case. I like to use Vinyl dye that you can buy at Auto Parts stores. This doesn't really paint the plastic so much as stain it. It works very well and is durable. The only problem is it only comes in limited colors.

Third. Either would take just as much work. I am assuming that your case is probably an old steel beige case and cutting that panel would take some work. Most people would prefer to cut a design into the side panel. Adding a piece of plex looks good to but I wouldn't secure it with Hinges. Maybe have it stud mounted or with some ingenious screw mounted method. I have seen a case done this way before and it looked really nice. While you are vinyl dying you could do a design on the plex.

Thats all the time I have to answer questions right now. If you have any more just let us know. I'm sure someone will jump in here to elaborate or with better suggestions. Good luck.

Hi, A few questions...

Thanks for the reply. I have another question.

I was wondering about cooling fans, I only have one fan (other than the one on my cpu and psu :P) and my pc is a bit heated (cpu temp at 53c average) But I only have one fan power connecter on this motherboard! so I was wondering if there is any adapers or something that can use one of the power cables from the psu to power extra fans, or do I have to get a new mobo before adding more fans?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, A few questions...

Sure. Most fans come with a 4-pin fan tail adapter but if they dont you can get them here..

I would recommend having more than one fan in the case. Probably at bare.minimum one blowing in and one blowing out. Depending on your air flow and the size of the fan. They should sell fans at the link above, and tell you if they come with adapters.

Hi, A few questions...

start simple . you cut the side panal to use an piece of plexi glass in it . as for paint you can use any type of paint to paint your case . just as long as its prepped properly ( sanded and primered ) . for fans as Sheldog stated they do make adapters from 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan connectors . amount of fans greatly depends on how hot your house is i am currently using 7 80 mm fans on the case 2 topside , 3 on my rad ( in front ) 2 up top . more fans doesnt mean better cooling or better airflow ( case dependant and out side air dependant ) at least as a bare minimum for a case i consider atleast 3-4 case fans 1 front , 1 rear , 1 up top , and maybe 1 on the side panal . just a tip tho try and keep the cfm matched goin in and then goin out ( ie. you got 75 cfm goin in its best to get 75 cfm out ( you can include your psu fan as an out provided it pulls from case to outside ) this way you can control the airflow in the case better ....

Hi, A few questions...

Well about the heat, that is a little warm for a processor to be. But like raptor said its dependent on the temp of the room. Since your using the air from the room to cool it, in theory the lowest the temp could go air cooled would be room temperature. Also, sometimes a processor just runs hot, especially the new ones, p4 and some of the top line amd's. But I assure you 53c isnt dangerous but your processor might do better and last longer if you cooled it a bit. Maybe when your cutting holes on your side panel, cut one for a fan right over the cpu or inbetween the cpu and gpu so you can get some fresh air on both of them. I personally went ahead and cut 2 blowholes in the top of my case with a hole saw when i had my computer apart last (yeah, its an overdone mod but its one that will always look way cool and be effective) it just makes sense, hot air rises, fans just help it get out a little better Good luck

Hi, A few questions...

Well about the heat, that is a little warm for a processor to be. But like raptor said its dependent on the temp of the room. Since your using the air from the room to cool it, in theory the lowest the temp could go air cooled would be room temperature. Also, sometimes a processor just runs hot, especially the new ones, p4 and some of the top line amd's. But I assure you 53c isnt dangerous but your processor might do better and last longer if you cooled it a bit. Maybe when your cutting holes on your side panel, cut one for a fan right over the cpu or inbetween the cpu and gpu so you can get some fresh air on both of them. I personally went ahead and cut 2 blowholes in the top of my case with a hole saw when i had my computer apart last (yeah, its an overdone mod but its one that will always look way cool and be effective) it just makes sense, hot air rises, fans just help it get out a little better Good luck
    Thanks. It was part of my plan to put one (or two) fans on the side panel, I'm also considering putting a engine fan (from a car) in there! I'm trying to find one thats about 10" - 12" and then either controlling the speed of it with a controller, or taking out the motor to it and connecting a standard computer fan motor to it but if I can't get a large fan I'm gonna put 2x140mm fans on there instead. I'm also gonna try and fit 2 fans on the front, one on the top and one on the back.

I wouldn't mind if I had a large fan on the side that only moved about 100rpm or even 60rpm, I'd use some UV paints on it or have some lights to make it look good. I wouldn't be able to use it if it was going at 2600rpm or my computer might start to fly around the room! The first task is finding one, It might be a good idea to goto a car dump.

Hi, A few questions...

Thanks. It was part of my plan to put one (or two) fans on the side panel, I'm also considering putting a engine fan (from a car) in there! I'm trying to find one thats about 10" - 12" and then either controlling the speed of it with a controller, or taking out the motor to it and connecting a standard computer fan motor to it but if I can't get a large fan I'm gonna put 2x140mm fans on there instead. I'm also gonna try and fit 2 fans on the front, one on the top and one on the back.
    Make sure you use a fan grill or some mesh, dont want anyone loosing fingers or other apendages

Hi, A few questions...

Ok, I'm back again with yet another question, I have actually found something in my house which wasn't being used for much, and i thought it would make a great shell for my computer case, a picture of what I'm going to be using is below:

(I wouldn't keep the drawers in it, they would be removed and the mesh on them used for something else on the mod)

My question might seem like a bit of a silly question, but would it be ok to have the motherboard upside down? I want to have it placed horizontally in the case but I wanted it raised 5 inches from the bottom, with two fans on the bottom blowing onto it, but two fans blowing onto the back of it seems like a bit of a waste, and I want them on the bottom of the case so that the air flows upwards to the top where I'm going to have two fans extracting the air.

I'm thinking myself that the power cable is going to have a job reaching down (I plan to have the PSU about 5" down from the top), and also that it might cause something to happen to the cpu.

The other options would be to have either a horizontal bar above the motherboard with the two fans facing down onto the board, or, to make two blocks by sawing two cube blocks of wood in half from one edge to the other to make triangle blocks, putting them flush with a side of the case and then putting the fans on them ( the fans would then be facing the motherboard at an angle instead of direct, but should have a good effect and should also look real nice.)

Hi, A few questions...

putting a motherboard upside down is fine, ive accidently run a computer on its side, with the motherboard facing down for about a month and nothing happned to it. Id imagine anything in a computer except maybe the cd drive (because that would get tricky loading a cd) could go upside down without any problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information