Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wonder Woman Case - Final Pics

Wonder Woman Case - Final Pics

I have started another mod but this time....it's for my wife.

Lately I've been hearing her grumble about having to use my 7 year old Dell desktop when I have all these cool computers sitting around. She has always been a huge fan of Wonder Woman so I thought that could be something I could use as a theme build for her.

I've done my planning on design and paint and so now it's time to get moving.

The first thing to do was find the perfect case.

I can picture things in my head before they are ever started so I know just what I'm looking for. And after 4 hours of scouring the web I found it!

It's the NZXT Lexa S.

It has the perfect shape for what I need. You'll see why later but here is a pic -

This build will require some air brushing skills that I don't have so I will be contracting that part out. I have contacted Steve Nunez for the work. He seemed really interested to work on this and liked my ideas. If you look at his work you might want to prop up your jaw so it doesn't hit the floor. There are no words great enough to explain his work.

I have been gathering up art work that will be used (sort of) for the side and front panels. Here are a couple shots that I might have him work from.

I'll have to prep the case to make it ready. It came with a texture that needs to be smoothed out so it looks like I need to repaint it.

More to follow-

Linda Carter... she was from Arizona. I think I even got an autographed photo from her when I was a kid.

I think the one kneeling down would be cool and of course you need to have the bullet sparks bouncing of the wrist bands.

That artist, Nunez, is amazing! I can't wait to see what he puts on this thing.
    It's funny, I've seen this case before and thought "Wonder Woman". It must be the triangular points on the front.

That artist, Nunez, is amazing! I can't wait to see what he puts on this thing.
    It's funny, I've seen this case before and thought "Wonder Woman". It must be the triangular points on the front.
    Exactly the reason I bought this particular case. 8-)

Steve will definitely do an amazing job.

I got a chance to shoot the primer tonight. It didn't lay down as flat as usual so I'm guessing it's a little older than I thought it was. Not a problem because it gets sanded anyway before the paint goes on.

I shot a fairly heavy coat on. It will let me sand it without cutting through.

Since this paint job alone is going to break the bank I will be looking for sponsors to help out on hardware. I'm torn because of course I want to use the coolest thing out there but on the other hand, all my wife plays is Peggle and Bejeweled. :roll:

I worked a little more on the painting today.

I wet sanded the primer. You can see in the picture that the primer wasn't perfectly smooth. It's thick epoxy and it was a little old. You can see where its starting to cut through and flatten it out.

Once it's perfectly flat all the darker spots will be light gray like the rest of the area. One thing you try to avoid when wet-sanding is cutting into the bare metal like this -

It's easy to spot repair with some primer and sand back down though.

After cleaning it really good and wiping it down with a tack cloth I sprayed the first heavy coat. It looks better already!

After 3 full wet coats it was done. And it looks way better than the rough texture.

Then I noticed this little beauty -

A nasty sag/run from getting a little too impatient between coats. It may look disastrous but once it dries I will show you how to fix things like this and it will look like it never happened. .... I hope.

Here is the side that will get the large mural. It has a little orange peel but once I wet sand it and buff it out it will look like a mirror.

It has to cure for a while first, so until then, thx for watching.

Oh that's gonna look fantastic!!

... She's going to have puppies when she sees it :-D

Oh that's gonna look fantastic!!

... She's going to have puppies when she sees it :-D
    Lol...

We already have puppies right now.... 6 of them.

Paint update time -

So it cured long enough that I can get back to work on it.

The first thing I need to do is take care of that run. It requires a LOT of patience which is something I don't have and ironically is what made the run in the first place. :evil:

There is a special tool for removing runs like this ....a new razor blade.

I use it to scrape the bad part off. Very very carefully hold the blade straight up and down and drag it towards you taking off little shavings.

So keep doing this until you see and feel the bad spot disappear and it feels smooth. It will be ready for sanding at this point. Pretty easy huh?

It works great until you tilt the blade a little off and then you leave a gouge like this --

^^^^ THIS = VERY BAD ops: Except that I put a lot of paint on so I might be able to save it!

Time for some sanding. I started with 800 grit just on the spots I scraped down. Follow that with 1000, 1500, and finally 2000.

Not sure if the gouge is going to come out..only one way to find out....keep sanding...

I started on the other side panel and this shows what a few passes with 1000 grit will do.

It looks like I'm ruining the paint but this is what you have to go through for that showroom shine.

You will quickly see any tiny imperfections like a speck of dust or a bug that flew in. They sand out really easy so don't panic.

Here is a critical step when sanding and buffing. You need to protect edges. Put some tape along the edge about 1/8" in so that when you sand of buff you don't take too much off. Edges will cut through really easy.

Here is the side panel after a 1500 grit rub down.

And after a 2000 grit rub down. It looks like a foggy paint at this point.

And after I hit it with a soft cloth and a little dab of rubbing compound you can see the finish it will have. I'll be using a small power buffer to make it a lot faster. And the end result will be a mirror finish.

Oh, remember that little gouge I had to sand out? Turns out it was a little deeper than I hoped so I sanded through to the primer. Notice the small grayish round spot? :roll:

Ya, that one!! Now I get to repaint the panel. Oh well, stuff happens. :x

wet sanded surfaces look Soooooo cool 8-)

Thanks for the edge tape tip
    ... even knowing that you should be careful to not sand through them , it's almost imposable to not to :cry:

Heh, bet you wont run it this time

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information