Thread: G3 Case Mod

G3 Case Mod

Ok I've started a case mod, but hopefully I'll actually finish this one, because it's already half done, as opposed to my build. I'll probably take the ITX board from it anyway, so there's not much point continuing it (maybe for fun once I've finished this).

I'm modding the case of a PowerMac G3! My friend bought it from someone near him ages ago, and it's suffered some damage . I doubt I'll be able to fix the damage, so I'll probably just cover it up as well as I can. Just now on Skype, though, he said I could keep the case because he's bought a PowerMac G5 to mod (yes, we like modding Mac cases ).

The main part of the mod will be the paintjob. It'll be a fairly basic red and black, but I may decide to get adventurous with my airbrush! 0-0 The rest of the mod will be making the insides useable for a mini ITX PC (or hackintosh) and working out what to do with the ZIP drive slot on the front. Maybe a fan controller, seeing as I have 2 spare 120mm fans and a 80mm fan.

Anyway, time for some... PICTURE MADNESS!

The whole case:

Imagine that the blue bits are red :roll:

For now, it's held together with some high-tech flexible adhesive:

AKA duct tape.

It was on my trampoline, so when I got on to take a pic of the other side this happened:

Oops.

Unfortunately our earlier efforts to remove the logo have left the most noticeable damage :

This is one of my two experimental pieces that fit on the base of the case, and are hard to reach:

I put the gloss clear coat on them a bit too thickly in one coat, and the gloss pooled in one place and produced this:

And finally, my cheap little external mixing airbrush:

It's bad, but it works.

So what I want to know is what to do with that zip drive slot (other than putting a zip drive in :P ) and, as usual, your opinions on it so far.

EDIT: Oh and I need ideas for a name for it!!!

G3 Case Mod

Did u lay a primer down before you painted ?

G3 Case Mod

I did but I probably should have done an extra coat

EDIT: I collected the inside of the case from my friend's house, along with the headphones I left there after the bootfair. Unfortunately I forgot to get the screws so I guess I'll have to wait till school starts after Easter before I can attach the panels to the sides

G3 Case Mod

I've left quite a while to update this, and it's shot right down the page :O
    Just a mini-update today though

There's an odd little front panel circuit board that has a load of components on it. I've left them on so it should still work if anyone has the right connections on their mobo (not very likely :P ) although I did take the molex connector off in case anyone connected it to their power supply by accident in the future

I soldered wires onto the power switch, reset switch and case LED, and led them out through the hole left by the molex connector.

I haven't had much luck with red paint in my airbrush (even after about 5 coats it still looks pink) so I'll buy some rattle cans for the red parts. I also need to buy some metal primer and black spray paint for the inside.

G3 Case Mod

MASSIVE REVIVAL :P

I opened the case up for the first time in a while and took out the lock slider thing

It seems they don't make mobo trays like they used to :O

Maybe Apple thought "Hmmm... Needs more lasers"

Gluing the tabs I broke off back on with some PoundLand epoxy

Then I tried to get the standoffs off. This is where I got stuck.
    First, pliery grippy things

That would have been way too easy.

Then, BRING ON THE MOLE GRIPS!

That didn't work either.
    Then, BRING ON THE HACKSAW to cut a slot for a screwdriver

That, of course, didn't work either.

Then it was time...

To...

Bring out...

No, not the gimp...

The big guns

And of course, that barely dented the surface.

Does anyone have any ideas for removing the standoffs?

G3 Case Mod

suprised you are having so much trouble with those.
    here is what I did with those.
    First place a socket on the back side of the standoff, larger than it of course. This presents the metal from being bent too much and makes the platform stronger while you hammer the living piss out of it on the other side. It worked for me and didn't disfigure the metal.
    Drilling it out should have worked also, until it starts spinning though.
    angle grinder?
    large caliber rifle and some shooting lessons?

G3 Case Mod

I would use a rotary tool with a cut off disk (reinforced disk if possible) to cut them off and then grind them down flush and smooth with another rotary attachment.

G3 Case Mod

I'd like to be able to reuse the standoffs though (I have alternatives if that's not possible, of course)
    My dremel broke a few months ago (A brush went odd) and my dad got a refund instead of a replacement And now he won't buy another one

Thread Information