Thread: dmcgrath Thermaltake Mod Submittal 01

dmcgrath Thermaltake Mod Submittal 01

I've been wanting to go full Steampunk on something ever since I found out what Steampunk was, and this will work nicely.

I had a hard time coming up with anything I wanted to change on this case (not to blow smoke here, but it's a hard case to improve on). So I figured I'd keep with the basic aesthetics and straightforward functionality of the original designs, and just kick it in the rear.

I want to combine real copper and brass sheeting, rivets, and pipes, fittings, etc. with copper and metal plated pieces of the original case.

I really want to keep the buttons in the original places (unless I got a case and decided they could be better served placed elsewhere, of course). I even liked the idea of turn out feet, which I would probably custom cast from brass/bronze/aluminum to fit the original mounting area.

And replace those fancy new style locks with old school Skeleton key locks, naturally.

And of course, Thermaltake's Logo on the window, done in a stained glass motif. I'm thinking something like roses and the thorned stems in there twisting around. Plus some more colors. Could be pretty cool.

I've already had practice with two of the techniques I proposed and am pretty confident it's doable.

_dan

I am quite impressed with this idea. Outside perspective that tends to carry well with many steampunk motif's, perhaps add a clock face on the side panel of the drive bays? (The worst part about having good ideas based on other peoples themes, I know some of them totally beat out my own plans and thus will put me slightly farther out of the running for those coveted cases.)

Ah yes. I was going to incorporate some kind of twisting handles design for something. maybe just a nice little mother of pearl handle for the louvered fan on the side. But I definitely had in mind some kind of dial, gauge set-up for it as well. Not sure, mod it for showing water cooling temperature or something like that. I have been working on other views of the case, but I'm also brainstorming another idea ( I think at least one more should pop out soon).

I must mirror the original reply to this.

This is really an insane design and I like the unique direction you are taking this.

This is the kind of out of the box thinking that keeps this hobby moving forward! Excellent work!

Thread Information