Thread: Thermaltake mod submission #1 - BS Mods

Thermaltake mod submission #1 - BS Mods

I have a design finally. I am horrible with Photoshop so it may take some imagination here. I can see things in my head clearly when I design mods but it is difficult for me to put them on paper for some reason.
    I can work with Sketchup a little but since there is no model for this case available I am resorting to MS Paint..lol

Also, I can be much more creative once I have something in front of me to play with and take apart, etc.

Here is an image with descriptions of what I would do. I'll try a little Photoshop but this is all I got for now.

I like to see cases that are smooth and clean. This design I came up with is basically smoothing out the left side except for the hot swap area. I would use tinted acrylic to make a new door. Then the area on the front upper left of the case where the headphone hanger goes would also be smoothed out with the same acrylic to match the door. But I would add some customizations there that would be the Thermaltake logo and possibly do some trick back lighting to it.

For the top and down the front I would use a single piece of acrylic that would be milled with the same ribs as the handle has and run it the same direction so that it would match. I would stop it at the top of the hot swap bay. I would have slits cut into the groove areas that would be hidden so that it would have great ventilation.

For the color scheme and materials, I have 3 options I could go with -

1. Keep it all black using black acrylic sheeting to mill the ribs. Tinted acrylic window that is see through once lights are on.

2. Use aluminum plate for the ribbed areas and do a brushed look. Use the tinted acrylic for the window area. Black and brushed aluminum look sweet together.

3. Paint the whole case a bad ass Thermaltake orange with maybe a little pearl for some bling. The tinted acrylic would still look great with this.

Nice ideas Bob. The thing that makes this case so challenging is its asymmetrical design. Sounds like from your description that you will attempt to bring some symmetry back in?

I made up a basic Sketchup model of this case last night that you can have. It's just the outer shape (no internals), but it's something to work with. I'll post it up tonight when I get home.

This is awesome to see the modders helping eachother work on their ideas.

Good job guys

I cant wait to see when the build logs start.... its getting close.

Nice ideas Bob. The thing that makes this case so challenging is its asymmetrical design. Sounds like from your description that you will attempt to bring some symmetry back in?

I made up a basic Sketchup model of this case last night that you can have. It's just the outer shape (no internals), but it's something to work with. I'll post it up tonight when I get home.
    Sweet! Thx dude.

You are right about bringing some symmetry back to it. My OCD pushes me to make it flow.

I think Rod and I both could use the model for sure. And about a gazillion other people. :P

Posted a link to the Sketchup model HERE so anyone can grab it.

Thx to Bod for the model!

I was able to do a little more on the concept.

This one would be high gloss black. The design is a streamlined approach. To me it looks like something Tt would produce possibly. The ribs remind me of valve covers from some old muscle cars and so I thought it could tie into the "GT" in some strange way.

The hot swap bays are something that jump out in the design and gives the owner big bragging rights these days so I would leave those alone. They look super cool as it is.

I would make mounts for hidden drives to keep the flow of the case

The door would be made from .250 acrylic that is tinted enough to be black when powered off but will show off the insides when the lights are kicked on.

I would have the Tt logo or full name engraved onto the window as well.

8-)

Thread Information