Thread: Okay last one, I promise, Thermaltake Mod (03) by dmcgrath

Okay last one, I promise, Thermaltake Mod (03) by dmcgrath

I really got this idea while browsing the net for new sculpting ideas. I found something called "balsa foam". its very hard but very sculpt-able foam, that has a higher burn point than other foams. It cannot be melted but pretty much any other sculpting tool can be used to great effect.

The quick pic says it all. Well, most of it anyway.

the majority of the time would be spent in the sculpting application of this. You can go buck wild with the detail on Mayan style sculpting; it can appear haphazard and almost not seem to correlate but somehow the overall effect fits together.

Not shown - the other side of the case, a FULL side pic of the Mayan Calendar, but with "Tt" logo instead of Sun god face guy in the center (not blasphemy, I promise!).

Also a proliferation of vines (over the fans mainly to hide them but not kill the airflow), and lichen, and creative weathering to make it look jungle bound.

In this case, the cool feet would probably be turned out for stability and built upon, I envision a 3 step dais look to the base of it. (Part of that would help access to the release mechanism.)

As I look at it before submitting, I may change the release mechanism area just to a pile of rubble, and give at least a finger's sized access to that area.

Haha! Man, now I want to build them all!

So i see where this is going...and the first thing that popped into my head was "Legends of the Hidden Temple" (that old awesome gameshow from Nickelodeon back in the 90's before they started showing terrible shows).

And my only suggestion/pleading is: if you do this case mod, I implore...no DEMAND...okay maybe not demand....but would love to see that the 3.5 disks bays be covered with a OLMEC head with Red LED's behind the Eye's and that the CD/DVD drive be olmec's mouth. Eject a CD and the eye's light up!

Well, I haven't gotten to the front yet. That's the mystery so far to me.
    I really want to stick with the 5 access bays they provide in the front. As well as all the buttons, USB ports, etc allowing for full access still.

And time/money is a factor too, I doubt I'll do anything so complex as a customized light up job with all the sculpting I'd need to do. Sorry, Aphar.

Here's the logo on the right side in the calendar like I mentioned.

I've been doing diorama modeling since a very young age as well. They make great moss products that you can stick all over this thing (especially on the logo itself to make it pop). As for the vines and leaves etc, that might be done by hand, but craft stores can always surprise you too (yarn maybe).

Hi dmc, let me tell you something... A M A Z I N G !!!! hahaha! OMG!!!

Good luck in the contest!

Thread Information