Just a little show off of my first attempt at making a computer from scratch. Turns out it's harder than it looks, especially if you are using only acrylic and home tools.
It's a great plan;
To compartmentalize the components, cutting down on airflow direction changes, cross heat contamination, thus optimizing heat dissipation.
Tools used were; a hand acrylic cutter, a hand saw (puzzle saw, jigsaw, something like that) ans well as a bench sander, I put a couple Dremel sanding drums on the shaft they fit perfectly. It helped with grinding edges, making smooth corners. I also used a Heat Gun and some wood jigs with clams and screws to secure the pieces in place as I was bending them and gluing them. But the best home item was my heat bar. Really just a cheapo hot plate from a local store that I bent the element out on it to make it relatively straight. **
**I really can't condone doing what I did, it was pretty dangerous, and if I was to ever do this scratch mod for a second attempt, I think I'd just have the guys at the local TAP Plastics shop do those bits for me.
I apologize in advance for the fingerprints.
As you can see it's a mostly failure.
But it did last me for a long time while I built the Gothic Church Mod.
Due to the nature of acrylic, brittle when you mess with it, strong as hell if you leave it alone; I broke the upper container when I was drilling it. So... I never made another one. I never used the DVD drive much anyway.
Just a little fun for you, they aren't always going to be gems. But at least I learned some things along the way.
Thanks for lookin!