Thread: When modding goes awry. Acrylic scratch build

When modding goes awry. Acrylic scratch build

Just a little show off of my first attempt at making a computer from scratch. Turns out it's harder than it looks, especially if you are using only acrylic and home tools.

It's a great plan;

To compartmentalize the components, cutting down on airflow direction changes, cross heat contamination, thus optimizing heat dissipation.

Tools used were; a hand acrylic cutter, a hand saw (puzzle saw, jigsaw, something like that) ans well as a bench sander, I put a couple Dremel sanding drums on the shaft they fit perfectly. It helped with grinding edges, making smooth corners. I also used a Heat Gun and some wood jigs with clams and screws to secure the pieces in place as I was bending them and gluing them. But the best home item was my heat bar. Really just a cheapo hot plate from a local store that I bent the element out on it to make it relatively straight. **

**I really can't condone doing what I did, it was pretty dangerous, and if I was to ever do this scratch mod for a second attempt, I think I'd just have the guys at the local TAP Plastics shop do those bits for me.

I apologize in advance for the fingerprints.

As you can see it's a mostly
    failure.
    But it did last me for a long time while I built the Gothic Church Mod.

Due to the nature of acrylic, brittle when you mess with it, strong as hell if you leave it alone; I broke the upper container when I was drilling it. So... I never made another one. I never used the DVD drive much anyway.

Just a little fun for you, they aren't always going to be gems. But at least I learned some things along the way.

Thanks for lookin!

When modding goes awry. Acrylic scratch build

... they aren't always going to be gems. But at least I learned some things along the way.
    That is of the most important things to remember! What you did and learned from that you can use for you next idea or mod.

Thread Information