Thread: Painting question

Painting question

Alright well after scouring the internet for painting and mod guides, I'm pretty much set with my base idea for the build I'll be starting tomorrow. But despite all the research I haven't really found an answer to an issue in the design.

Normally when doing an paint job its:

Prep
    Sand
    Primer
    Sand/Wet Sand
    Base Coat
    Sand/Wet Sand/Polish

But what I can't quite figure out is: "What do you do when you want to add a design onto the base coat?" IE: I've got a design I want to put on top of the white base coat in royal blue paint. Should I be able to just lay the design on top of the white base coat, and what prep should be done on the base coat in order paint the design on it?

Edit: I think I may have found the solution after a bit more reading/searching:

Prep
    Sand
    Primer
    Sand/Wet Sand
    Base Coat
    Design Coat
    Clear Coat
    Sand/Wet Sand/Polish

Still not sure if this is the appropriate method...and still seeking advice on this.

Painting question

Basically the question is: What is the appropriate method/procedure for painting a design on a case over a fresh base coat?

Painting question

something I just did for CPU Mag

http://www.computerpoweruser.com/DigitalIssues/ComputerPowerUser/CP____1108__/files/68.html

As long as you do not wax or put a clear coat on the base coat you can paint on it. Just make sure it is dry and free of dust.

Painting question

And make sure you are using compatible paints with each other..... unless you like a krinkle finish.

Painting question

should be fine all the paint i'm using is Rust-oleum. So the process is basically the same I should wet sand the base and the design coat and then apply the clear coat, wet sand again and then apply the rubbing compound.

So:

Prep/Sand
    Primer
    320 Sand/400 Grit Wet Sand
    Base Coat
    1000/1500/2000 Wet Sand
    Design Coat
    1000/1500/2000 Wet Sand
    Clear Coat
    1000/1500/2000 Wet Sand
    Rubbing Compound

Painting question

Yep!!

If you are going to use to different types of paint it is a MUST to test them with each other. Nothing sucks more than having hours of work into paint job and having the final color have a bad reaction with the other colors, this means a do over.

Painting question

I don't think it is necessary to go all the way to 2000 grit on the base/design coats. I think it would be safe to just do one pass of wet-sanding with 600 grit in between coats to smooth it down. Then after the clear coat you can do the final sanding steps up to 2000, followed by rubbing/polishing compounds.

Thread Information