Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boddaker - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - COD MW3

Boddaker - Thermaltake Level 10 GT - COD MW3

Guess I should get going on my worklog as well. To start off, I'm just reposting my concept from the contest submittal thread:

When I saw this contest involving the Level 10 GT, I knew it would be a challenge to come up with an idea that would transform this unique case into something different. I ultimately settled on a military theme, even though it has been done a few times before. I'm hoping I can put a fresh twist on it and be able to show something new. Hence my specific focus on Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 3.

After studying the case and its features, I decided to play off its compartmentalized design, with each section serving a different purpose: Ammo box, first aid kit, mini gun with ammo belt. Here's a quick photoshopped image of my concept:

I thought the dummy rounds would make great covers for the removable drives, and the right side would be a perfect place for a COD vinyl graphic. For the case feet, I threw in some claymore mines, in keeping with the theme. An AT-4 anti-tank rocket launcher disquises the top handle quite nicely too. ;-)

If time allows, it would be cool to motorize the minigun barrel for that extra bit of wow factor.

I'm still thinking about some internal mods as well, but this is all I have so far.

I'll be picking up some materials this weekend to start working on the AT-4 and chain gun. Also sourcing out the first aid kit and ammo box, and other military paraphernalia. There is an army surplus store nearby that I can check out first, but if they don't have what I'm looking for, I know of some online places.

I'll be picking up some materials this weekend to start working on the AT-4 and chain gun. Also sourcing out the first aid kit and ammo box, and other military paraphernalia. There is an army surplus store nearby that I can check out first, but if they don't have what I'm looking for, I know of some online places.
    Hey I have some military surplus stores up here I could find you some stuff. What do you need? pm me if you want.

Ok, finally a progress report, with actual progress!

I'll refrain from showing pictures of the case arrival and unwrapping, since that was so diligently covered already in the other workogs. ;-)

First thing I'm going to do is work on the forward minigun. I started off making the two round barrel holders out of scrap pine. I cut two 6" diameter circles and chamfered the edges. Then I set about marking six 1" holes evenly spaced around the circle, and drilled them out with a spade bit, clamping both pieces in the vise to ensure uniformity.

I had drilled a hole in the centers and bolted them together to make sure they didn't move during all the hole drilling. This also enabled me to fix the pieces in my drill press and sand the edges to a perfect roundness.

Once the center bolt was no longer needed, I took my 2" hole saw bit and drilled out the center.

Next up is the 6 barrels. For these I'm using basic schedule 40 PVC pipe. I cut six 12" pieces and rounded the ends a bit.

Stuck them through all the holes, spaced the holders out a bit and there you have it.

Test fitting the barrel assembly into the case. It's a snug fit, but I'll be removing the hard drive mounting surfaces later so I'm not too concerned there.

Trying different depths to see where it looks best. Don't want the minigun protruding out too far.

Next I'll be making a back plate to secure the barrels, and mounting it into the case.

About time.... I was starting to wonder. :P

Oh wait. I think I'm supposed to be working on one too!

Gotta go. 8O

Gotta go. 8O
    lol me too

nice it's coming together it's about time

Gotta go. 8O
    lol me too

nice it's coming together it's about time
    Damn it, all of you! Get crackin'! I need my modding updates or it's back to being productive. And we voted for you guys we wouldn't have to be productive.

------------------------------------------

Boddaker - what are you planning to use to animate the chaingun?

Haha I'm fortunate to have guys like you to keep me on track and making progress. :P

I tore down the case last night and removed the hard drive cage so I could work out mounting logistics for the minigun. Will post pics of that in my next tangible update. In the meantime, I have an update to the design. When I came up with the concept, I inadvertently did the same bullet treatment to the removable drive bays that Mods-cases did in his design. Since he submitted his design first, I couldn't in good conscience continue with the same idea. So I sat down and thought about what else I could do for that part. After some noodling, I came up with the idea to use rifle magazines. It fits the theme and will actually be functional as well. I'm going to build magazine extensions onto the ends of the hard drive trays, so you'll be able to pull them out just as you would on a real rifle.

Now THAT is AWESOME!!!

Haha I'm fortunate to have guys like you to keep me on track and making progress. :P

I tore down the case last night and removed the hard drive cage so I could work out mounting logistics for the minigun. Will post pics of that in my next tangible update. In the meantime, I have an update to the design. When I came up with the concept, I inadvertently did the same bullet treatment to the removable drive bays that Mods-cases did in his design. Since he submitted his design first, I couldn't in good conscience continue with the same idea. So I sat down and thought about what else I could do for that part. After some noodling, I came up with the idea to use rifle magazines. It fits the theme and will actually be functional as well. I'm going to build magazine extensions onto the ends of the hard drive trays, so you'll be able to pull them out just as you would on a real rifle.

I really appreciate that you mention about my idea and your i idea is very good and we can share the idea of the bullet

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information