Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BS Mods (BOBDBONE)- Thermaltake Level 10 GT/SS

BS Mods (BOBDBONE)- Thermaltake Level 10 GT/SS

I have the case, my tools are ready, and it's time for action!

I have renamed the case the "Level 10 GT/SS". The SS is for "Super Sleek". All the bumps will be shaved down to make a much smoother, cleaner looking case. Usually we take a smooth case and change it to something crazy, but I will be doing the opposite. I will use the look of the handle with the ribs and duplicate it on the top and front. The side door area will be smooth.

Here is the original concept that was voted in -

The finished result should be very, very close to this but a lot nicer of course.

First things first, I need to get it out of the box.

Yay it's here!

And my puppy Truman wants to know if it's his new dog house.

This thing is big and bad. (In a good way) It just feels solid. Comes with it's own soft cover too.

It's still in 1 piece right here....

There is a LOT of room in these. It's a very well thought out design. Tons of wire management options and cooling options too. The door opens to reveal everything and give you lots of room for installs.

The door locks via these little spring loaded studs. They have a groove in them that drops down into a pocket cut into the door.

And the fan in the door is powered by using a nice contact that works when the door is closed.

I have to get a good idea of what I'll be working with so it's time to tear it all apart and see how the panels fit together. I immediately realized I was going to run into a couple obstacles on my design. Just obstacles, not road blocks. I'll figure it out.

I'll say it again....This case is extremely well built! Everything fits properly, has tons of space, holes everywhere for wiring or cooling, and even stripped down it still feels solid.

I have torn into quite a few cases and this one really has me impressed. I almost feel bad tearing it apart...almost.
    :P

I will be deciding where to make cuts and start mocking up new panels next.

Yay! The start of the Worklog! *grabs a bowl of popcorn and watches the show*

It is a rather large case aint it :-). .... Grrr, GULP, ... "anyone seen Truman lately?"

Small update.

I started sanding on the individual pieces to prep them for paint. Since they are plastic and textured they need sanded smooth. I have started on the handle and hot swap s4ections since these will take the most time and patience.

So it's a boring update but it's a start of what I have going on.

The more I look at this case the more ideas I get but I need to keep it to the original plan. :?

Here are some pics that I shot before and after sanding...

You can see the rough texture-

and after sanding with 120 grit-

Getting in between these ribs is going to be a challenge-

The under side of the handle had some little ribs for extra grip but they are going bye bye too.-

Sorry but this is the boring part.

It may be boring, but it can be therapeutic as well! I find the soothing whirring sounds of the orbital sander drowns out the screaming kids lol.

Huge Update!!!

I'm still sanding parts . . . . . . .

:roll:

Huge Update!!!

rofl!

Huge Update!!!

Pics, or it didn't happen.

Huge Update!!!

Pics, or it didn't happen.
    What he said ^^^ :P

Lol guys.. sorry but I had to. :lol:

All this sanding has made me crazy. I didn't realize how many curves and tight spaces my big fingers would have to fit into.

I have proof!!

Sanding plastic is never fun. There are quite a few different types of plastic and they all react differently when you work with them. Some have more release agents in them than others making it even harder.

I have been hand sanding this thing and now I can go rob a bank because I have no fingerprints left. :P

I have flamed the parts once and wiped them all down with alcohol to remove the release agent but I may do it again once I'm done sanding.

It wouldn't take quite so long but since it will be mirror black the prep is critical. Once the sanding is complete, I will be using a adhesion promoter, then a thick primer to fill voids, and then I get to sand it all a couple more times... yay...I mean ..argh.

While I was sanding I started looking at it more and thought I should spice it up a little. So I noticed the area where you mount the optical drives had a nice little recess and thought a mirror with "something" on it would look cool if it was lit up and you could see it through the door. More on this later...

I cut a piece of mirrored acrylic and will be doing "something" with it later. :wink:

I have to go out of town all next week so I will be hustling to get a lot done this week. So more updates soon!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information