Thread: Return the bundle?

Return the bundle?

Today my dad and I bought a motherboard and processor bundle from Currys/PC World. It was an AMD Phenom II X2 and an Asus mobo. When we opened it at home we were shocked to find that the processor had been left loose in the motherboard packaging, and so had moved around. It now had a lot of bent pins.

So my question is: Take it back, and wait for a while for one to come from an online store, or try and unbend the pins?

EDIT: Spent half an hour unbending the pins, and it worked. We bought it to see which part of another mobo+proc setup we had was broken (The Biostar mobo wasn't posting - The Athlon II was fine - not what we thought would happen)

Return the bundle?

Me, I would return it. You never know what might have happen to the CPU besides the bent pins.

I know it sucks to have to wait, but lets say after you straighten the pins out and it works -like you did- and then in a month it craps out. You will be on your way to buy another one.

Return the bundle?

A little late in responding but I would do like AF suggested. There is absolutely no way (bundle/discount or otherwise) why I would settle for crappy packaging that resulted in damaged components.

The pins on your processor will most likely be fine but if later on you decide to try your hand at Overclocking who knows what the results will be?

BioStar, ASrock and ECS are 3 companies I stay away from due to prior experiences, the last one being the worst by far. Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are about the only mobo manufactures I ever consider in a build regardless of the price.

Return the bundle?

Thanks for the advice We took the Asus back in the end on AF's advice, and got a new one from PC World - in that one the CPU had its own box. I suspect that the original one had been returned by someone without the CPU box.

I've had an ASRock mobo that was fine - The Biostar mobo didn't work (but looked cool :P ) and I've never even heard of ECS!

I'd like to stick with Asus, MSI and Gigabyte, but often I just don't have the money (And no way of making money other than making a cheap computer and selling it)

Return the bundle?

Good for you FC. ECS is pretty easy to spot as they're the only mfg left (I believe) who make purple mobos lol. Avoid at all costs despite their low prices.

Of course you have to build according to your budget so just make sure to check out reviews prior to purchasing from say Newegg or any reputable retailer. I always try to see what feedback is given before I make a purchase which has worked out pretty well so far.

I have noticed Biostar using similar to Asus ROG colors .

Thread Information