Thread: Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

Master Modder

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

This is going to be a little history due to how I became a member of MI and how I started my modding. I have said that Cash Box was my first mod. I had plans to mod my main pc and I saw a good deal on LED lit feet, so I purchased them. While I was waiting for them to arrive I decided to put in my blowhole fan. I screwed it up and then my feet arrived and I was still pissed off for screwing up my blowhole fan. Then I decided to do the Smoothwall project which required the modding of a Casio cash register. So I started the modding of Cash Box and signed up on CMG and started posting and after 5 days of posting what I was doing and asking questions on how to do things, CMG won't come up on my computer on the 6th day of working on Cash Box. Then I received a email asking me to join this new web site called Modders-Inc.com. So 5 days later I signed up on MI because I needed a site where I could get answers to my questions and the posting of my modding of CB. So now you know the brief history and now you know why I have started this project before I finished Red Lantern because Black & Blue is my main all around PC. I have had B&B for a little over 3 yrs now. I use it for surfing, my e-mail, burning CD's and DVD's and paying some bills. I had purchased some new feet with blue LED's in them about 4-5 months ago, just before I started Cash Box and it was time to put them on instead of just saying I was going to do it. I had paint the frame of the case red when I first received it because I didn't like the silvergray color that was on it when I opened it the first time. The reason that I used red was because there was a red ccf ring on the fan that was on the side window but it had blue corner post on the front and then later on I had to replace the ps due to it failing one day and then the new ps had a blue LED fan in it. Plus the screwup of my blowhole had a clear plastic grill with a blue LED in it. So now the red frame is out of place. So this mod of B&B is going to be a mod using what ever I have on hand. Don't have the money to buy anything so this is going to be a quick mod. I went down into the basement to see if there was any paint available. I found 1 can of almond color paint and it felt like it was almost full. So I started on painting the frame almond to get rid of the red. I started on the bottom and worked my way up to the top and ran out of paint when I had the last 10% of the frame to finish. So the very top portion is still red while the rest is almond. So it will stay this way until I have the money that can buy all the paint that I need to finish the job but I will still put on my new feet. So for starters I show you what the computer looked like by way of the front, side and the inside before I did anything to it.[img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Now I'll give you some more pics to look at which show the new almond color paint and the new feet. The first two pics will show the new paint with the feet turned in and turned out. Then the last in this group 3 will show the portion of the frame that is still red.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    href="http://server4.pictiger.com/img/442223/computers-and-electronic-gadgets/almond-with-feet-out.php">
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Okay, now with this group of photos showing you where I'm at on the modding of B&B, I will now fill you in on everything that I have done beside the paint and feet. This case is really a lousy case for airflow. I have a pic to show you what it had for airflow. The case came with 1 fan on the side with the window. Since my purchase of this case I have learned a LOT. So now I have to make changes to get the airflow that is needed. One thing that I have learned about is how to put in a blowhole. I learned this after I screwed up my blowhole. It's repairable by way of putting in a window in the top with the fan in the window. This I will do when the money is available. So here is a pic showing the rear of the pc before I did my work on it.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Now with the 2 above pics show the area where a fan goes. I calls for a 60mm fan. I have one and I was using it in that location but have since removed it and using it on a heatsink and fan setup for the computer that I'm using for this posting. Now it shows that it needed cleaning which it got before the new paint. The pics also show four rows of holes down the right side of the back. I have been using tape to plug those holes to get my air to flow thru the case from the 4 front fans to the rear and top for the exhaust. For the rear fan area I removed the section of holes by way of a nibbler. I cut out a small area with the use of wire cutters so that I could get the nibbler in to finish the job. I only have 1 60mm fan which is in use but I do have a adapter for 60mm to a 80mm. So the pics will show the adapter with a grill on.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    After I was finished with the nibbler I used a file to smooth out all of the edges of the fan opening. The nibbler does a nice clean job but the edges still need to be smooth and straight. The last pic shows the area that shows lack of paint and the new opening for the new 80mm fan with the adapter. Now I need a break so I will post this and then get back to tell you about the feet later this evening. So until then, Happy Modding and remember all comments and ideas are welcomed. :idea:

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

good god man, paragraphs... paragraphs. Either way i enjoyed reading it Mod on

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

good god man, paragraphs... paragraphs. Either way i enjoyed reading it Mod on
    if i were you i would get a trademark for Mod On :P. Looks like youve got some cool stuff planned em 3 As with casbox im sure it will be great

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

That would make a catchy website name Modon.com...
    I'm Reserving "Mod On" as mine officially in this post Not sure what I'll do with it...
    Make T-Shirts out of it or something :P

EDIT: Hey em3 I just noticed the PC chasis (wtf i can't remember how to spell it >.&#60 is red yet its called Black & Blue 8O... :P

Master Modder

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

Sometimes my wife tells me that I don't know when to shut up, so I guess it holds true with typing also. Now let me tell you about, never mind. Happy Modding.

Master Modder

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

I'm back to give you the infor for my new feet. I found a deal for some LED lit feet which cost me a huge $7.00USD. I have seen these feet selling any where from $15-20.00. I paid as much for shipping as I did for the product but $14.00 was still a decent price. Here is a pic of the new feet.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    These feet are designed for Thermatake and similar cases. A foot is a 3 pieces unit. Here is a pic of a foot disassembled.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    The center piece in the pic has a hook part that inserts into the hole that the stock foot uses and there is a small hole in the middle section for a small sheetmetal screw to use. So that requires that the base of the case to be marked for drilling out the new hole for the sheetmetal screw. Here is a pic of one corner marked for the new hole.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    That pic also shows a rivet within the mark that is curved. The two rear areas where the new feet are to be attached had rivets that I had to drill out and then redrill a new hole on the other side of the mark. Once I had the rivets drilled out and the new hole drilled, I then pop riveted those areas back together again. Once I had those 2 section finished I was able to start with the installation of the new feet. Here is a pic of the first foot finished.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Once all the holes were drilled the installation of the feet went quickly. These feet are moveable. They are capable to be folded in case you are needing to place the pc back into the box that it came in and back out for the extra stability. Here is a pic of all the feet on and a couple showing the feet in and out with the case up right.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Now to get the front of the case ready for the new fans but that will be a different posting because this is the end of this posting. So remember Happy Modding and all comments and ideas are welcomed. :idea:

Master Modder

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

Todays update will be on the preparation of the front fan area. To start with I had to get all my tools together so that I won't have to go hunting during the process. So the first pic is a shot of the tools used.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    The first thing needed was a hole so that I was able to get the nibbler in and I used my wire cutters to cut out a opening large enough for the nibbler. So here is a pic of said opening.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Once I had the opening then it was just time consuming cutting the opening for the fan. The nibbler does a fine job of cutting out unwanted metal but it isn't a finishing tool. So once I had the fan openings cut, one can see that the finishing tools of choice will be the file. Here is a pic of how well the nibbler does it's job.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    I did comment on how time consuming the nibbler was, it doesn't compare to how much time the filing uses. So here is the pic of the front after I have finished filing and have the fans in for mock-up.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    It seems that I didn't quite get the holes perfectly round but I will still get a much improved intake of air compared to what Raidmax came up with. The purpose of this mod is to get better air flow for improved temperatures. Another modification for improved temps was to make a heatsink for the power mosfets on the mobo. I had some old heatsinks from some old Pentium proc. Took a hacksaw and cutoff what I wanted and used some heat tranfering adhesive to mount the homemade heatsink for the power mosfets. Here is a pic of the finished heatsink.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    It fit just right between the caps on the mobo. When I bought my proc I also bought the heatsink at the same time. I really didn't think about clearance of parts on the mobo, so when I received my heatsink I found that the heatsink and fan on the chipset was in the way of putting on the proc heatsink and fan. So I trimmed the chipset fan housing slightly and here are a few pics of that mod.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    The last pic was a little fuzzy but you can still see how close it is. So that is the end of this mornings update, so remember that all comments and ideas are welcomed. So Happy Modding and I'll get back to you again later. :idea:

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

looking good man i fully understand you about the nibbler and filing time (apart from the mess of those small metal bits)

i'm looking forward for the incoming updates

Master Modder

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

For todays update is the choosing and installation of parts. This time around I decided not to put the floppy drive in but in it's place I will put a card reader since I own a digital camera and moviecam. Also I had a storage drawer with a DVD burner and this time I'll use the DVD burner and replace the drawer with a fan controller and I bet some of you can tell me that I had a fan controller in the begining. Yes I did but it was a manual control unit. By that I mean that I could control the fan speed by turning a knob. This one that I have to replace is controlled by temperature and it turns a fan on or off, no in between. So to start with I'll show a pic of the front of the case before I started putting things in.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    As you can see it's a nice clean looking case. On the two front corners is a piece of solid transparent rod with bubbles all thru it. At each end of the rods are blue LED's so when power is turned on I have two blue columns that look nice. They aren't to bright but enough so to be seen easily. Next inline for pics are the two new additions. The card reader is a little fuzzy, I just couldn't get the thing in focus. Sorry, I tried.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    The next pic is a closeup of the fan controller. It has USB, Firewire, earphone, mic, and a LED readout on the front.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Now with all parts in it still gives a nice clean look to it.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Now for the fun part, wire management. Here's what I have to work with.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    Now this is going to take some time and if you look closely you will see that the IDE cables are not in there. At least they are factory round cable and they are burgundy in color. So I will end this for now due to the large amount of work to do and remember that all comments and ideas are welcomed. Happy Modding. :idea:

Master Modder

Black Blue by EM3 Bilko

This is the last update because I have finished getting all parts in and wired. I hope the wire management meets with everyone's approval. So to get the ball rolling I start with the pics. The first one is showing my wire management.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    I didn't take a side shot to show how the air can get thru the wiring so you'll have to take my word that it has plenty of space for air movement. Now a pic with the pc will sit for the time being.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    As you can see, all lights are working even the fan controller. The controller operates 4 fans, I set when each fan comes on by setting each fan to come on at different temps. It has 2 temp probes that you place anywhere in the case. I have one taped to the top of the HDD and the other taped beside the processor as close as I could get it. Here is a pic of the controller.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    It wasn't the clearest but you can read what it had to show you. Last but not least is a shot of the pc without lights.
    [img]a href=[/img][/img]
    This was just a general cleanup of my main pc and to add a few extra pieces, so it wasn't going to be a long drawn out project. Later sometime I'll get back to finish the inside paint job and that will be when I have the extra money. So until then I hope it was worth the read and remember all comments and ideas are welcomed. Happy Modding. :idea:

Thread Information