Thread: SD PC Mods Contest Build Log

SD PC Mods Contest Build Log

Hello Everyone!

My name is Scott but most people call me Scotty, and I'm going to have a very cool event coming up here at the end of the month. The past couple years I've been hosting small get together's with local PC modders in the San Diego area. Most have all been close friends, or people I knew in the tech / PC building business. I myself have been a PC modder for many years so this year we all got together and thought, why not try and make this a BIG DEAL!?

I'll detail more about the event as it comes closer a bit, but it will be taking place on September 30th - October 2nd in Los Angeles. My wife is in the process of securing a decent venue. We hoped to invite 500 people to the first years event, and to our surprise, we almost tripled that. We basically sold out on the event 2 weeks after promoting for it. At first it was an invite only event and later we would open it up to anyone, and we sold out so quick we weren't able to open the doors. Next year we are going to move to a bigger venue and won't be doing an invite only event. Anyone that wants to come it welcome!! I will say that a good amount of the people are family, friends, friends of friends, business partners, and local modders. I have a good friend of mine that lives in Berlin and he has a group of 50 people coming in from Germany to attend To keep it simple, the event is basically going to be all the local modders and PC builders coming together to show off their work. I've put almost $14,000 of my own money so far into the event (the initial "umpf" to get it started). It's myself and 3 others that are investing and planning the event, and we've all equally split the responsibilities and financials.

The best part of the entire event is there's going to be contest for the "BEST PC BUILD" of the year, the "FUNKIEST PC BUILD" of the year, and "INVENTIVE PERSON" of the year contest. The Inventive contest will basically name the person with the best new idea for a PC mod or build. We have a couple sponsors for the event that will be giving away prizes to the winners of each contest. Just to give you an idea of the ridiculously awesome prizes we're giving away, I'll give you the 2nd prize item for all 3 contests:
    2nd Prize for "Best PC Build" Award - EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC Video Card
    2nd Prize for "Funkiest PC Build" Award - Corsair Dominator 1333MHz (2 x 4GB) RAM

2nd Prize for "Inventive Person"
    Award - NZXT Phantom Full Tower - White or Black PC Case.

... You can imagine what we have in store for FIRST prize winners!! 8-)

I'll be entering into this contest (but unable to win prizes). I've already started creating the case from scratch and I've already purchased the internals for the PC and they are:

Intel Core i5 Sandy Bridge 2500k Processor(I plan to overclock this to 5.0GHz, no compromise)
    EVGA P67 FTW Motherboard
    (x2) SLI'd EVGA GeForce GTX 580's (Overclocking these as far as they will go)

Corsair Dominator (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz RAM (Overclocked to 2133MHz)

ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound Card
    (x2) Mushkin Callisto 128GB SSD's
    (x2) Western Digital VelociRaptor 320GB HD's
    Corsair AX1200W Power Supply

I'll have a KICK ASS
    water cooling system for this PC, and I'm waiting on a sponsorship confirmation.
    I will announce, and detail on all the great equipment they will be providing 8-)

I'll post better pictures with all of the internal goodies inside once the build starts, and once I can get these designs approved for a complete construction. We've already started in the workshop cutting away at the pieces to put this bad boy together. We'll be making some pretty major changes of our own to meet our own requirements and needs, and as not to take credit away from the original designer, the great modder and engineer, MICK designed this PC, and I'm going o turn it into reality. I'm going to put everything I've got into this build, so I hope I make you proud buddy. Again, credit goes to MICK for this amazing case design. I hope I can make this case into something you've always wanted to see!

Hopefully this will be close to the final product...

Shot at 2011-09-12

Hi Scott,

Thank you for posting this!
    I really appreciate people who keep the modding torch lit.
    Even though it is not nearly as popular as it was a few years ago, it
    can be very rewarding!
    Good luck with your event.

Sounds like a great event and a great idea as well. Since I'm on the other coast I won't be able to attend but please post plenty of pics of the event. It's fun to see the participants and their rigs as well as onlookers and the venue itself.

Dooh! I would totally abuse my flight benefits had I known about this slightly earlier. I'm only up in Seattle and my wife works for Alaska Airlines (weeee flight benefits!!!) I just scheduled my last 2 vacation days for the previous weekend. My vacation resets on Oct. 1st so I won't be able to take the time off until the weekend after.

Thanks everyone for the kind words - We're all very excited =)

We're also super stoked that Mick64 was kind enough to let us build his case design and make it into a reality. As far as I'm aware, there have only been a few attempts to create the case and I believe this will be the first time it ever got completed.

A bunch of the parts came into the workshop today so I'll be posting some more pictures asap!!

Thread Information