Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's share how we came up with our ideas for the contest!

Banned

Let's share how we came up with our ideas for the contest!

As the title states, I think it would be a great idea to talk about how we all came up with the ideas for our mod submissions. Our influences, our concepts, etc. Who's with me? I think it's a great idea!

Here is how I do it...
    First I put the object in front of me, be it picture or actual item, then I close my eyes real hard. I mean REAL hard. Then after like 10 seconds i open them and shine a light in my face.
    The illusions i see crosseyed.. that's where i get my ideas.

Oh wait this is for you guys on your keyboard designs.... Nevermind

For me, each design idea is unique in origin.

...but I do admit I'm intrigue in doing completely new and inventive processes and mods. I'm excited about doing some keyboard mods because I want to try some resin casing techniques in making design-stylistic mods while retaining the functionality of a keyboard.

With the Vertigo keyboard I wanted something stark, visually painful and varied in texture on both the keys and framing surfaces.

The Aluminum version was all about making a keyboard that was as smooth as possible and have the lines and edges flow.

My biggest problem is still getting my design sketches up to par with my implementation abilities.

Banned

For me, it starts with looking at my canvas from every angle, in this case: a kb and mouse. For the Optimus Prime mod, I literally had no clue what in the world I was going to do to start off. It took me 3 weeks to muster up the courage to even ask my fiance if I could participate, lol. After she said yes, I went through all the mod stuff I have here at home (which isn't really a lot honestly, most of it's in storage) and sat down for about an hour or so, thinking about all the different things I could make with such limitations.

Finally, I noticed that my main colors to work with were purple, grey, blue and red. Immediately the 2 things that popped into my head were Megatron and Optimus Prime, lol. So I asked my son, "If I were to make a really cool mod for a keyboard and mouse" (at this point his eyes lit up, lol) "would you rather I make Megatron or Optimus Prime?" He paused for a moment, and cracked a huge smile, shouting "Optimus Prime, yay!" lol.

So I took to the intarwebz and started checking out all the awesome features of the best keyboards Tt-e offers currently, and originally I settled on the Meka-G1, as it's the BEST mechanical kb on the planet, with the BEST features available (such as no-ghosting, etc.). I then looked up as many high-res images as I could of the Meka-G1 the Black Element mouse (also the best they have to offer imho), and printed some out. I took a shipping box, an extension cord, a small sheet of clear acrylic and a nightlight, creating a make-shift light box, and I began my tracing process. I spent literally ALL night working on the tracings, and once I finished, took a break to spend some time with my fiance and son, had some food, etc. and back to the computer.

I scanned the pix into the pc at 300dpi, and those files were HUGE, lol, which was PERFECT for me, since a penciled image scans in with all the graininess, etc. exposed. And then began my learning adventure with Gimp, which wasn't easy, and the next morning was the most angering thing I've ever experienced with my computers, any of them I've ever owned. I'd been saving in psd form, and after I'd literally finished the mouse design 100% and saved it, even backed it up... I checked it after picking my fiance up from work and the file was completely destroyed. Over 8 hours of hard work gone, obliterated. Something i didn't know, is that despite having the "option" to use and save as a psd file, Gimp HATES psd's with a firm passion! So I'd thankfully already saved the original line drawing I'd done up in a png file before making any changes, and I began my process once more, and didn't get any sleep at all that day or night. Monster Absolutely Zero was my bff and I was truckin' along with fire in my belly!

I wanted this design to be a combo design, more of an homage than anything, and in doing so, it had to have basic elements of the major versions of it's namesake. So I made it fluid, smooth, and took elements from the original OP cartoon character, and the movie version 1 as well (don't really care much for the movie version 2, orange and yellow don't go well with OP). I also wanted something to "transform" in a way, even if small, and it had to be something never seen before. And so the creative process began on the colorization. I even custom-made the pattern for the red specks by taking a sample from one of my spray paint example pics and repeating it, flipping, rotating, etc., which wasn't super easy, but easier than I thought it would be. I had to make certain things "pop" out at the viewer, and I eventually sparked the idea of what to do for the "transform" part.

The only issue was, none of it really fiot well with the Meka-G1 at all. Despite how much I love the awesomeness of that kb and really wanted (still do, lol) one, it just didn't work with the design at all. So I got to asking questions about the Meka G-Unit, and the Challenger, of which the G-Unit was noted to me that it wouldn't be available at the time needed for this competition, so my best bet was the Challenger ultimate, which is an AWESOME kb in it's own right, and I NEED the backlit keys too, lol, as for now i use a booklight to illuminate my current kb. So I tried my best to find a hi-res pic of the Challenger ultimate, which proved to be a challenge in and of itself, and finally I settled on a few medium-res pics as that's al i could find. Opened up Gimp again, created a new canvas @ the res I was working with before, stretched the best pic I had, and began the grueling 2 1/2 day job of doing the line work. yes, it took that long. Wasn't easy whatsoever.

The colors proved to be a slight challenge, and thus I had settled on 1 design, with 2 slight variances, and decided that if possible, I'd make it inter-changeable in some way, but made no guarantees to myself of such a thing. The "transform" part was the last thing applied in the design, but I'd already decided what it would be. I designed the USB ports in the kb to be re-routed and run through swiveling exhaust pipes, that would serve to not only look cool, but be USB hub connections. I even made it so that the top portion is removable and can fit over any average-sized flash drive or bluetooth dongle, amongst other similar things.

An entire week after I began my journey, I went through all my things once more, and adjusted the design appropriately, did more paint sampling and practice, stretched a LOT, etc., etc. and finally, on the deadline date, I submitted my final images and explanations. Thankfully it was in the am, lol, cuz I had to make a few wording and spelling adjustments before the deadline, and had time to do so. All-in-all, I spent the equivalent of nearly 5 straight days working on this thing, almost non-stop, which spanned over the course of 7 total days (I had to sleep at some point, lol, and literally crashed out on the couch from exhaustion). Anyway, I hope u like my story, and my design, thanks for your support!

Hey Attx,
    Would you be willing to share this info? how you came up with it, how you would do it.
    I would very much like to see this mod done. if perchance you do not get a chance to do this mod, I think I would like to give it a shot. With your permission of course. I simply love this concept.

Hey Attx,
    Would you be willing to share this info? how you came up with it, how you would do it.
    I would very much like to see this mod done. if perchance you do not get a chance to do this mod, I think I would like to give it a shot. With your permission of course. I simply love this concept.
    Hey,
    I'm glad you like my project, I think it's the "Stealth" the one you are talking about, of course if it shouldn't win feel free to make it, I personally prefer the "Red Lightning" which I think I will build anyway together with a case mod.

Yesterday, I already started writing how I came to my projects, in italian (I'm italian), now I'm translating it in english (my english sucks), will post in the evening or tomorrow.

I usually find a person that has a great idea and then I have them explain the whole thing to me so I can write it all down in full detail.

Then I kill them and use their idea.

Done.

I usually find a person that has a great idea and then I have them explain the whole thing to me so I can write it all down in full detail.

Then I kill them and use their idea.

Done.
    That's called the "Hollywood" method.
    It's quite effective.

As for me. All my original ideas come from drawing it first. Even if I have a kernel of an idea in my head, I have to put it on paper somehow/where and then draw around it. Sometimes it's junk, but then other times it works. At least on paper.

Paper for me is still so much faster and easier than GIMP/P-shop.

Banned

This thread was intended specifically for this contest's submissions, lol.

Yesterday, I already started writing how I came to my projects, in italian (I'm italian), now I'm translating it in english (my english sucks), will post in the evening or tomorrow.
    ciao! Capisco un piccolo italiano! Scriva in inglese e italiano. Aiuterò. Dove vivete en Italia? La mia famiglia proviene da Palombaro, Abruzzi.

I know I am very curious on your process for creating the 3D Model. Did you use Google SketchUp or some other program?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information