Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Optimus Prime (KBMouse mod) [DNF]

Banned

Optimus Prime (KBMouse mod) [DNF]

Hello all, my name is Ronald Smith and I am more commonly known as PM_DMNKLR. This is my entry and mod log for my submission into the Thermaltake Ttesports and Modders-Inc keyboard and mouse mod competition, of which it has the (obvious, lol) title of "Optimus Prime".

I'll start off with promoting my sponsor(s) My only sponsor, for the time being, is Bill Owen from MNPCTECH. He was generous enough to toss me some sweet vinyl film! Thanks again, Bill!

Next, I'll post the concept images from my design submission over on my thread @ Modders-Inc

The Challenger Ultimate keyboard:
    (Note that when I made my design, I didn't realize until the end of it, that I'd unknowingly used a reference image from, apparently, a European version of some sort, lol, but my actual mod will be adapted to the US version accordingly, of course)

A slightly different version, of which will most likely not see the light of day (don't have enough film, lol), but I figured maybe someone might like to see the 2 versions i came up with. I like both designs myself

Here's the fan, though I'm still unsure, as I've mentioned before, in the thread on Modders-Inc, as to whether or not I'll actually do it. If I have enough materials, and time, then yes, I'll have at it, but this was clearly noted as a POSSIBILITY with no guarantee, lol.

Here is a picture to explain the function and design of the "exhausts":

And finally, the design for the Black Element mouse:

Stay tuned, there's definitely more to come!

Banned

Ok, so a small update for the time being. I decided it was about time I started working on the antenna that I have, to start getting the parts of the exhaust pipe - usb ports ready, before the Challenger Ultimate and Black Element arrive. We've got 30 days from when they arrive to complete our mods, so I'm trying to do what I can before they arrive, lol. I'm sure I'm not the only one either, so here goes the first update!

First up, some pix just showing the process:

Top.

Bottom, with rubber anti-slide nubs on.

Bottom, close-up, with rubber anti-slide nubs off.

Screws out, shell opened up, revealing the magnetic plate, which is designed for wall/surface-mounting.

Magnet plate re-purposed with a clear twist-tie, and is now a refrigerator magnet

I also re-purposed the nubs to use with my current keyboard, and am so glad I did too, lol.

Magnet plate off, inner wires exposed.

To get these to come out properly, I had to use my razor knife to cut the flex boot that was holding all 3 together, which was a little bit of a pain, but it worked and I didn't screw anything up, thankfully, lol.

Here's 1 of the antenna spires, after I popped off the protective plastic shell.

Next up, the innards disassembled the only way I knew how, lol, and I'll be re-purposing those parts with some other projects later on anyway, so no biggie

Here are the 3 antenna spires' opened up shells, right next to the elbows. I'll try to use as much of these parts as I possibly can.

Finally, the last pic is of 1 of the elbows disassembled. Getting those "pins" out was a royal pain. You wouldn't think it would take so long and so much effort, but it's deceiving, lol.

Sorry for the blurry pic, it just refused to come out any better, I tried like 10+ times, to no avail, all different lighting, etc.

Stay tuned, as there's plenty more coming later on!

Nice man!
    Quick Questions: Do you know what those hieroglyphs mean on the right side of the image? Would it be possible to spell Tt Sports or ThermalTake in what ever "language" that is?

Banned

That's ancient autobot, and on the mouse pic it says "Optimus Prime". On the keyboard pic, above the keys it says "Ttesports" on the left and "PM_DMNKLR" on the right Thanks for watching

nice can't wait till i see it done keep up the good work

Banned

Sorry it's been about a week now guys, we've run into some issues here at home, and I think I might be getting an infection in my jaw thanks to stupid wisdom teeth cutting thru (could just be my body's reaction to them cutting thru tho, idk) but I'll try to update more as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Banned

Well, the good news is, no infection, the bad news: I was coming down with the flu again, and am still in the process of getting over it. I'm not thru the woods just yet, but I'm not letting it keep me down too much either. At least it happened before the stuff came in though, that's a plus. However much time can be bought is however much I'll take, lol.

I was also able to finally make it out to storage again, and got a few old mobos to try my hand at removing some of their USB header pins for use inside the keyboard, as well as a few other items. I'd previously mentioned getting assistance via a "mysterious benefactor", but that has since fallen through, as they had a more personal agenda they'd rather follow through with, and we are no longer acquaintances. Nevertheless, I'll keep seeing what I can do to work around this issue on my own, thank you.

Good news for you, I'm glad that you're not too bad off. We all wait on this with rapt anticipation!

Banned

Thanks Dan

Banned

Got an email from Photobucket stating that I've gone over my allotted 10GB bandwidth limit, which will reset on the 19th, friggin' jagoffs. Anyway, if you've been tryi9ng to get views on my modlogs, please take note of this. Btw, Photobucket sucks for this crap. I'm not paying a bunch of money to "upgrade" to more bandwidth, especially when it appears to be far too easy to have such an issue as this. I might just be switching to Flickr soon. Thanks.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information