I didn't quite get my contest submission in for the KB/Mouse competition.
But, I was approached by Shannon (Tt-Enthusiasts, if you didn't already know, a great guy) who told me nonetheless, they'd be happy to provide me with a KB and mouse of my choice to give a shot at making complimentary pieces for my AzTtec mod.
He sent me the Challenger Pro
And the Standard Black mouse
Both of them I have played with and they are of exceptional quality. It's almost a shame to tear them open and mod them... almost.
He gave me the units quite some time ago and I've only just now been able to start in on them. I think it's all going quite well at the moment though and I should have them done in only a few short days. The idea is to have them available at the CES in Vegas which, as many of us know, is only next month!
Taking it apart was fairly easy. The keys popped right off with my fingers, they do provide you with a key puller, but I just pulled them off by hand anyway, it's a tiny bit faster.
The mouse was a bit tricky, but again it's all just press fit together, you just have to work on the thing to pop it apart.
I did some back cutting on the foam to get it to fit the funky contours of the mouse and the KB parts.
And I did the same thing with the keys, but it's all pretty routine to me by now.
the work is flowing and it's like I never stopped using this stuff.
I had to back cut the keys.
Then separate them from each other after the glue dried.
File and shape them, kind of doing that randomly, I don't want it too polished.
And after patching up any minor errors that comes from doing what I just did 104 times... I set them aside for carving time later.
I also back cut the mouse, it's curves are more pronounced and I'm going back to angular/block style to make another
Quetzalcoatl type head.
***Also I'll drop in some boxing procedure pics of the AzTtec mod. I did use the original box, but heavily modified. ***
My mod does fit, but the front and sides rub on the cardboard so I started by cutting the box down it's corners to "flower" open it so to speak.
Then I could extend the bits apart a couple inches to allot for new packaging foam. This is a combination of original foam bits, saved molded packing foam bits from other things (I don't throw them away), and some soft and easily compressible "furniture" type foam. It all looks and feels pretty tight and secure now. It should arrive in one piece!
I used the pullover idea (it's my old LCD TV cover bag). Thermaltake's cover that came on it originally still fit; but the material gets caught up in the foam, they aren't compatible.
My local UPS store had a box big enough to house the modified Tt box easily, and with room at the top left over.
Plenty of room to fit the keyboard and mouse!
I'll post more tomorrow, I will not be working on it on Christmas, we have guests or something and I need to clean up my mess... oh well, It should be done before the new year anyway. Hopefully before my next project arrives fr me to start on on Tuesday the 27th (haha).
Thanks for looking, and Happy Holidays to all!