Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooler Master Cosmos II - Mod

Cooler Master Cosmos II - Mod

The COSMOS II from:
    is now available, in some places, like... my house, for example.

After some email correspondence with a rep from CM, they decided that one of my ideas had merit enough to continue forward.

I researched the case as much as I could, it is made from mostly aluminum but the only one I had seen was black, and the one at MaximumPC Magazine, for their Dream Machine, was custom painted hot-rod yellow.

But what to do with this amazing piece of work?

As you may know by looking at my other mods, I'm heavily influenced by architecture.
    My Inspiration this time was the Chrysler Building in New York, covered in iconic symbols, the "gargoyle" eagles in particular.

My idea was fairly simple in scope to start with. It honestly was only half-formed.

Doing an Art Deco Themed Eagle wings along the sides of the case was really all I had to go on.
    I did have one trick I wanted to flip though, under each wing shelf I wanted to run a series of lights that would shine downward on to the next wing piece. If that drawing makes sense.

Well, in reality, the case was considerably larger that what I had originally thought. And the doors are a fair amount thicker as well. Which will come in very handy. I want to come up with a nifty plan to use one light inside of the case to light up the wings on the outside.

Arrival on Dec. the 28th.

Shipped up from So. Cal. in this. Boy was it heavy. The UPS delivery guy was really nice about it when he brought it in though.

After cutting away all the tape and plastic wrapping. I realized it was packed very well.

I had been sent an engineering sample, that happened to be sliver, hooray!

It's beautiful, and silver, and BIG. Boy it's BIG!!!!

And pretty heavy as well.

It's got a nice set of controls on a pad up top, and a complete interface bay for all your plug in needs.
    I'll be getting rid of that. Probably just relocating it though, not omitting it completely.

The sliding door is a nice touch too. Two neodymium magnets hold the door in place and it's set up on a friction gear so it doesn't bang down when you break the magnet contact.

The doors on this are super slick and open very easily, they pop right off to get them out of the way for interior access.

The door skins themselves are firmly attached with double-sided adhesive tape. Not too bad to take apart though.

A great little piece of proprietary controls is located under the head of this unit. Hooked to a mini ribbon cable is the touch pad.

While removing the touch pad, it was pretty well secured with double-stick adhesive tape. And my "gentle" prodding and prying became more than it could handle and I broke it. OOPS! Okay that needs replaced. or modded, or something.

The handles, and runners (legs, feet, whatever you call them), are solid metal, very good construction, and well attached to the cage. They are so nice, I might even keep them.

And the cage in it's most skeletal form. I'm almost sure I'm going to leave it completely alone.

Thanks for looking!

Dan

Cool! I can't wait to see what you do with this monster. I still need to figure out what to do with mine. :wink:

Ah man. you guys got Cosmos II to mod... I feel sooo left out :-(

Maybe Lulu did not like the last Comos I modded... ops:

WORKLOG HERE

This should be a kick ass mod worklog to watch!

Your design fits the case perfectly! this should be another awesome project to watch unfold. I love Art Deco Eagles btw...

This is the biggest marketing campaign for one case I've seen to date... I know 5 other modders worldwide who received CMII samples as well. CM planned and executed this brilliantly. It will be interesting to see if other case manufacturers have any new full tower unveils planned for CES, next week. They will surely be eclipsed by the CMII's shadow.

I've seen at least three other Cosmos II worklogs pop up in the last couple days. All great ideas! Will be fun to watch them come to fruition. I got my case as part of last year's contest prize winnings. I was given my choice of full tower case, and the one I picked wasn't available anymore, so I opted to wait for this one. And I'm glad I did! It's got so many possibilities, with room to spare!

I've seen at least three other Cosmos II worklogs pop up in the last couple days. All great ideas! Will be fun to watch them come to fruition. I got my case as part of last year's contest prize winnings. I was given my choice of full tower case, and the one I picked wasn't available anymore, so I opted to wait for this one. And I'm glad I did! It's got so many possibilities, with room to spare!
    Oh wow, you got it as a prize? That's a great thing to wait for. Well worth it.

Oh wow, you got it as a prize? That's a great thing to wait for. Well worth it.
    Looks like I get to join in on the party. Maybe I can get a real Cooler Master rep title if someone points me in the right direction.

Boddaker did the Tron mod that won our Global Case Mod competition. You've received some praise from some very capable modders there. I'm looking forward to seeing this in person later this month.

-------
    Nic
    Cooler Master USA, Inc.

Welcome Nic!

We are happy to see you here and I created a title for you.

We also have a started at Manufactures section where you can post whatever you like and have the community interact directly to you. Just let me know and I make it up for you in a flash.

dmcgrath and Boddaker have both made some kick ass mods that we all have enjoyed looking at and dreamed about owning them :-)

Welcome Nic!

We are happy to see you here and I created a title for you.

We also have a started at Manufactures section where you can post whatever you like and have the community interact directly to you. Just let me know and I make it up for you in a flash.

dmcgrath and Boddaker have both made some kick ass mods that we all have enjoyed looking at and dreamed about owning them :-)
    Thanks for the fast turnaround. I like to expand my presence whenever possible. You can also find me on the EVGA and Hardware Canucks forums as Nic-CM.

I'm definitely interested in modding as I dabble on the side. I've been focused on modding broken or altered antiques to become computer cases. I may eventually work up to the amount of detail that you guys take it to, but for now it's all experimentation.

Should you have any questions related to Cooler Master or feel that your upcoming modding project will need a touch of Cooler Master flavor, shoot me a PM. We're only able to hookup a select few modders here and there, but it surely doesn't hurt to ask.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information