Thread: 4870, Phenom II X2, W7 problems

4870, Phenom II X2, W7 problems

This is posted in this section because the graphics card seems to be where my problems are.

While trying to persuade my dad to buy me a copy of Windows 7 for my current computer, I've been using my friend's [pirated] copy of Windows 7 64-bit, which obviously means no updates. If I can't persuade my dad I'll have to go back to XP 32-bit, which is ok, but I much prefer 7.

It was going fine when I was using the W7 disk from my dad's laptop (Dell OEM disk) until the activation period was up. I didn't want to risk the laptop's copy being deactivated, so I borrowed my friend's cracked CD till I could get a legit copy. Everything worked fine, but I started noticing my framerate in TF2 was dropping periodically to about 1fps, and my ping was going up to about 300 (from 40 or so). It's not my network - every speed test I try gets a consistent 10Mbps download speed, the same as it used to.

I then checked Catalyst Control Centre. There were literally no options I could change for my processor (Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition) or my graphics card (Palit 4870). Graphics Overdrive is apparently turned on, but I can't change any options, and the switch for CPU Overdrive is greyed out. I downloaded AMD Overdrive (the stand-alone program) and it recognises and can tweak my CPU, but completely ignores my GPU - every box in the "GPU status" panel has a grey zero in it.

So, I uninstalled all AMD drivers for my graphics card from Device Manager, and then downloaded the latest ones. Nothing. I downloaded CCC 11.10, to see whether I just had an older version before, and the 4xxx series had stopped being supported in Overdrive. Still no results.

So my question is: What do I need to do to get it working (till I get legit W7)? Do I need to get older drivers, or is there a driver uninstall I missed somewhere, or is the only solution to put XP on here? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds like a bad "Trial Version" ;-) that you got from your friend. I bet it is an old/beta or something version that has been worked around to make it work.

I know people who have been using, uh "Trial Versions" of W7 and have seen no affects even when changing out all the hardware to do reviews and such.

I think that it probably needed a few updates to run the latest version of CCC. On Vista I'm currently downloading the 117 updates I hadn't noticed, so hopefully CCC will work after this. I'll edit this post with my success/failure.

It could also have been the laptop I use as a router, which hadn't been restarted for over a month.

Edit: CCC now opens and graphics overdrive is an option, which hopefully means my lag will be gone

Edit 2: Lag on TF2 is still there, probably due to using my laptop as a wifi card. Need a dedicated one/a powerline adapter. Although it doesn't explain why it suddenly happened

grab a legit CD and install it you can run win7 with out a key or activation for 120 days!

you also might google for methods that allow you to rearm windows to extend the trial.

Hope this helps but in the end just buy a copy of Windows 7

I have OEM (Dell) windows 7 and the trial period was 31 days, so I assumed it was for all versions. If I could buy a legit copy of W7 I would. I'll cope with Vista for now - it's sufficient to run TF2 and F@H

Thread Information