Thread: Mirror/Chrome Case Interior

Mirror/Chrome Case Interior

I want to have the entire interior of my case have a shiny reflective mirror coating to it. What would be the least expensive way to do this? I know there are things like Hydro Chrome which would be $200... Are there any other solutions? I don't care if it's very reflective, but it has to be reflective enough to be called a mirror.

That hydro chrome looks like some cool stuff but over $300 usd for a started is a bit much.

Not sure what effect you are really looking to get but the cheapest way I can think of is using Mirror Reflective Chrome Vinyl

That hydro chrome looks like some cool stuff but over $300 usd for a started is a bit much.

Not sure what effect you are really looking to get but the cheapest way I can think of is using Mirror Reflective Chrome Vinyl
    I want the entire interior including all of the tight spaces to have a smooth reflective finish so the vinyl would not work.

I did find cheaper spray paints, but I'm not sure how good they will work and if they actually will work on a metal/aluminum/plastic chassis. http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-CS101-Chrome-Instant-Enamel/dp/B001DKR3C4

Edit: Looking at this website it looks like I might be able to use these automotive paints to make the reflective chrome finish. What do you think?

some ideas ..

Bare Metal Foil ... http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html

Mirrachrome ... http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirrachrome.htm

Smaller quantities of Mirrachrome paint ... http://www.kustomrides.com/chrome-paints/

From the Resource Database ... http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=31

On the west coast customs tv show they did a chrome/mirror finish on a car with clear rims lit blue, it was a tron theme. They used a very expensive method though, probably the hydro chrome, but I remember them spraying silver on it too.. I've wanted to do a whole case like that since. I have experiment with different spray paints and clears..but I still haven't got what im looking for. My next step is to have a talk with a friend at the body shop and trying out some of the automotive chrome paint. Good luck to you, and please update.

I want to have the entire interior of my case have a shiny reflective mirror coating to it. What would be the least expensive way to do this? I know there are things like Hydro Chrome which would be $200... Are there any other solutions? I don't care if it's very reflective, but it has to be reflective enough to be called a mirror.
    Two idea's that might save you some bucks. The first is have the local automotive bumper recon shop chrome the case. Take it completely apart and strip or sandblast the pieces. Most cases are held together with pop rivet's. Drill them out with a 1/8 bit.. Heat the seams with a propane torch if need be to soften any primer/sealer that may be holding the pieces together. A little care and common sense goes a long way here. Now take a few small flat parts to the chrome shop and get a price. As a box, and getting the inside done is very time consuming for the plating place.That's why it's $200. And don't tell 'em it's a computer case. Heat shields for uncle Fred's '71 Gremlin project car or something (creative BS goes a long way here too).
    Another option is polished stainless steel. If you are handy with snips cut to fit pieces that will go where you see them the most. Then simply glue them in place with automotive windshield urethane. Again, taking the whole case apart would make this method easier and inexpensive as well. $50 bucks tops. Use whatever chrome spray can paint you have to paint the original case pieces prior to assembly and you got mirror's aplenty.
    In my world of autobody collision repair, restoration, and race car fabrication there is a quote I like from Gene Winfield I think applies, "we got metal, welders, torches and bondo. Anything's possible". Have fun

riyletanya
    A great idea. Thanks a lot, I am gonna do that on my pc.

what about polyurethane lacquer ? It's very bright (though it may not be what you're looking for after all ^^)
    Bye,
    B

Thread Information