Thread: Steler Nation- Phantom full tower case mod--in progress

Steeler Nation- Phantom full tower case mod--in progress

Name:  SteelersName.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  9.3 KB

Steeler Nation

The inspiration for this mod is my football team, the Pittsburgh Steelers who are celebrating their 80th anniversary as a football organization. But it represents a lot more than that. It is also a tribute to the fans, who can be found anywhere in the US. Even on road games, you will see Steeler Nation in force in the parking lot, hear them in the stands and see them on your TV. We are almost a nation unto ourselves, a people who bleed black and gold. So I give you Steeler Nation.

This project began in the planning stages over a year and a half ago. It had seen starts and stops, stalls and every kind of disaster, hiccup, and unplanned emergency you could imagine along the way. It has been a labor of love and quite literally my blood, sweat, and tears stain every part of it. And it has nearly reached a conclusion. I hope to be finished in two weeks, barring any other emergencies or hiccups.
    Last edited by buzznut; 11-19-2012 at 09:05 PM.

So I started with a White NZXT Phantom full tower. The minute I saw the case I knew I wanted to use it for a mod. The ideas for this mod started over 2 years ago, but the real planning didn't start until I bought the case a year and a half ago. At that time it was pretty new and I thought I had something really original going. Of course there came a slew of Phantom mods, but we have struggled financially over the last two years. In addition, my wife has had numerous medical issues most of which had to do with her feet. She spent 4 months in a wheelchair, and is just starting to get back on her feet.

At any rate, for many, many reasons this project has taken much longer than anticipated. I have spent months waiting to get enough money to buy parts, I have gone for extended periods where nothing was happening, and I have painted the case at least 3 times.

Name:  PhantomDiassembled1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  37.0 KB

Name:  PhantomDis2.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  96.7 KB

Name:  PhantDis3.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  33.9 KB

At this point I need to clarify something. My mod was planned a long time ago and I thought I had no reason to worry about my ideas being original. For whatever reason however, I decided to keep things under wraps for a very long time. Then one day I saw a fantastic mod by MyBadOmen--it looked like someone had walked into my workshop and implemented everything I was working on.
    A yellow and black themed Phantom mod, with white lighting, etc, etc. He did an amazing job! I am certain there will be comparisons and questions about where I came up with my ideas. The truth is I started my project before he did, and I have the pictures to prove it.

Well, one thing I have found so far is that my work is polarizing; people either love it or hate it. So my detractors can say what they will, but my ideas are my own, and while I wasn't inspired by the Viper mod I must say that it is amazing like the rest of MyBadOmen's work. My favorite is actually the Mass Effect mod. I can certainly link to his work log if anyone is unfamiliar his work.

After speaking with David, we both agreed I should continue with my mod. Having said that, I did implement some design changes to differentiate our builds from one another.

In particular I moved away from white lighting and am using primarily yellow LEDs. Also I have created my own custom paint, which I call Steelers Gold. A majority of what I post will be later work, the old stuff being irrelevant and repetitive. My best work has been in the last couple of months anyway so thats all good. hopefully that will clarify most questions, but I do welcome questions, comments, and constructive criticisms of my work. It will only make me better in the long run, and I don't have a huge ego. The way I see it, life is a learning experience and if you think you know it all already then what are you still doing here?

So the main thing I liked about the Phantom was its unusual looks. As I started to tear down, however I was very impressed by how it just seemed geared toward modders. Most cases are setup a certain way, and the manufacturers don't appear to make any considerations toward modders. This case seems to be made to be modded, almost all the pieces, even the smallest ones are easily removed (and even more important-restored!) and I found the various options for drive placement to be innovative. Of course things have changed a lot since then, but I say its mostly because of the Phantom that some of these things have come to be fairly standard on upper end cases.

I loved it so much that I bought a matching power supply, the NZXT Hale 90 750W Gold PSU. Its a SuperFlower!!

Name:  Power supply SS 004.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  92.1 KB

Oh really? We'll have to see about that.

Well, that's it for tonight. My wife is expecting me to join her.

Thread Information