Thread: What should be first?

Master Modder

What should be first?

I've made my primary purchase of a Biostar SLI mobo, AMD64 proc and eVGA 6800XT graphics card, now I thought I should ask to find out which to upgrade first the system memory which is PC2700 (512mg) or the harddrive (IDE-100). The PC2700 is the slowest the mobo can use and the mobo is setup for SATA. So my question is, which will give me the greatest boost, the HDD or Memory. I only have the funds to purchase one or the other at this time. Here is what the system is running with. Mobo-Biostar N4SLI-A9, eVGA 6800XT, KingstonValue PC2700, CD-RW+DVD, WD 40gig IDE-ATA100, using onboard sound and NIC. Will start with 512mg on the memory and then later get another 512. This is the system that's going into the Red Lantern. Happy Modding and all comments and ideas are welcomed. :idea:

What should be first?

I would say the memory.... while working on programs the memory gets lots of use. sort of a hand in hand with the CPU. and a Athon 64 your memory is a bottle neckwith one stick. get a two stick (dual channel) makes a world of difference. I started my Athon64 with 512 (400Mhz) and when I got the cash I went Dual channel 1 Gig. The difference was more then when I ever got when doubling memory in Non- Duel channel Mobos.

Master Modder

What should be first?

Thank you Krystal, I have been using the dual setup but with these new SATA HDD I didn't know if the faster memory in dual would be the best boost to the system vs the SATA HDD. I will wait until I have the full amount to get the dual memory setup of PC3200. Again thank you and Happy Modding.

What should be first?

Yes when dealing with a64s its crucial to have dual channel memory set up. Otherwise if you had that i would have said the HDD because that does make quite the difference in overall preformance for me.

What should be first?

Memory no doubt about it.

You will be using the memory a lot more than the HD's. Once you start a game and load the map you will be running mostly out of memory with a few short burst to the HD. The more memory you have the less it will have to get off the HD. A faster HD will decrease your load times on games and programs.

Master Modder

What should be first?

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered and will receive the 1gig of PC3200 today. This will replace the 512mg of PC2700. Will replace the HDD within the month. Getting giddy just thinking about this upgrade.

What should be first?

Hehehe.... he said "giddy"....

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/Quakecon.wmv

(Those that know me will find the humor in this post....)

What should be first?

LOL when was that Tech?

What should be first?

I believe it was 3 QC's ago... not this year, not last year, but the year before that.

Thread Information